The replacement keyboards are so cheap--$3.99 with free shipping. The Q5 is easy to take apart. Make sure power is off and remove back cover and loosen 6 screws. You don't even have to detach any of the ribbon cables. You can gentle lift one side of the board and remove the keyboard to one side at an angle and put the other one in from that side and put it back together. It can be done in 5 min to 10 max. I wish there was a blue or green keyboard but I'm happy to customize it a bit even if the keyboard is just black. My mom has my black Q5 with the white keyboard and she loves it. Believe it or not, I get more looks and people asking me about my Q5 than my Classic, Q10, Passport or Z10 ever did. I don't think the slider will get any more attention than my Q5 either. Not sure if I'm going to buy to find out either.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and elfabio80 like this.
    08-12-15 08:54 PM
    Oh, a black Q5 with a red keyboard looks good too. I ran that look last year.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-12-15 08:55 PM
    Wooow +2

NEVER ever thought I would want a white phone. Good looking phone. If nothing else a white Q10 to "retire" the 99. Little easier to swallow $139 vs $1k just so you have bragging rights.
    08-13-15 12:40 AM
    Q5 is a zero problem all weather phone if calls and messages are your priority. Q10 takes aesthetics a notch up with its great-to-the-touch carbon fibre back but for me personally I was never going to be happy with its amoled screen. You could never spot any performance difference in Q5 versus the better spec'd Q10.
    08-13-15 07:44 AM
    Yeah Mr4aces, just what Venky said 10 x over. Besides the keyboard on the Q10, which I never cared for, the screen is what killed if for me. Brightness wise, as I said before, Q5 is only slightly brighter and mean just slightly. But I can't stand the amoled when compared to an LCD screen. So when I haven't fired up the Q10 in awhile, I get excited to get her going again. But as soon as the boot process is done and the home screen comes up, I then remember why I don't use it and just power right back down. This is what stopped me from buying the Z30. I was going to buy one about a month ago and then looking at the specs, it seemed amazing and for the price it goes for now, it is a steal. But then I saw it wasn't an LCD screen and that is where I put the brakes on and gave up on that idea. I'm the fastest on my Q5 than any of the other BlackBerry 10 devices, except when it comes to text editing and copy and paste. Of course my 9900 wins over all my devices except when it comes to the browser. With all these replies Mr4aces, we can't wait to see what you finally decided. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 09:06 AM
    Well I'm surprised the screen would be a deal breaker in getting the Z30. I did notice the problem in the sun, it really is bad, but other than that it's just such a sweet device. I dont see anything wrong with the screen other than direct sunlight, Z10 IS noticeably better, though.

As for the Q5, i love the phone, and the keyboard for me easier to use than the Bold, although i havent had a Q10. Speakerwise, the Q5 is just fine i listen to talk radio on it every day. It's not amazing like the Z30, but its nothing to complain about. The Q5 is the perfect keyboard phone, i of course prefer a trackpad for it to be 100% perfect. The fact it is so insanely inexpensive makes it a no brainer to want one. Using the phone as a phone one handed is doable when you need to, i tend to ignore a ringing phone if i dont have two hands handy though.
    08-13-15 10:02 AM
    Oh dang I want to try q5. Most people in cb thinks q5 is better than q10. I do have classic and q10 but never tried q5. If you go to ebay, q5 and q10 are both about same price. I may pick up q5 black .

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    08-13-15 06:18 PM
    I would get a Q5 in a second if Verizon carried it.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 07:43 PM
    Q5 all the way here. The most underrated of the BB10 devices. Can't say enough good things about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 07:48 PM
    I've done a lot of research because I'm in the same boat as the OP... Almost.

I love my 9900 and am sticking with it as my business phone. But I have wanted to TRY a BB10 phone for a while. In researching, the Q5 price vs quality can't be beat. And most owners love the phone.

I am ordering a White Q5 as my personal phone on my personal line (replacing the WindowsPhone). I carry a BB 9900 for my primary business line, an Android LG Volt as my 2nd business line (I own two businesses), and a WindowsPhone for my personal line.

If I happen to fall in love with the Q5, I'll just use it as my personal line and you never know, I may replace the 9900 some day, but it will be a long way down the road.

My Droid is white and it looks stellar in a black and white case. White phones can look amazing in the right case.

I'll probably order my Q5 this weekend.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-13-15 08:00 PM
    I have a white Q5. May I suggest that you look at getting the Amzer black soft shell case to go with it for very little expense.

It's a great look and makes the phone a lot easier to use and hold.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and BBerryPowerUser like this.
    08-13-15 08:13 PM
    If your going that route with a case, don't forget to look at the Amzer bumper case. I like that case and the Incipio frequency, which I switch back and forth. Here is a pic with the bumper case.
    Q10 vs Q5 I'm thinking of switching-img_20150813_211912.jpg
    Q10 vs Q5 I'm thinking of switching-img_20150813_211942.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 11:23 PM
    Someone in one of the earlier forums put it correctly i.e Q5 may have suffered lack of recognition largely due to its name - Q5. Put that against Q10 an unsuspecting user would think 5 is only half as capable of a 10. BlackBerry did a disservice by inappropriately naming this pocket dynamite.

