Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry Q10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!

Just got my Q10. It is so dim that I'm thinking about returning it. Can barely use the phone. Worried that if I bring this back to Verizon it won't be returnable, but I'm saddened that an OS fix will probably never happen. My battery life is amazing, but what's the point when I'm not even interested in using the phone? I don't want to squint. My Bold 9930, at 10%, is brighter than my Q10 at 100%. See attached. I took these photos with my Playbook. The last two images are against an old Sony Bravia LCD panel.

Q10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000009.jpgQ10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000008.jpgQ10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000007.jpgQ10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000010.jpgQ10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000012.jpg
    Last edited by paxtonbt; 06-15-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    Thanked by 4:
    BullGuard8 (06-15-2013),  Dave Hong (06-26-2013),  richardat (06-16-2013),  scorpiogb (06-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts

That is really weird, my Q10 at half brightness is very bright! I think you should exchange it! Go to a vzw store nd compare to either the demo model or someone else's and see if it's the same or not

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

My Q10 brightness too is a very bright especially at night time ... might need to compare your phone to another one to see if your display is defective

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

That doesn't look right.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

That's an understatement. I'm so upset about this, the keyboard is so perfect, the OS so fluid.. I'm doing a factory reset "data wipe" in the hopes of seeing a difference, but it's doubtable.
    CrackBerry Genius

Mine is pretty darn bright when set to the lowest brightness on my Q10. The 9900 lowest brightness is a bit brighter than the Q10, which im fine with. I hated the lowest birghtness on my 9900 cause i cant text during a movie with the screen being so damn bright.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Go exchange ur phone. I'm sure it's a defect.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Did a factory reset, and there's no change.

I want to believe it's a manufacturing defect, but from the looks of different studies that show the Q10 having 78% lower brightness than iPhone 5, I don't know what to think. There are countless threads from others with the same problems. A BlackBerry "Technical Advisor" has stated that this is a hardware design characteristic Screen brightness - am I the only crazy one that t... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums and that it cannot be changed, even in an OS update.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I'd really like to see some comparison photos from you guys who claim to have bright Q10 devices. I just don't believe you. Professional reviews and studies show, pretty clearly, that the Q10 is the dimmest device on the market.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

The Q10 is definitely a lot dimmer than an iPhone 5. I have both and the difference is huge. The Q10 has an AMOLED display so it being dimmer is only natural. I the downside is the readability in direct sunlight. But the upside are the great contrasts and deep blacks.

If you think it is too dim in sunlight then you have to give it up.

Sent from my Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

No, there is something seriously wrong here. The BlackBerry Q10 is supposed to have a Super AMOLED screen. The Nokia Lumia 928 has an AMOLED screen. The 928 easily outshines the Q10 by five times, yet the Super AMOLED is theoretically supposed to be brighter.

BlackBerry has clearly done something to inhibit user control of auto-dimming brightness functions. I see very, very little difference between the lowest and highest brightness settings. This means that the hardware isn't being utilized to its potential.
    Bure03 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

It looks like your shots were taken in a very dim enviroment where the q will be dimming the screen most. Try shooting them in a brighter area and I think you would get a more even result. I agree the fact we can't turn off auto-dim is annoying but have gotten use to it for the most part.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by paxtonbt View Post
    BlackBerry has clearly done something to inhibit user control of auto-dimming brightness functions. I see very, very little difference between the lowest and highest brightness settings. This means that the hardware isn't being utilized to its potential.
    Or it's just a defective device as has been mentioned already.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

These photos were to highlight the differences in brightness (it's night here at the moment). I noticed the differences most clearly earlier today, during the day. The 9930 does an auto contrast compensation in bright sunlight which makes reading very easy, but the Q10 does not. Reading was impossible in the sun. I didn't expect to see such a difference in a dark environment, but sure enough, the photos highlight what I'm seeing. I don't like it, and I know I don't like it.

Challenge: prove that your Q10 performs better than mine. I'd like to see your comparisons.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have no problems with the brightness on my Q10 regardless of the auto dim feature. As many others have stated, it looks like you have a defective phone. Return it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Stop wasting time and go get it exchanged...

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Nothing wrong with my device screen brightness.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry on Iphone your done.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

While it does seem that paxton's device is abnormally extreme, I will agree with him that the screen is definitely not as bright, especially in direct sunlight. Being someone who walks to work, that is a major disappointment, especially if it is true that Blackberry is limiting the device's actual capabilities.
    Thanked by:
    scorpiogb (06-15-2013) 
    paxtonbt likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Will be going into VZW soon to compare with the demo units and try to replace it. To those that say your screen brightness is great, please post photos showing this!

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    BullGuard8 (06-15-2013) 
    southlander likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Also, when you all say your brightness is "fine" or "great," please be honest with an objective response as well. Tell us if it's actually "dim" or "bright" in comparison to other devices.

The fact remains: if the phone's maximum brightness is objectively dim in comparison to other devices, BlackBerry should implement a software method to boost it to the current maximum brightness standard (iPhone 5, etc). The slider will still be there to dim it down to those dark levels that you prefer. They should satisfy all of their customers, not the few who are only using their Q10 in movie theatres, scared of getting caught.

Personally, I want my Q10 to be as bright as my 9930. I spent nearly 2 years with it, why cripple the brightness from what it once was?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    PIN
    3323f8b3

It changes the brightness on its own no matter what u have it set to. But I do understand it's not super bright but at the same time it does not hurt my eyes as bad especially while I'm in bed at night. It works fine out doors for me so I don't really care I can see just fine

Posted via CB10
    hausaufgaga likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

My T-Mobile Q10 has a nice bright screen. I leave it at half and can view it better in direct sunlight than my nexus 4.

Posted via CB10
    Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

I just went to Verizon Wireless and compared my Q10 to the display model. They had equal brightness, equal brightness settings. Looking at them side-by-side with the same background and same apps, same settings screens... exactly the same dim screens. Man, these screens are dim.

Obviously I didn't try to return my device, I would look like a fool to those salespeople.

It's a sad day when "sacrifices" have to be made. There is simply no other device that would offer the same user experience. I guess I will have to be forced to squint for the next 2 years or praying that BlackBerry will release an OS update to fix this issue.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    CrackBerry User

... perhaps Blackberry didn't want Bad Reviews about battery life in the first months... I hope they change it with a sw update. I don't think it is a question of the display. otherwise they had installed the worst screen they get from the worlwide market.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

... and by the way: couldn't ask Kevin Blackberry for us? I think he knows the "knowing" People at Blackberry. I think it is not only the problem of a few People, If i read many posts.

Posted via CB10
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast