Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By agp101
  • 1 Post By sam_tek
  • 2 Post By prplhze2000
  • 1 Post By jegs2
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Q10 "Type and Go" = no keyboard shortcuts??

So I recently saw a video of Jeff Gadway and Vivek Bhardwaj demoing the Q10. They showed a feature called "Type and Go" (name is not official). This feature allows you to type things like "Email Fred" and then an icon will show up under the 'results' of what you typed. If you click the icon, a new email composition to 'Fred' pops up.

While I think this feature is pretty cool, I still like my keyboard shortcuts!! I find that it helps me be really efficient with my 9900. It would be so much easier to just hit "B" and have the browser open, as opposed to starting to type "brows---" and then tap on the icon.

I hope this "Type and Go" setting is optional. To me it looks like a glorified "Universal Search" - they should just replace Touch and Go with it. This way, I can hit "S" and search (or Touch and Go) if I need, and I can also have my dedicated keyboard shortcuts.

Ohh!! and one more request... It would be really nice if we can customize our OWN keyboard shortcuts. "H" for Hub, "P" for peek, "T" for Twitter, "E" for SMS, etc...

Q4L

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by quik4life; 02-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,521 Global Posts

Totally agree.. I'm a shortcuts freak in every application, including the homescreen. They should have a setting like in legacy bb devices where you can choose between launch by typing: application shortcuts or universal search. I find the latter is pointless because with the former, pressing "s" launches universal search anyway.

Maybe they will have this, maybe not.. We will have to see. BUT, this is the major differentiating factor for me between the Z10 and Q10. As far as actual typing goes, I can live with the Z10's superior virtual keyboard. Only if the Q10 has shortcuts does it make itself enticing to me.. Without the shortcuts it's a keyboard for just typing and typing alone, something I'd rather experience on a full touch screen with a big experience at this point. If I go for the Q10 it's for the full keyboard experience, nothing less.
    Thanked by:
    Rick Hampson (04-05-2013) 
    DocDRM and sam_tek like this.
    CrackBerry User

On a side not, I grew up with OS6 and OS7. I had a Pearl for OS5 so I never really learned the shortcuts. I love the universal search. I have to wonder how many more people are in this boat. On the current ones you can choose whether you want keyboard shortcuts as well so I would bet you have the same choice on the Q10.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I agree 100%!!!! I live and die by my keyboard shortcuts. I am FAST on my 9900 - I fear I may lose those seconds (minutes?) when I switch over to the Q10.

Quote Originally Posted by agp101 View Post
    Maybe they will have this, maybe not.. We will have to see. BUT, this is the major differentiating factor for me between the Z10 and Q10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    528 Global Posts

In addition to the legacy shortcuts implementation, I'm curious how highlighting text will be executed compared to the usual way; will we use the shift key and the screen as the "trackpad"?
    CrackBerry User

i really hope they allow me to continue using the shortcut keys. its so much fast and easier then finding and tapping the damn icon. the keys dont move so it is easy for me to navigate my phone quickly and still be able to hold a conversation with someone without burying my face in a screen trying to find everything. when it comes to speed and productivity i feel Blackberry is the best device and since i have no interest in any of the millions of crappy apps out there (some i do use though maps/music/navi but no games/entertainment thats what the PB is for!) ill be going Q10 NO QUESTIONS!
    Phone:
    Blackberry Bold 9930 w/32gb mirco sd
    Q10 in July!

tablet:
    Blackberry Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,959 Global Posts

As much as I love the universal search feature and looking forward to that Touch 'n Go feature, I really hope we will still get optional keyboard shortcuts. An option like we have on OS7 where we can just decide whether we'd like to search or hotkeys, would be decent.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts

I'm thinking it will be an option.
    And the "Touch and Go" isn't really new.

On my current BB Torch, you can set home screen options for "Launch By Typing: Universal Search or Application Shortcuts"

So when you're on the home screen. with Application shortcuts, you have apps open up from one key. With universal search, you search contacts and apps, etc.

I've personally got it set to universal search since I like being able to type in someones name so I can quickly call them or text them.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    803 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quik4life View Post
    Ohh!! and one more request... It would be really nice if we can customize our OWN keyboard shortcuts. "H" for Hub, "P" for peek, "T" for Twitter, "E" for SMS, etc...
    I was thinking the same thing! It would be nice, to say like get to a specific folder in Remember by just pressing and holding a key that you define.....Devs?!
    CrackBerry Genius

The idea that touch and go is intended to be a replacement for keyboard shortcuts is unfounded speculation when the reality is far more likely to be that they are simply showing the stuff that is ready to be shown publicly at this point
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts

Personally I love universal search. But I do hope there is an option for keyboard shortcuts for those of us who like keyboard shortcuts. The more options the better. Mainly I do a lot of youtube searches. So I always just start typing what I want to look for and hit the youtube icon. Because of this, whenever we want to look something up, I always beat everyone to the punch. Same with google searches, or anything else. The main reason why I don't really like keyboard shortcuts is because I have my phone password locked. And you don't need to wake up the screen and press unlock before you start typing the password, you can simply start typing and it'll go straight into the password field. So that's what I do, and this is why it interferes with keyboard shortcuts. Sometimes my screen is off but it hasn't been long enough for it to lock itself. But I always instinctively pick up my phone and start typing the password when the screen is black. So many times I would do this and the phone is already unlocked so my password ends up in universal search, which nothing happens when you type it in and press the trackpad. While if I had keyboard shortcuts, I'd be launching all kinds of stuff when this happens, lol.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    PIN
    76A74FF2

