So it sounds like there are "new and improved" replacement keyboards that (hopefully) fix the double typing issue. What's the difference? Anybody have side by side pictures of the "original" and the "new and improved"? If I buy a replacement keyboard, I'd like to get one that will actually fix the double typing issue, so I would like to know what to look for.
    anon(9397048) likes this.
    07-07-14 11:29 PM
    +1 - I haven't heard this....I'm looking for keyboard #3 however so it would be nice to know more about this.
    07-08-14 03:57 AM
    Wondering the same thing. Anyone?
    07-08-14 03:57 AM
    I believe in the 'double typing' thread there were a few comments about the feel of the kb's, with the original defective ones being more squishy and the new/replacement ones feeling more clicky

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    IFCArea51 likes this.
    07-08-14 06:56 AM
    New member, first time poster, long time BlackBerry user. I have Q10 and have always been really hard on keyboards. Mine started to double type after 9 months. I put up with it for a while then I lost my N. In frustration I ordered a new kb from ebay. Took me ten minutes to swap it out and start up phone. This 'new' Chinese kb works better than the original. Slightly better feel. Looks exactly the same but a bit more of a click when you push a button. Only had it in for a month but seems to be working well. And total cost was $5.00 AUD
    07-08-14 07:24 AM
    New member, first time poster, long time BlackBerry user. I have Q10 and have always been really hard on keyboards. Mine started to double type after 9 months. I put up with it for a while then I lost my N. In frustration I ordered a new kb from ebay. Took me ten minutes to swap it out and start up phone. This 'new' Chinese kb works better than the original. Slightly better feel. Looks exactly the same but a bit more of a click when you push a button. Only had it in for a month but seems to be working well. And total cost was $5.00 AUD
    I was thinking of OEM keyboards, but I guess a cheap Chinese knock-off can't be any worse than what I use now!

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    07-08-14 09:42 AM
    I recently replaced the keyboard on my Q10 with an OEM part from a supplier in the UK. Definitely much more clicky than the original. Also the space bar has a more solid feel (the original used to rock on the sides). And no more double typing problem

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 05:42 PM
    Someone should start a poll or survey with the questions "keyboard feel: squishy or clicky? Experience double typing: yes or no?". I bet there's a correlation between being squishy and double typing. I hope service carriers aren't still selling and releasing the devices with keyboards that are known to be problematic

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    flyingsolid likes this.
    07-08-14 08:22 PM
    Thought Q10 was made in China, ie of Chinese made parts. Assembled in Mexico. Am I mistaken?
    ubizmo likes this.
    07-08-14 10:34 PM
    I have to wonder whether these Chinese keyboards are really knockoffs. Is there really enough money to be made on Q10 replacement keyboards that a manufacturer would go through the expense of tooling, procuring materials and components, etc., to build them to sell on eBay? I have a feeling all the keyboards, branded OEM or not, are coming from the same shop.
    07-09-14 10:00 AM
    I have to wonder whether these Chinese keyboards are really knockoffs. Is there really enough money to be made on Q10 replacement keyboards that a manufacturer would go through the expense of tooling, procuring materials and components, etc., to build them to sell on eBay? I have a feeling all the keyboards, branded OEM or not, are coming from the same shop.
    I'm with you on that, I doubt there is a big enough market for there to be knock off q10 keyboards.

Also, im not sure why people think the keyboard was redesigned, even in the crackberry poll half of users didn't have the problem. So if the design is flawed, why haven't they failed?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 12:27 PM
    Have to agree with ubizmo about point of manufacture being "probably" the same for all kb whether OEM or not.
    07-09-14 02:08 PM
    I'm with you on that, I doubt there is a big enough market for there to be knock off q10 keyboards.

Also, im not sure why people think the keyboard was redesigned, even in the crackberry poll half of users didn't have the problem. So if the design is flawed, why haven't they failed?

Posted via CB10
    There are definitely two different kinds of keyboards out there. I have the double typing issue and my keyboard is not so clicky and does not need too much pressure to push the button. A colleague of mine has the same phone and the tactile feeling is different. The keyboard is more clicky and the spacebar also feels firmer. And he has no double typing issue. He also writes far more mails on his device than I do so it is not a question of wear and tear.

