Is everyone that owns a BB10 device even aware of this great feature and how it works? Blackberry didn't seem to tout it even tho its something built-in that no other OS has as a feature...This sets BB10 apart and isn't a catch up or copied feature yet they've not even thought to advertise it... Just a thought....
    09-10-13 02:08 PM
    It is awesome when it works.... but it hardly ever works right for me. I would suggest that it is basically a beta, and as such I wouldn't advertise it until it works more consistently.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 02:20 PM
    Is everyone that owns a BB10 device even aware of this great feature and how it works? Blackberry didn't seem to tout it even tho its something built-in that no other OS has as a feature...This sets BB10 apart and isn't a catch up or copied feature yet they've not even thought to advertise it... Just a thought....
    If it worked flawlessly 100% of the time, I'd add it to the list of things they can't market properly.

However, it
    • works great for some users.
    • doesn't work at all for some users.
    • started out working for some users, then stopped.
    • started out not working for some users, then started.
    • works sometimes, when it feels like it.

I believe those for whom it works flawlessly are in the minority. For the rest, it's a hit-or-miss feature if and when it does work, and that can change hourly. Advertising it would not be wise until the kinks are worked out.
    09-10-13 02:26 PM
    If it worked flawlessly 100% of the time, I'd add it to the list of things they can't market properly.

However, it
    • works great for some users.
    • doesn't work at all for some users.
    • started out working for some users, then stopped.
    • started out not working for some users, then started.
    • works sometimes, when it feels like it.

I believe those for whom it works flawlessly are in the minority. For the rest, it's a hit-or-miss feature if and when it does work, and that can change hourly. Advertising it would not be wise until the kinks are worked out.
    This I can agree with. I'm on a leak so it isn't currently working for me. Hopefully with link v1.2 it will be up to par and working 100% will be the majority, but it needs to be shown off. They need to stop the let the users find out on their own approach and do adverts with people using these. People relate to People.
    09-10-13 02:54 PM
    I use this feature all the time... I'll explain three settings..

1. I design websites (among other things) and get a lot of orders for mobile and responsive design.. normally I'd have to link the phone through USB and copy paste files to the phone anytime I want to check the changes I made.. Not with the Z... I just refresh my browser as if I was working on a desktop website on my desktop..!

2. My wife has her friend over from time to time which forces me unto the balcony (small house and don't want to listen to them)... taking the laptop or tablet is way too much weight and uncomfortable on a small stool (which I used to do a lot before the Z)... Now I only take the Z with me...!

3. We used to watch a lot of downloaded movies and series on our big screen TV through HDMI from the laptop... I hate the process of having to unplug my 360 HDMI, put it in the laptop and stand up every time I want to put something else on and replugging the 360 when I'm done.. now I just browse the file on the Z and play it through DLNA or WIFI...

There are many other instances I use this feature... like playing music.. at home I kinda use my laptop as a wireless external hard drive for my Z...

Three minor complaints I can live with but should be fixed by BlackBerry to make the experience all the more richer...

1. To copy a file from the desktop to the phone (within the file manager) or the other way around takes a ****load of time.. if I was able to copy 200MB from one to the other in a minute (which I think should be realistic - correct me if I'm wrong) I would rearrange the content on my phone every day... I now hardly ever change the content...

2. The feature should be available with the desktop on stand by.. I can understand it wouldn't work with the computer off, but at least on stand by.. the desktop is still connected to the WIFI... I wouldn't use this feature more (I already use it extensively) but it would make the experience that much better...

3. The Z should be available as a hard drive on the computer without BlackBerry Link open... if I want to see the Z on the desktop I have to open BlackBerry Link.. I can see all my desktop files on the Z without opening Link, this should be available the other way around as well...

Long story short.. I love the feature, use it extensively and could be even better if tweaked just a little... I feel sorry for those who can't get it to work because this is one of the things I now take for granted and wouldn't want to do without...

@ those that can't get it working... are you sure you're doing it right? The setup isn't straight forward and it takes a little getting used to how it works after initial setup... Good luck..!