I have to have the shortcuts also, worse case scenario is it wont have them but some apps like quick launch & shortcut me will take care of it. I would rather the shortcuts be native but those apps do work very well on legacy devices. I just cant see BB getting rid of that very effective functionality for us keyboard fans. I also hope they will have a shortcut for peek & hub so no need to rub your paws all over the screen which is one of the biggest reasons I love my keyboards
    CrackBerry User

Two points I liked of an earlier post:

I find the latter is pointless because with the former, pressing "s" launches universal search anyway.
    Only if the Q10 has shortcuts does it make itself enticing to me.. Without the shortcuts it's a keyboard for just typing and typing alone, something I'd rather experience on a full touch screen with a big experience at this point. If I go for the Q10 it's for the full keyboard experience, nothing less.
    Really, why else would you need a physical keyboard? Especially when touch screen keyboard's speed and accuracy is fast catching up, if not overtaken yet.

I've been waiting for the q10 assuming the shortcuts are all there. If that doesn't happen, I am walking. Having said that, I believe all the shortcuts will exist in the final build. BB has put too much time and effort into this to miss out on such an absolute necessity.

Shortcuts (hence read: productivity) is really what primarily differentiates bb from the rest.
    jegs2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I don't expect them to have something like a keyboard shortcut for the peek gesture because the main point of that gesture is not simply to see the notification icons it is the options after that which would not suit a single keypress.

I think we will see plenty of keyboard shortcuts where they are appropriate, there are bound to be some in the hub unless they are mad.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,468 Global Posts

i dont use keyboard shortcuts mostly but it would be nice to have the ability to customize the shortcuts....
    Curve 8300 then....Q10 now

Music/Film/Tech
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts

I would think that keyboard shortcuts will be available as well. Things like "T" for scrolling to the top, "B" for scrolling to the bottom is extremely useful in web pages, Hub, etc.

In 10.1 SDK's release notes:
    "Shortcuts - You can now create your own key shortcuts and system shortcuts by using the Shortcut and SystemShortcut classes, respectively. Keyboard shortcuts improve usability and user experience by decreasing the effort required to perform commonly used actions in an application. To learn more, visit the Keyboard shortcuts documentation."

BB would have to be mad to ask developers to include them in their apps, only to not include them in their own OS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

speed dials. What I want to know is will it have speed dials? Very useful when driving.
    Thanked by:
    ViaCassian (04-04-2013) 
    jegs2 and ViaCassian like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,774 Global Posts

I'd prefer it if i just had to type "e fr..." then hit enter as soon has fred moves to the top of the list. I don't want to have to type out entire word whenever I want to email, text, or call someone
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > WebOS > iOS > Android > Symbian > Meego
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prplhze2000 View Post
    speed dials. What I want to know is will it have speed dials? Very useful when driving.
    Concur. When the bluetooth is activated, it's much easier to hold down one key on the phone while stopped at a light than either holding a conversation with my bluetooth device or scanning the phone for the right information.
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work) > Palm Treo 755p > BlackBerry Bold 9930 > BlackBerry Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

For me, speed dials are by far the most important. As of right now, though, The Q10 running 10.1 does not support them.
    The shotcuts within certain apps work, such as 'R' for reply in an email, etc.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by niks1 View Post
    For me, speed dials are by far the most important. As of right now, though, The Q10 running 10.1 does not support them.
    The shotcuts within certain apps work, such as 'R' for reply in an email, etc.
    Well that's too bad, and it may be a deal-breaker. Hopefully they fix that before I'm up for a new phone. Even my ancient Treo has programmable speed-dial.
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work) > Palm Treo 755p > BlackBerry Bold 9930 > BlackBerry Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Did you people read this article from a few days ago? If you didn't, here it is : BlackBerry Q10 OS 10.1 features get detailed | CrackBerry.com It has a section about Q10 Keyboard and application shortcuts
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Cat View Post
    Did you people read this article from a few days ago? If you didn't, here it is : BlackBerry Q10 OS 10.1 features get detailed | CrackBerry.com It has a section about Q10 Keyboard and application shortcuts
    Interesting. Looks like keyboard shortcuts may prevent programmable speed dial, which is an ability I currently have on my 9930. If so, they'll have to fix that before I make the jump to BlackBerry OS 10.

Otherwise, can't see why I'd pay to downgrade.
    vpblaze likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Cat View Post
    While this article mentions "Application Shortcuts", it doesn't seem to satisfy the question at hand. The article only shows shortcuts within applications not the Application Shortcuts from the homescreen which launch applications.

Right now on my OS6 device I can set the option of allowing homescreen key presses to initiate a Universal Search or to launch Application Shortcuts. All that we've seen demoed is that key presses from the homescreen initiate Type and Go. I think what many are asking is: Will we have an option to choose between Type and Go and Application Shortcuts?

Can anyone answer this definitely at this point or will we have to wait on the device itself?
    CrackBerry Abuser