However, I have the impression that my double typing got better. Don't know why, maybe the way I am typing has adjusted to this problem.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 02:26 PM
    "There are definitely two different kinds of keyboards out there." Does this indicate two different manufacturers or a run of two batches from the same
    manufacturer varying in quality control not clear.
    07-09-14 05:00 PM
    I recently replaced my keyboard with one I got from Ebay. Fixed the double typing issue and is really responsive and definitely "clicky". The thing is, the keyboard has orange symbols next to the W, E, R, S and D letters. Not sure why.....?
    Q10 replacement keyboard differences-img950202.jpg

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    07-09-14 08:27 PM
    I got one off ebay as well, was 10 bucks and it works great. No issues as of yet. I guess if I wear it out then I will order a another and by then it will be time for new phone.
    07-09-14 08:58 PM
    The keyboard I got from ebay is identical in ALL respects. I compared the two when I pulled the old one out. All the components looked to be identical. I am of the view that it is the same company making the OEM and the Knock Offs. I recommend that you buy proper screwdrivers tho as the ones that came with my replacement keyboard were very soft and the tip quickly became damaged resulting in me damaging the head of a screw. You tube was helpful for a step by step guide on how to change it out. If you have keyboard issues and no warranty try swapping it out. Before I changed it I hated using my phone because it was so aggravating to try to type, now i enjoy it again. The keyboard is the reason I chose the Q10 in the first place,

Posted via CB10
    bbnrs likes this.
    07-09-14 09:11 PM
    Mine just started double-typing.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 10:22 PM
    How do I order one from BlackBerry? My phone is T-Mobile cobranded, unlocked and paid in full.
    07-10-14 01:54 AM
    The keyboard I got from ebay is identical in ALL respects. I compared the two when I pulled the old one out. All the components looked to be identical. I am of the view that it is the same company making the OEM and the Knock Offs. I recommend that you buy proper screwdrivers tho as the ones that came with my replacement keyboard were very soft and the tip quickly became damaged resulting in me damaging the head of a screw.
    So you got one of those kits that include the keyboard and the tools? I haven't yet had any keyboard problems, but when I got my Q10 I was well aware that there was a good chance they'd appear, so I've been thinking about ordering a replacement in advance of actually needing it. Since I don't have any of those tiny screwdrivers, or the little prying tools, I thought it would be best to get one of those kits. But your experience seems to indicate otherwise.

Incidentally, I fully intend to get either a Passport or Classic this year (probably Passport) but I'll keep the Q10 as a backup, instead of selling it as I usually do when I get a new phone. So I'll want it to last a few years.
    07-10-14 06:12 AM
    There are definitely two different kinds of keyboards out there. I have the double typing issue and my keyboard is not so clicky and does not need too much pressure to push the button. A colleague of mine has the same phone and the tactile feeling is different. The keyboard is more clicky and the spacebar also feels firmer. And he has no double typing issue. He also writes far more mails on his device than I do so it is not a question of wear and tear.

However, I have the impression that my double typing got better. Don't know why, maybe the way I am typing has adjusted to this problem.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that there are 2 "versions" of the keyboard out. But I think its due to manufaturing then design. And I don't theing either of the versions are "new" because when I initially purchased 2 Q10's, one developed double typing a while ago (the squishy one) and the other still hasn't developed it (clicky). I've since replaced the squishy keyboard with a new one from ebay, and its clicky and works flawlessly.

I think there are 2 factory lines producing the keyboards. and in the beginning 1 line wasn't 100% to spec in some way which causes an error in the manufacture that leads to the double typing.
    07-10-14 06:41 AM
    So you got one of those kits that include the keyboard and the tools? I haven't yet had any keyboard problems, but when I got my Q10 I was well aware that there was a good chance they'd appear, so I've been thinking about ordering a replacement in advance of actually needing it. Since I don't have any of those tiny screwdrivers, or the little prying tools, I thought it would be best to get one of those kits. But your experience seems to indicate otherwise.

Incidentally, I fully intend to get either a Passport or Classic this year (probably Passport) but I'll keep the Q10 as a backup, instead of selling it as I usually do when I get a new phone. So I'll want it to last a few years.
    I ordered a tool kit off amazon, cheap knock off stuff, stripped screws and the screw heads.... ordered from crackberry, tools are perfect, and I then used them to replace my cooling fan in my laptop!

iFixit 54 Bit Driver Kit | BlackBerry Tools | ShopCrackBerry

there is also a under 20 dollar version.. I think it has everything you need, but I can't confirm that right now, tonight I can.
    07-10-14 06:44 AM
    I recently replaced my keyboard with one I got from Ebay. Fixed the double typing issue and is really responsive and definitely "clicky". The thing is, the keyboard has orange symbols next to the W, E, R, S and D letters. Not sure why.....?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG950202.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	284117

I have bought about 5 keyboards now and I have this one as well... imo, this one has been the best one so far.... there ARE differences in keyboards!!!
    07-10-14 08:06 AM
    I have bought about 5 keyboards now and I have this one as well... imo, this one has been the best one so far.... there ARE differences in keyboards!!!
    It really is a good keyboard. Seems sturdier than the original and more responsive.

07-10-14 09:23 AM

The tools were rubbish. If you can get a keyboard in advance then you are all ready for when it does have issues. The thing is, none of us should be having issues!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 12:47 PM
39 12