From the Z...
    09-10-13 03:23 PM
    09-10-13 03:27 PM

1. I design websites (among other things) and get a lot of orders for mobile and responsive design.. normally I'd have to link the phone through USB and copy paste files to the phone anytime I want to check the changes I made.. Not with the Z... I just refresh my browser as if I was working on a desktop website on my desktop..!

2. My wife has her friend over from time to time which forces me unto the balcony (small house and don't want to listen to them)... taking the laptop or tablet is way too much weight and uncomfortable on a small stool (which I used to do a lot before the Z)... Now I only take the Z with me...!

3. We used to watch a lot of downloaded movies and series on our big screen TV through HDMI from the laptop... I hate the process of having to unplug my 360 HDMI, put it in the laptop and stand up every time I want to put something else on and replugging the 360 when I'm done.. now I just browse the file on the Z and play it through DLNA or WIFI...

There are many other instances I use this feature... like playing music.. at home I kinda use my laptop as a wireless external hard drive for my Z...

Three minor complaints I can live with but should be fixed by BlackBerry to make the experience all the more richer...

1. To copy a file from the desktop to the phone (within the file manager) or the other way around takes a ****load of time.. if I was able to copy 200MB from one to the other in a minute (which I think should be realistic - correct me if I'm wrong) I would rearrange the content on my phone every day... I now hardly ever change the content...

2. The feature should be available with the desktop on stand by.. I can understand it wouldn't work with the computer off, but at least on stand by.. the desktop is still connected to the WIFI... I wouldn't use this feature more (I already use it extensively) but it would make the experience that much better...

3. The Z should be available as a hard drive on the computer without BlackBerry Link open... if I want to see the Z on the desktop I have to open BlackBerry Link.. I can see all my desktop files on the Z without opening Link, this should be available the other way around as well...

Long story short.. I love the feature, use it extensively and could be even better if tweaked just a little... I feel sorry for those who can't get it to work because this is one of the things I now take for granted and wouldn't want to do without...

@ those that can't get it working... are you sure you're doing it right? The setup isn't straight forward and it takes a little getting used to how it works after initial setup... Good luck..!

From the Z...
    Check Storage and Access in Settings. You shouldn't need Link open for anything unless backing up or restoring, or changing settings.

As far as "doing it right" yes - some of us are. BBID is the fail point.

Posted via CB10
    grumpyaeroguy likes this.
    09-10-13 07:57 PM

From the Z...

I Love my PB and use it heavily also.
    Regarding your 3 complaints, these are easy:
    1. My connection over Wi-Fi is 154MB, which is quite acceptable for me.
    2. This is not a BlackBerry issue but rather the limitation of the computer. Sleep Mode is just that -the processor powers down to a sleep state as well as the HDD or SSD switching to low power mode.
    A good analogy is like expecting you to brush your teeth or take a shower while you are sleeping.
    3. Get your Wi-Fi working, then map a persistent drive to your Z/Q10 using the phones IP. It works great, without Link!
    09-10-13 08:20 PM
    Remote File Access-img_00000055.png

Is this what you are talking about this is my most used thing on my Q10 works so good even on 3G just awesome

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 04:12 AM
    Btw it's not Blackberry's fault you people can't get it going it's all about ports firewalls and user accounts made correctly.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 04:15 AM
    You have to be able to sign into BB ID to use it. I haven't been able to do so for months, despite uninstalling and reinstalling link and disabling all virus and firewall software. I gave up some time back, after a phone chat with BB support through T-Mobile failed to fix it.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    09-11-13 04:58 AM
    Check Storage and Access in Settings. You shouldn't need Link open for anything unless backing up or restoring, or changing settings.

As far as "doing it right" yes - some of us are. BBID is the fail point.

Posted via CB10
    You are right... I forgot that I had disabled the WIFI connection... so #3 on the list of complaints is gone with the wind... I do recall, now that I think of it, using the Z on the desktop through WIFI... stupid me.. thanks..!

