Just after my Q10 was forced to update to the 10.3.2.440 by AT&T in June of 2015 it started to exhibit a bunch of very odd behavior. It took a lot of my contacts and modified them in really weird ways but even more troubling was the way it would randomly delete either some of the information from a contract but most often the entire contact would vanish! No pattern that I could see. Some were recently added but some were ones that I have had (like family members or long term friends) for decades. I would put them back and then a few days later a different one would be gone, and sometimes I would have to restore the same ones more than once over six months.

It finally slowly quit happening as often but between that and the horrible mess it made out of what had been five neatly organized pages of apps (that were carefully set by how often I used them) since the update created fifteen scrambled pages of apps from the order and made my Q10 act weird I decided NOT to install the incremental .566 and have waited for the bigger (as yet unreleased!) update. However the stupid thing has been deleting contacts again! Even though the BlackBerry tech support people told me that there wasn't supposed to be anything in the 440 that should have caused this OR anything in the .556 to fix it I'm at a loss. Do I just have a defective Q10? Opinions? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    09-02-16 07:22 AM
    Contact your carrier as this happened to me and it was a carrier issue.
    09-02-16 11:30 AM
    I guess it's not deleting your contacts (as it's not a behaviour of the OS), but automatically merge them.

Disable the Automatically Merge Settings in your Contacts app settings.

And if your contacts are synchronized from an outside service (carrier, Gmail, etc...), check there also.
    09-03-16 07:28 AM
    I don't have ANY outside connection to cause this. Other than doing a sync via USB Cable directly to my laptop to connect to the BlackBerry link and Microsoft Office (the PC only version, no cloud component) my Q10 has never connected to any other sources for contact, calendar or OS updates.

Also, since I am worried that whatever is causing the problem could corrupt my master contact and backup image I haven't done a sync with my laptop since June 2015! BlackBerry tech support could not promise me that the issue wouldn't just become a permanent part of every backup that I restored to the Q10 if I did a sync, even though they didn't offer any kind of solutions to fix the issue!

AT&T insists the issue has to be hardware or software based, and while I blame them for a host of other problems I suffer with daily I have to give them a pass here. Since I don't get any address services from carrier I don't see how they could make my cell delete any.

09-03-16 02:00 PM
    Just an update, (as I expected they would do) AT&T continues to blame any issues with my service to be the fault of my Q10 rather than any flaws in their network. Big surprise, eh? I just discovered another number magically vanished from my contacts, but this one isn't a number that I added! The 4 character codes for checking my account balance, checking data usage and one other that all were programmed into the phone when I 1st activated it have vanished. I didn't know if they would have restored themselves after a reboot so I tried with no success.
    This is getting kind of old so I wish it were resolved, but I instead just hope that the 10.3 update arrives soon. Even if the update isn't designed to fix this issue I thought maybe just a fresh OS install might help with some of these. I've been watching the posts so I know BlackBerry passed a development point for the new update and most here think it'll be a minimal change but I can hope for stability at least!

09-30-16 07:30 AM
    Did you ou did you not disable the Automatically Merge Settings in your Contacts app settings ?

Because your 4 characters code is probably located now under the same contact profile as your bank, as they probably share part of the same name...
    09-30-16 07:43 AM
    Did you ou did you not disable the Automatically Merge Settings in your Contacts app settings ?

Because your 4 characters code is probably located now under the same contact profile as your bank, as they probably share part of the same name...
    I turned that off months ago, and I just checked. It is still showing "off" and I guess you missed the meaning. AT&T preloaded 4 digit codes that you can hit just like you would to place a call from any of your other contacts. ONE of the codes lets you check amount & due date of the next cell phone bill. Has nothing it remotely looks like since each one consists of *, then four numbers that if you look at keypad spell bill, data, etc followed by #

I don't know about yours but my bank has an actual name that only has letters in it. what possible way could it try to merge *3282# with any other contact? So I think my Q10 has some other issue.

Anyone seen this before or have an idea of the cause? I'm getting tired of finding out a contact is missing from the memory of my BlackBerry only when I'm away from my PC so I can't look at backup.
    Thanks for thinking about it though, I appreciate your effort! :-)

10-01-16 12:52 AM
    Hum, can you start the Contact app and from the "hamburger" on the bottom left corner, select SIM card Contacts ? Did you see any short number here ?
    10-01-16 11:14 AM
    Nope. I don't have anything saved as SIM contacts. I've been keeping it on local contacts, and it shows both PC's that I've used to sync as contacts as well. I checked those too but the missing dozen or so entries aren't there either. This bothers me as well since the phone codes and also the different people who used to be there would have been there too!

In fact two of the contacts that vanished are for friends that I've had in every cell phone I've owned! One is a buddy I've known since 1970, another since 1976! So I noticed those missing at the beginning of this annoying issue. The other ones were numbers I didn't call as often so I don't know if they initially erased at the same time since I didn't notice until I needed to call them.

So much for that idea, but thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't looked there because I haven't bothered to save contacts to SIM with the new SIM card AT&T wanted me to try meant to fix connection issues. I always saved to sim in the past but don't worry about it on my Q10 since I don't travel without my laptop and all my contacts are saved with the M$ Office 2007 that I use for calendar and contacts. So if the cell was broken I would just sync up to it with a new cell and they're put back.

I just haven't done a sync for almost a year because I don't want to risk whatever is causing this to somehow corrupt my master list.

10-01-16 01:39 PM
    Well, I decided to reply to my own post in the hope that "bumping" this to new activity might lead to someone running across this who might have a solution, or even a new angle of attacking the issue.

I just ran across several more missing contacts that I've had for over 8 years! I haven't changed the settings to any other way for my Q10 to sort contacts nor have I done a sync. The device is somehow erasing entire listings, not just losing one of the stored numbers for people who are long-term contacts. Friends and relatives, with most having cell, home and work numbers stored. I was out of town a few days ago and wanted to call an old friend just to discover that his entire listing was gone. As is the common case I had forgotten his number since my cellphones always kept them for me! Finally remembered it, but when he told me to call another old contact I wound up having to call him back to get the number after I found that one missing too! This is getting really old, and I rely on my BlackBerry as an important business tool. NOT being able to trust it is a very new and upsetting experience.

Ideas anyone?

10-17-16 06:47 AM
    I guess you don't want me to answer
    And I invite anyone to post new ideas ont the subject.

That said, again, if you have disabled the Automatically Merge Settings in your Contacts app, kept your contacts only in the Local group, not added any other accounts that can sync contacts (social to email) and revoked any Contacts permission for all your apps... your issue is a total mystery...

Did you have any other issue with the device memory ? Files that are missing ? Did you work at an airport or go with your phone through security portal ? Or go near any strong magnetic field ?...
    10-18-16 12:39 PM
    Joshu, I have made certain that the settings ARE the way you just posted, I haven't flown since January and don't go near strong magnetic fields. That's why I also am mystified! :-(

10-19-16 07:00 AM