OK, after maybe a month of using the Q10, I am seeing more smudges and rainbow effects on the screen. My guess is that the screen has an oleophobic (anti-oil) coating which wears away.

I was reading about auto windshield cleaners like Rain-X which do a good job.

Any recommendations for long-term solutions, oher than just using a screen protector or wiping away with a microfiber cloth?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 05:47 PM
    OK, after maybe a month of using the Q10, I am seeing more smudges and rainbow effects on the screen.
    Are you saying you've been using it for a few weeks now, but have never cleaned the screen?

My guess is that the screen has an oleophobic (anti-oil) coating which wears away.

I was reading about auto windshield cleaners like Rain-X which do a good job.

Any recommendations for long-term solutions, oher than just using a screen protector or wiping away with a microfiber cloth?
    Personally -- I would never dream of using any kind of liquid cleaner on my Q10.

I wipe mine down daily with a microfiber cloth, and will also wipe it down mid-day if I've been using it heavily and it starts getting too smudgy for gestures to work smoothly. I may have missed a day here or there, but I can't say I've ever gone more than 48 hours without using the microfiber on it... (Definitely not a month! )
    Anatomy likes this.
    07-23-13 07:29 PM
    Are you saying you've been using it for a few weeks now, but have never cleaned the screen?

Personally -- I would never dream of using any kind of liquid cleaner on my Q10.

I wipe mine down daily with a microfiber cloth, and will also wipe it down mid-day if I've been using it heavily and it starts getting too smudgy for gestures to work smoothly. I may have missed a day here or there, but I can't say I've ever gone more than 48 hours without using the microfiber on it... (Definitely not a month! )
    Haha same here..thats just nayyyyystaiiiii

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Q10
    neefer likes this.
    07-23-13 11:11 PM
    Consider using a matte screen protector?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 11:19 PM
    Screen protector or just wipe it with a cloth that they give you for your glasses. I do it every morning and night.
    07-24-13 12:05 AM
    Wash hands. Use BlackBerry. Repeat
    anon(4275744) and 3_M4N like this.
    07-24-13 12:27 AM
    With my screen protector, I notice the smudges even more. Drives me nuts, quite frankly. Like everyone else, I use a micro fiber cloth. Most effective thing I've found.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:11 AM
    personally I prefer using matte screen protectors. Ok, so you lose a little screen clarity,but not too much.

The advantage is that they hide fingerprints really well (I find gloss screen protectors smudge even worse than having no protector at all). I also find that matte protectors produce less friction than gloss, so swipe gestures are more fluid.

Also, the matte screen works really well in conjunction with BB10 devices as the phones themselves have matte bodies so from an aesthetic point of view they look really cool and stand out even more from the hordes of shiny shiny iPhones and Galaxy devices that abound IMHO

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:31 AM
    For camera lenses and filters I use a B&W filter cleaner. It cleans nicely and leaves a slightly slick coating on the surface, isn't abrasive and keeps muck from sticking afterwards.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 02:03 AM