Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Q10 Specifications

While browsing for new info on the Q10 today, I came MobiCity's website with details on the yet to be released Q10.

In their specification list, they state the battery is 1800mAh and it doesn't seem to be 4G/LTE. I wonder how up to date this is, or whether anyone knows for certain whether these are the latest news?
    Banned

Global Posts
    10,601 Global Posts

That information is wrong.

It's not particularly uncommon for publications to publish incorrect details on products, unfortunately.

I would just advise them to check their details via official sources.

The following publication usually gets the details correct, and provides more detail than most:

BlackBerry Q10 - Full phone specifications

And here is some data right from the manufacturer:

Introducing the BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry Q10: Top 5 Things You Should Know «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for confirmation. I thought it was suspect (or inaccurate), but as I hadn't come across the site in earlier searches, thought it might be new and potentially up-to-date.

Looking forward to the UK release in the not too distant future, I hope!
    CrackBerry Addict

Not so fast! Depends on what country the carrier is selling the phone in. Just as with the Z10, LTE is not available in all markets and carriers, therefore there will most likely be different models of the device reflecting this as well as variations in bands / frequencies.

As far as the battery is concerned. Yes the Q10 will have a 2100 mAH battery vs. the 1800 mAH one on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    chronic BlackBerry addict and abuser
    Banned

Global Posts
    10,601 Global Posts

Since MobiCity is in Australia, and the launch event for Australia was either today or last Friday, I assume he is referring to the Australian market, which does indeed have LTE coverage.

The Z10 being rolled-out in AU will be the STL100-2 model, same one sold in most European countries, with LTE support.

Nonetheless it is a good point to remind people of the differences in service availability from place to place.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

Are you GSM arena is correct?

It states cpu is
    TI OMAP 4470
    CPU Dual-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A9

I thought both Z10 and Q10 would have same CPU, isn't Z10 CPU a Snapdragon S4? What possible reason would they have to change it?

They also state the screen is Super Amoled and some people on this board claim that's made by Samsung, so I doubt Blackberry would outsource their display to a competitor.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Keb View Post
    Are you GSM arena is correct?

It states cpu is
    TI OMAP 4470
    CPU Dual-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A9

I thought both Z10 and Q10 would have same CPU, isn't Z10 CPU a Snapdragon S4? What possible reason would they have to change it?

They also state the screen is Super Amoled and some people on this board claim that's made by Samsung, so I doubt Blackberry would outsource their display to a competitor.
    The Z10 uses both, depending on which region you live in. BlackBerry has never made displays, so they have little choice but to outsource to a competitor.
    Banned

Global Posts
    10,601 Global Posts

The STL100-1, without LTE, uses a TI OMAP processor. The other LTE-capable models use a Qualcomm processor.

Re: buying from Samsung, not much you can do about it, Samsung is the largest manufacturer in the world for certain key smartphone components.

It's an even bigger problem for Apple, because Samsung actually manufactures Apple's unique/proprietary CPUs used in their iPhones. I'm sure they have the relevant contracts, but it still puts them in an uncomfy position.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IllmasterMathematics View Post
    The Z10 uses both, depending on which region you live in. BlackBerry has never made displays, so they have little choice but to outsource to a competitor.
    Which is faster? Has anyone done benchmarks between the two cpus?

Also they could have gone with OLED display not made by Samsung, so I still question that spec. And I don't want that pentile crap that plagued the Galaxy Nexus.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Keb View Post
    Which is faster? Has anyone done benchmarks between the two cpus?

Also they could have gone with OLED display not made by Samsung, so I still question that spec. And I don't want that pentile crap that plagued the Galaxy Nexus.
    They're clocked at the same speed, but the Snapdragon uses the proprietary Krait whatever and has a smaller die, so should be more efficient. Samsung is a component manufacturer above all else. They control 98% of the AMOLED market.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IllmasterMathematics View Post
    They're clocked at the same speed, but the Snapdragon uses the proprietary Krait whatever and has a smaller die, so should be more efficient. Samsung is a component manufacturer above all else. They control 98% of the AMOLED market.
    Thanks for the cpu tip, as for the display, it doesn't mean Blackberry is using Samsung's AMOLED technology, they could just be using OLED?
    Banned

Global Posts
    10,601 Global Posts

"Super AMOLED" is a Samsung-specific technology. I rather doubt Samsung control 98% of the entire OLED market, though their marketshare could be pretty high in AMOLED I suppose. No one else makes Super AMOLED, it's a Samsung trademark. Other companies have their own variations, ie LG has "Ultra AMOLED".

The Q10 will have an AMOLED screen. The screen on the Z10 is a regular active matrix TFT LCD I believe.

The focus on the Q10 is keyboard and efficiency/battery life. That's why they're using the AMOLED. I'd imagine that anyone that really cared about the ultimate screen quality would want the large display anyway. Which I'd imagine is the reason they thought AMOLED would be a good fit for that product.

The Q10 is also going to have a darker display theme than the Z10, since on an OLED display, the darker areas use less power to display.
    Thanked by:
    Chris Marsch (03-18-2013)