I am a heavy Siri user in my iphone. I am coming back to Blackberry in June no doubt.

However I want to be prepared. Who uses blackberry's voice dictation?

I only use it for directions, reminders, scheduling appointments, texting/emailing, searching the web - no more no less.

So can you do that on q10? Can you say "how so I get home" and BB maps pop up and show you the GPS turn by turn?

Also is their a voice turn by turn navigation on BB10/q10? Or is there an app that does that? Is there google maps or does anyone know if there will be?

I know Lots of question but I truly thank you !
    04-28-13 12:31 AM
    And last thing, is it easy to use? Like is it natural? Siri seems very natural and easy to use.

Thanks UN advance!
    04-28-13 12:32 AM
    BB voice is nowhere near Siri in any regard, whether it be natural tone, accuracy or functionality. It's basically a voice dictation app and that's out it. It is not linked in to navigation, so in other words you cannot ask it for directions and have it take you to the navigation app. The voice tone is awful... VERY robotic vs Siri. You can set appts, but not reminders if I remember correctly. I could be wrong on the last part. It also will not give you answers to basic questions like Siri will. If you live and die by Siri, then you will not be happy with BB's version bottom line.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-13 01:20 PM
    I've messed with it. It sounds terrible but you can turn it off.

But that was a demo and I wasn't sure how it was in "the wild"
    04-28-13 02:07 PM
    There is a great article out there that compares all phone voice solutions. Here you go:

http://www.zdnet.com/voice-control-s...0014010/#photo
    Last edited by jasonmelling; 04-28-13 at 05:34 PM.
    04-28-13 02:44 PM
    Siri is total ballz here in the UK. No one here, and I mean no one, ever, ever mentions it.

Just sayn...
    04-28-13 03:36 PM
    Although the BB voice recognition is nowhere near as functional as siri, there's an app called sayit that's supposedly very similar to siri. I haven't used it so i cant confirm this but u can check it out here http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/20384595

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 07:13 PM
    You've control is the pits! Here are my complaints:

Its is barely functional when using a Plantronics Voyager Legend bluetooth. Even with the volume cranked to MAX and in a quite room you almost have to shout. Same Bluetooth on my Storm 9550 was outstanding on this count.

The lack of any verbal prompt when it's first connects for a call is a real pain. It relies on a tone to prompt you to say a command.

It constantly tells you that the voice server is "unavailable" and that you should try later! Really!

If it can't find the person you're trying to call it defaults to "do you want to search the Internet for . . ." Instead of defaulting to "call"

It does not even attempt to "learn" your pronunciation like my Storm 9550 did and it terrible at understanding the difference in the first place.

It does return a list of multiple options for names when it can't understand you, which is often the case. It may be 5 or 6 names long (for example 5 - "Bills") but will only allow you to select one of the first two and the "select other Bill" prompt does not work.

The same pronunciation problems apply to The Text or E-Mail functions. This is compound by the very weak edit features for these applications. These new capabilities were a nice thought but very poorly executed.

If you're on the road 2 to 3 hours a day, the voice dictation feature is a real disappointment and compared to Siri on my wife's I-phone it is a crude and cruddy imitation

Maybe future releases will correct it myriad drawbacks. I'm planning to try "say it" or borrow my wife's I-Phone.
    04-30-13 11:49 AM
    You've control is the pits! Here are my complaints:

Its is barely functional when using a Plantronics Voyager Legend bluetooth. Even with the volume cranked to MAX and in a quite room you almost have to shout. Same Bluetooth on my Storm 9550 was outstanding on this count.

The lack of any verbal prompt when it's first connects for a call is a real pain. It relies on a tone to prompt you to say a command.

It constantly tells you that the voice server is "unavailable" and that you should try later! Really!

If it can't find the person you're trying to call it defaults to "do you want to search the Internet for . . ." Instead of defaulting to "call"

It does not even attempt to "learn" your pronunciation like my Storm 9550 did and it terrible at understanding the difference in the first place.

It does return a list of multiple options for names when it can't understand you, which is often the case. It may be 5 or 6 names long (for example 5 - "Bills") but will only allow you to select one of the first two and the "select other Bill" prompt does not work.

The same pronunciation problems apply to The Text or E-Mail functions. This is compound by the very weak edit features for these applications. These new capabilities were a nice thought but very poorly executed.

If you're on the road 2 to 3 hours a day, the voice dictation feature is a real disappointment and compared to Siri on my wife's I-phone it is a crude and cruddy imitation

Maybe future releases will correct it myriad drawbacks. I'm planning to try "say it" or borrow my wife's I-Phone.
    With all due respect I don't think the native voice control was ever intended to be a SIRI competitor, so your 'cruddy imitation' remark may be a little harsh.

I'd definitely recommend SayIt. It's a lot closer to what you'd expect from SIRI. It's not perfect by any means by it is impressive (imo) and the developers seem keen to constantly improve it - so it will only get better with time. There's also the (not yet released) V1KI app that is meant to also provide SIRI like functionality.

Also, as a side note I'd suggest talking into the mic at the very top of the phone (as opposed to the bottom of the phone) if you haven't done already. I found it greatly improved the accuracy of the native voice control app.
    04-30-13 12:55 PM
    I have used a Samsung 460 bluetooth headset and voice control is fine. Doesn't always get it perfect but I have found it very useful while on the road. Would like to have text read out loud capability added but it has been great for me. Itncan only get better as well. As with all things, if you have used something a certain way, learning a different way can be challenging for some. To each his own, it will differ for each individual based upon needs and ability to adapt. Voice control that quickly adapts to your voice is the way to go and hopefully gets better from all devices. Voice control works great for me!!
    04-30-13 01:42 PM