So I'm running 10.1.0.4189 and I find that the screen is different than the z10 in the sense that it is dimmer. I turned up brightness up and still nothing. Even in direct sunlight it doesn't hold up to the Z10. Both my Blackberry 10 products are from Verizon but I find that the screen on the Q10 it looks odd. Has anyone had the same issue? The only difference is I have a white Z10 and a black Q10. Does that make any difference?
    11-05-13 11:19 PM
    So I'm running 10.1.0.4189 and I find that the screen is different than the z10 in the sense that it is dimmer. I turned up brightness up and still nothing. Even in direct sunlight it doesn't hold up to the Z10. Both my Blackberry 10 products are from Verizon but I find that the screen on the Q10 it looks odd. Has anyone had the same issue? The only difference is I have a white Z10 and a black Q10. Does that make any difference?
    The Z10 uses an LCD screen while the Q10 uses AMOLED. LCD is a lot easier to make brighter, while you'll probably notice that colours are more vibrant on the Q10 (I've noticed this on mine. After using the Q for a week, the Z seems washed out in comparison, especially on greens and oranges). The Q5 uses an LCD screen and has the same maximum brightness as the Z10, but the colours aren't as bright. One of the trade-offs of AMOLED VS. LCD is better colours and much deeper blacks, but worse whites and a low overall brightness. That's part of why the Q10 came with the black theme by default (also because unlike on an LCD, where every pixel draws the same amount of power, and the backlighting comes from behind, on an AMOLED the pixels are self-lit, and the black pixels are just not turned on, and that helps save battery life)

Now, the Z30 uses an AMOLED screen, and from what I've seen it's got a higher maximum brightness than the Q10 does, from what I've seen. The slightly dimmer screen on the Q10 was probably a compromise to help with battery life, which they didn't have to make with the Z30 because the battery on that is absolutely insane.

Personally, I can't go back to the Z10 at this point. The colours on my Q10 are just so much nicer...
    roguerebellions likes this.
    11-05-13 11:33 PM
    This is a comprehensive clear response. Thank you for replying with absolutely no irony. Truly appreciative.
    11-05-13 11:59 PM
    This is a comprehensive clear response. Thank you for replying with absolutely no irony. Truly appreciative.
    Ah, this is just what I've gathered from reading the various forums. I just have a lot of free time on my overnight shifts. It's nice to actually have a Q10 now, though, to see this in person.

It is indeed a lot more difficult to use in direct sunlight, but no more difficult than my last two Samsung phones, which also used AMOLED screens. (and actually much better than the Nexus S, which ALSO managed to have really washed out colours on top of everything else) It's having the CB10 icon next to the icon for Blaq that makes me go "Wow!" at the colours.

The other thing the BB10 phones have going on, that a lot of people don't realize, is the auto brightness in addition to the brightness slider: Auto brightness isn't as drastic or noticeable as it is on Android or iOS devices because it uses the light sensors to keep the perceived brightness at the same level. So you set the phone to the brightness level you want, and the phone will adjust it on the fly so it always looks exactly that bright regardless of the lighting of the room you're in. It'll dim it in the dark and bring the brightness up in a well lit room so that it always looks exactly the same as you'd set it.
    11-06-13 02:28 AM
    I hope that blackberry soon sets the auto brightness on -off to the customers opinion .

Send From My Sexy BlackBerry Q10 ......
    11-06-13 06:16 AM
    In the BlackBerry App-World you can find an app called "Auto screen brightness". It is an port and it works only in the foreground. Press start und you will see how bright the Q 10 display could be (amazing) If blackberry would us allow to toggle the ambient Light sensor. it is not a technical Problem, it is a Problem of programming the software!
    11-06-13 06:26 AM
    In the BlackBerry App-World you can find an app called "Auto screen brightness". It is an port and it works only in the foreground. Press start und you will see how bright the Q 10 display could be (amazing) If blackberry would us allow to toggle the ambient Light sensor. it is not a technical Problem, it is a Problem of programming the software!
    Yes the brightness is amazing but unfortunately it works only in the app

11-06-13 08:09 AM
    Wouldn't it be perfect, BlackBerry would give us the possibility to disable the automatic Light Sensor? in that case we could use our Q10 at a sunny day. I can't unterstand why they refuse to disable the automatism for People Who need it to do...
    11-06-13 08:53 AM
    This is actually great news that it's not entirely a hardware limitation. If it's just a software value change then perhaps we can have brighter screens with a software update down the road.
    11-06-13 03:19 PM
    This is actually great news that it's not entirely a hardware limitation. If it's just a software value change then perhaps we can have brighter screens with a software update down the road.
    Yes it's great news but blackberry unfortunately has his ears once again closed.
    I really wish that sometime soon they will give as this option

11-06-13 03:30 PM