My friend gave me his Q10 and said it just died out of nowhere. I tried plugging it into the PC and it connects and quickly disconnects.

I can only get the red power light to pop on for a second before the phone powers off.

Is it fried?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 02:17 PM
    Make sure the Battery is in good and tight , and run an autoloader to see if it connects.or hook up to BBlink
    09-02-14 02:33 PM
    I can get it to connect so far to BlackBerry Link. That must be a good sign. Doing a reload of the device software right now. Seems to be taking it!

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:53 PM
    My friend gave me his Q10 and said it just died out of nowhere. I tried plugging it into the PC and it connects and quickly disconnects.

I can only get the red power light to pop on for a second before the phone powers off.

Is it fried?
    I've noticed that if a Q10 has wi-fi on and is connected through USB, the preference will be to connect with wi-fi for BlackBerry Link. Since you're getting a quick flash then power off, it seems you'll need to charge it for a while, as it's probably discharged past a bootable level.

If you encounter a Q10 that doesn't even flash the LED and won't turn on, take out the battery and let the whole phone completely discharge overnight. It should accept charge and boot the next day.
    09-02-14 04:02 PM
    I think it took the reload of software. The Keypad lights up when I push buttons but the screen doesn't show any sign of life.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 05:49 PM
    I think it took the reload of software. The Keypad lights up when I push buttons but the screen doesn't show any sign of life.
    Hopefully the screen isn't dead. There's no reason for it. Have you checked in the battery compartment for the little white sticker, the one that turns red if water has entered the inside of the phone? If the screen isn't cracked, perhaps there's a short due to water infiltration?

You could try taking the battery out and letting the Q10 sit overnight to let any charge dissipate from internal capacitors. Power it up again tomorrow and hopefully you'll see the boot sequence.
    09-02-14 06:10 PM
    Hopefully the screen isn't dead. There's no reason for it. Have you checked in the battery compartment for the little white sticker, the one that turns red if water has entered the inside of the phone? If the screen isn't cracked, perhaps there's a short due to water infiltration?

You could try taking the battery out and letting the Q10 sit overnight to let any charge dissipate from internal capacitors. Power it up again tomorrow and hopefully you'll see the boot sequence.
    You don't have to let it sit out overnight, if you take the battery out and then press the power button it will dissipate any charge left immediately

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 06:36 PM
    If the battery got hot when charging or simply when the Q10 was running, as does happen sometimes, it can deform slightly. This can be enough to prevent it from making good contact with the battery connection prongs. You can try putting a paper shim, maybe a sliver of a business card, between the battery and housing directly opposite the battery contacts. Eventually a replacement battery might be necessary, but this simple procedure can often get you back up and running. See if it charges after applying the paper shim.
    09-02-14 10:02 PM