From the Z...
    09-11-13 10:04 AM
    I Love my PB and use it heavily also.
    Regarding your 3 complaints, these are easy:
    1. My connection over Wi-Fi is 154MB, which is quite acceptable for me.
    2. This is not a BlackBerry issue but rather the limitation of the computer. Sleep Mode is just that -the processor powers down to a sleep state as well as the HDD or SSD switching to low power mode.
    A good analogy is like expecting you to brush your teeth or take a shower while you are sleeping.
    3. Get your Wi-Fi working, then map a persistent drive to your Z/Q10 using the phones IP. It works great, without Link!
    1. My WIFI has 150 MB speed so I think my laptop is the one lagging... I usually get up to 64 on my Z... It's a beast..
    2. Dead on with the analogy...
    3. Has already been taken care of...

Thanks..!

From the Z...
    09-11-13 10:10 AM
    Btw it's not Blackberry's fault you people can't get it going it's all about ports firewalls and user accounts made correctly.

Posted via CB10
    hmmmmm, not sure where to start on this one. Let's start here:

You can't be serious, right?

I have been working in Beta Zone for months trying to assist BB with logs and all sorts of other things to help them figure out the problem (very) many folks have with their collective ports and firewalls, as you so simplistically want to put it.

I have re-created the non working RFA literally COUNTLESS times and sent countless logs to them. TO BBs CREDIT, and I want this to be clear, the response and help from them I have been getting has been great. In fact, they even acknowledge (to me, at least) that you are dead wrong that that is ALL that it is. That being said, IF ports and firewalls are NOT set up correctly, certainly this can stop it dead in its tracks. But that's not the whole story.

Heck, the first thing I asked them was to go thru my firewall settings and make sure I haven't kicked this thing in its kiwis unknowingly. Yes, BB agreed that all was OK there.

I can access RFA, and have it work beautifully, with my router/firewall in place. Five minutes later, without the device moving so much as an inch, both boxes show up as "off line". Right, must be my firewall and ports (that haven't been touched in that 5 minutes).

Since you appear to be so sure of yourself, help me, BB and everyone else out by explaining why one can reproduce inaccessible drives after hooking the machine DIRECTLY to the internet with no router, firewall or ANY kind of security between them (locally)., and have it work one minute but not the next. Feel free to PM me your answer, and I promise I will foward it directly to the folks that I have been collaborating with at BB. I am sure they will thank you.

It's not ALL about ports and firewalls. IF you are so sure, fix it for all of us with another 1 sentence post. Otherwise, educate yourself before drawing a broad-based, incorrect, single-point conclusion.

It may be working great for some (and consistently). For many, and I would venture to say the "many" are the "majority", it is a GREAT feature that has bugs to be worked out of it that are being worked.
    09-11-13 11:59 AM
    I was unaware. Didn't really bother with BlackBerry link. I've always found their desktop software to be touch and go at the best of times.

Found this very easy to set up. Just follwed the on screen instructions. Worked fine, first time. Jackpot. Fingers crossed it doesn't randomly turn sour one day for no reason.

Seems like a pretty good feature and you're right they should promote it more!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 05:04 PM
    Love this feature

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 05:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you come down off your high horse for a second and tell us what's the problem when Link says there's no Z10 linked to BBID after it's been working for two months, what then? Ports incorrect? Try again, that's a BlackBerry issue that needs corrected. BlackBerry Link isnt perfect, it's as much to blame as anything else.

Also let's see your explanation for those people who had it working error-free and then just suddenly stop. And you can skip saying users changed settings, we want to hear about those instances where it just quit or started with no changes made to the network. Because that's what the users here with it not working want to know. No network settings were changed, just quits. Poof. And then it starts working, and hasn't quit since! Ohmahgawd! Magic! And let's not exclude those with the latest leak where sometimes it doesn't work outside their home WiFi (noted many times in the thread), crap they must have sneezed wrong or something which un-configured their accounts and changed network settings in the process!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 06:38 PM