Hi there, curious to know if anybody has any experiences with the ting network and bb10? I bought a good condition sprint q10 and activated it with ting. Btw I searched the rest of the forums and couldn't find anything relating to ting.
    06-01-15 11:47 AM
    I think people may have just stayed away because of the whole "will it or won't it work." Good to know you got the Sprint Q10 to activate on Ting.

I've heard good things about Ting (the network/offerings, etc--nothing specific to the Q10.) Their pricing structure really works for some people.
    06-01-15 03:17 PM
    I think people may have just stayed away because of the whole "will it or won't it work." Good to know you got the Sprint Q10 to activate on Ting.

I've heard good things about Ting (the network/offerings, etc--nothing specific to the Q10.) Their pricing structure really works for some people.
    That's one of my concerns when it comes to the pricing. Apps like BBM, how much data would it use in a regular use basis?
    06-01-15 03:54 PM
    That's one of my concerns when it comes to the pricing. Apps like BBM, how much data would it use in a regular use basis?
    Well, BB10 at worst, is no better than iOS or Android at compressing data. This feature used to be a hallmark of BIS, but BIS is all but gone from BB10.

That doesn't mean BB10 goes out of the way to make sure you consume as much data as possible. There are still data preserving implementations built in. Take BBM, for example. Text-based messages sent across BBM are only 2-4kb per message (so not that much,) but even with media files, there's some control. When you download a photograph, for example, the first download is a low quality one. If you want a HQ picture, you can then request it. Same with uploads. Pictures you send will be sent as low quality and each HQ picture request will have to be approved by you. Away from WiFi? Deny the HQ request. Don't want BBM calls over mobile network? Turn that feature off as well.

Email has a similar feature where you can stop images from downloading automatically.

I would say a 1GB data plan should be enough to test out for the first month. I think Ting has a 500MB tier as well, so if you find yourself using <1GB, you can always adjust for the next month. But just don't go in with a false expectation that you can watch 720p videos over LTE regularly and not end up using a lot of data
    HesSoStrange and dangermou like this.
    06-01-15 04:22 PM
    Well, BB10 at worst, is no better than iOS or Android at compressing data. This feature used to be a hallmark of BIS, but BIS is all but gone from BB10.

That doesn't mean BB10 goes out of the way to make sure you consume as much data as possible. There are still data preserving implementations built in. Take BBM, for example. Text-based messages sent across BBM are only 2-4kb per message (so not that much,) but even with media files, there's some control. When you download a photograph, for example, the first download is a low quality one. If you want a HQ picture, you can then request it. Same with uploads. Pictures you send will be sent as low quality and each HQ picture request will have to be approved by you. Away from WiFi? Deny the HQ request. Don't want BBM calls over mobile network? Turn that feature off as well.

Email has a similar feature where you can stop images from downloading automatically.

I would say a 1GB data plan should be enough to test out for the first month. I think Ting has a 500MB tier as well, so if you find yourself using <1GB, you can always adjust for the next month. But just don't go in with a false expectation that you can watch 720p videos over LTE regularly and not end up using a lot of data
    Thanks a lot man!
    06-01-15 05:36 PM