 Q5 
    Last edited by Venky Sankaran; 08-15-15 at 08:59 PM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-14-15 09:31 AM
    Very good point Venky. I never thought about it like that till you mentioned it. I do remember it being promoted as a low spec/entry device. But it is strange how this is my favorite one of them. I'm just glad I took the chance to try it. I only took the chance as I liked the way it looks over the Q10. But I never thought that I would like it for the way it functions over the Q10, but I do! Apparently you do too.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-14-15 11:19 AM
    Very good point Venky. I never thought about it like that till you mentioned it. I do remember it being promoted as a low spec/entry device. But it is strange how this is my favorite one of them. I'm just glad I took the chance to try it. I only took the chance as I liked the way it looks over the Q10. But I never thought that I would like it for the way it functions over the Q10, but I do! Apparently you do too.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed Rick. I wanted to use Q5 as a dip stick to experience BB10 before wanting to go classic at some point in the future. BUT.... after using it for a few months now I have all but kept classic off my radar. It even made me leave my Z30 in the drawer. Such incredible has been my experience with this guy. Sometimes you are positively overwhelmed by the things you least expect to perform. I want to say this to those who are thinking about purchasing this device. Don't take the terms of reference such as - low spec'd, cheap, entry level etc - that are being used to describe this phone, very seriously. You will be pleasantly surprised by its performance.
    Mr4aces, double_fault and awindsr like this.
    08-14-15 08:15 PM
    Well it would help if I attach the pictures.
    Attachment 366524
    Attachment 366525
    One is with the case and one without.
    I think it is a nice looking device too.

Posted via CB10
    Since I lost my 99 it was a hard decision but I bought a white Q5 from Amazon just now.

The white look pretty nice
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    08-21-15 07:56 AM
    Since I lost my 99 it was a hard decision but I bought a white Q5 from Amazon just now.

The white look pretty nice
    Excellent. I've got the exact same one (in white) with case in my wish list. I'll add it to cart and click purchase now in mid October. That's when my schedule settles down.

I'll be anxious to read any of your posts about the Q5 and your experience coming from a 9900. I'll be following that same route hot on your heels.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-23-15 09:10 PM
    Q10

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 10:04 PM
    Excellent. I've got the exact same one (in white) with case in my wish list. I'll add it to cart and click purchase now in mid October. That's when my schedule settles down.

I'll be anxious to read any of your posts about the Q5 and your experience coming from a 9900. I'll be following that same route hot on your heels.
    I also ordered the black key board as shown in Rick's photos.

Posted via CB10
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    08-23-15 10:22 PM
    I have been using q5 from almost year and no single issue, I have used q10 also but never liked it cause of double typing issue and its battery! Q5's screen is great, battery is 2200mah, means bigger than q10's, and camera is impressive, and cpu is clocked at 1.2 ghz, but you wont differentiate between q5 and q10 in terms of speed, q5 is having 8gb internal memory and q10 got 16gb, no big deal, there is a memory card slot in both, imo q5 is definitely an ideal phone for me in terms of everything and till now I never regret for my decision when I ditched my iphone for it and may be never will! And one more thing I forgot to mention, thats durability!!! This is where q5 beats q10, I have dropped my q5 around 6 to 7 times from several feets still its working like swiss watch and except few scratches on it, thats alright! Cause q5 is capable of bearing all these!!!!! And my recommendation, GO FOR Q5 BLINDLY and you never regret buying one!!!!!!

Sent from qualified q5
    awindsr likes this.
    08-24-15 07:01 AM
    I have owned 2 Q10s and now a Q5 and I can say without hesitation that the Q5 is my favorite of the 2 models.

My first Q10 had no double-typing issues, but my second one did. My Q5 has not had a single double-typing issue, nor do I expect it to.

I prefer the Q5 keyboard over the Q10. I love the spacing between the keys and the keys themselves are very "clicky" and take a little more force to press. Much more tactile feedback. I love it.

The screen is excellent, as it is LCD, not AMOLED.

I like that the  BlackBerry logo is below the screen, rather than above, allowing for plenty of space for the BB10 gestures.

The battery life is excellent and it easily lasts me through an average day.

Some are concerned the rear-facing camera is only 5 mp. I assure you, it's an excellent camera. I recently took a trip to Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah and here are a few pictures I took with my Q5, no edits, no filters.

Q10 vs Q5 I'm thinking of switching-img_20150806_065944.jpg
    Attachment 368229
    Attachment 368228

The overall design of the Q5 is simple, classy, and sleek. I have the red model, which looks fantastic.

I love my Q5.

Posted from my Q5 via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-24-15 08:34 AM
    The q10 feels feels more like a 9900 to me, it's small like the 9900. Couldn't get into the classic, too big for me. The keyboard replacement is cheap and easy if you run into DT issues

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and BBerryPowerUser like this.
    08-24-15 08:59 AM
    The q10 feels feels more like a 9900 to me, it's small like the 9900. Couldn't get into the classic, too big for me. The keyboard replacement is cheap and easy if you run into DT issues

Posted via CB10
    I do like the Classic, but because of the weight I have to use a holster as I don't like anything that big and heavy in my pants. As for the SQC100-2 goes by the time you get a wireless charger for the car and home you add another $100. Add a Seidio case and holster with tempered glass you have $175.00 in accessories.

All the accessories for the Q5 are cheap. Total under $50.00 vs $175 for the ATT Classic.

My biggest concern is where the OS is going and will the 2gb of RAM be enough to support future OS.
    08-24-15 10:21 AM
    I'm a very satisfied Q5 owner.

I take very few pictures but when I do, I'm always pleasantly surprised how clear they are.

Now I'm reading other people praising the Q5 camera. So much for specs!

Bottom line - phone is great, camera is great.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-24-15 05:44 PM
    Is the q5's 5mp shooter have autofocus ie 9810 and 9850/60? Or is it the edof crap from the 9900?

My 9810 took amazing pictures, far better imo than the z10 and I'd argue my passport as well.. although, it may just be the time period and screen resolutions of those time periods made it appear better than it was.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-25-15 12:15 AM
67 123