In late April, I sold my iPhone 5 and paid way too much to have a Q10 imported to the US from Canada (around $800). I really had faith that this was the device that would bring BB back but all signs are pointing to me being wrong.

I really was enjoying the Q10 outside of the sever lack of apps, but yesterday I finally had to cut my losses and buy another iPhone 5. Why? not because of the phone itself - because of the resale prices. A quick look of completed listings on eBay shows many used unlocked Q10s selling in the mid $400s, meaning I've already taken a huge loss on this device in just a few short months. Now I understand that this is bound to happen with any device but I suppose I have been spoiled with iPhones which seem to hold their value much better than other smartphones.

Please don't take this as a Q10 bashing topic - it's a great phone. I just want people to be aware of the falling resale prices if they are on the fence about holding onto their Q10. If you're not fully committed to the Q10 for the long haul - now might be the time to sell, before resale prices fall even farther.
    07-11-13 07:57 AM
    This makes no sense at all.
    You think the phone is fine, but because of falling prices, you sell your phone and get another phone....

Someone explain this to me.........

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 07:59 AM
    Bahaha this is beyond illogical.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-11-13 08:00 AM
    the fall of the resale price doesn't effect the vast majority of people... since most didn't over pay and spend $800 on the Q10....
    07-11-13 08:04 AM
    That's good news. I can see that it's the same in the UK. Waiting for it to spread to carriers, probably August...
    07-11-13 08:04 AM
    So if the pricing were increasing, then you would tell people that they should start buying them? The post makes no sense..
    07-11-13 08:08 AM
    So rather than using the phone for a year thus justifying the depreciation you decided to make your net loss a reality by selling it.
    dmlis, djdosage, FCSC and 7 others like this.
    07-11-13 08:08 AM
    So if the pricing were increasing, then you would tell people that they should start buying them? The post makes no sense..
    On top of all the news of BB's poor financials, I don't think that their brand new flagship device rapidly devaluing on the resale market is a very good sign but maybe that's just me...
    07-11-13 08:09 AM
    In late April, I sold my iPhone 5 and paid way too much to have a Q10 imported to the US from Canada (around $800). I really had faith that this was the device that would bring BB back but all signs are pointing to me being wrong.

I really was enjoying the Q10 outside of the sever lack of apps, but yesterday I finally had to cut my losses and buy another iPhone 5. Why? not because of the phone itself - because of the resale prices. A quick look of completed listings on eBay shows many used unlocked Q10s selling in the mid $400s, meaning I've already taken a huge loss on this device in just a few short months. Now I understand that this is bound to happen with any device but I suppose I have been spoiled with iPhones which seem to hold their value much better than other smartphones.

Please don't take this as a Q10 bashing topic - it's a great phone. I just want people to be aware of the falling resale prices if they are on the fence about holding onto their Q10. If you're not fully committed to the Q10 for the long haul - now might be the time to sell, before resale prices fall even farther.
    So let me get this straight..... You paid $800 for. Q10 as an early adopter.....the phone came out in the US and the price dropped (were you shocked by this?).....so you sold your phone... probably taking a $300+ loss to go back to the iPhone.....but you liked the Q10 and had no issues with it? Hmmmmm.....okay.

Ps. I could see selling your phone back if you could get close to the original price you bought it for and then rebuying another Q10 at the cheaper price....but I doubt that would happen.
    irweezyy and mujahid 10 like this.
    07-11-13 08:12 AM
    Good decision. Price will drop even more in the coming few months.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    07-11-13 08:14 AM
    On top of all the news of BB's poor financials, I don't think that their brand new flagship device rapidly devaluing on the resale market is a very good sign but maybe that's just me...
    While the recent BBRY woes may have an impact on BBRY resale values, you do realize the MSRP of the phone was like $550-$600 to begin with...so someone pocketed a cool $200+ from you for being an early adopter. This is the exact reason why I waited to buy my Q10 until it came out on AT&T... It is simple economic supply and demand theory my friend. There is now excess supply to meet the demand...so the price drops.
    07-11-13 08:17 AM
    Good decision. Price will drop even more in the coming few months.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Wow....since you apparently have a crystal ball to predict the future, can you send me the next winning lottery numbers? SMH
    wasabiGT and sheraaz09 like this.
    07-11-13 08:19 AM
    While the recent BBRY woes may have an impact on BBRY resale values, you do realize the MSRP of the phone was like $550-$600 to begin with...so someone pocketed a cool $200+ from you for being an early adopter. This is the exact reason why I waited to buy my Q10 until it came out on AT&T... It is simple economic supply and demand theory my friend. There is now excess supply to meet the demand...so the price drops.
    I fully understand that and I only have myself to blame for spending a premium to be an early adopter.

I only made this topic as I was shocked to see how far Q10 prices have fallen in the last ~2 weeks or so and wanted to give people a heads-up.
    07-11-13 08:20 AM
    Who would pay $800 for a Q 10 anyway when the retail price at T Mobil, Verizon and ATT is in the ballpark of $590 USD? It took a week or two for the channels here to fill when AT released it but all I did was wait a week to grab the device...paid full retail at att store...no sweat.
    This is quite odd really, I've never really considered a phone as something you buy with the resale value in mind, maybe because you can drop it down a flight of concrete steps and bang goes your resale value.......
    I fully understand that and I only have myself to blame for spending a premium to be an early adopter.

I only made this topic as I was shocked to see how far Q10 prices have fallen in the last ~2 weeks or so and wanted to give people a heads-up.
    I don't think you do understand then...
    07-11-13 08:22 AM
    This is quite odd really, I've never really considered a phone as something you buy with the resale value in mind, maybe because you can drop it down a flight of concrete steps and bang goes your resale value.......
    I suppose I've just been spoiled with iPhones and how well they hold their value. Hell, used iPhone 5's (16gb) still sell for $500+ and have been out for almost a year.
    07-11-13 08:23 AM
    I'm sorry you overpaid for the device in the first place. Thats your problem. I think this is silly. I use a device because it works for me. I don't care anything about what the resale value is.
    07-11-13 08:25 AM
    I'm sorry you overpaid for the device in the first place. Thats your problem. I think this is silly. I use a device because it works for me. I don't care anything about what the resale value is.
    Then this topic clearly isn't for you...Q10 is a great device I just think that resale value is worth paying attention to for anyone on the fence about holding onto the Q10 for the long-term.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-11-13 08:27 AM
    Then this topic clearly isn't for you...Q10 is a great device I just think that resale value is worth paying attention to for anyone on the fence about holding onto the Q10 for the long-term.
    I'm a longtime BlackBerry user now using an iPhone 4S for several months. If I was using a BB it would probably be the Q10. Use whatever device works for you and enjoy it.
    revtech and chris8189 like this.
    07-11-13 08:37 AM
    Fantastic news! My favourite brand of electronics are getting cheaper!! The logic you used is truly a thing of beauty. Totally incomprehensible, flawed, and down right illogical but beautiful. I would like to add "Q10 is so powerful it can sell iPhones!"
    07-11-13 08:37 AM
    Who buys a phone as an investment? I buy a phone to use it. Your logic is flawed.
    07-11-13 08:48 AM
    Now you see, had you been holding Shares of RIM and the price of their products / service and stock was falling rapidly, I would understand the logic of dumping the stock.
    You were holding a product. Implying, even if RIM were to go bankrupt tomorrow and taken over by someone else, you would still have the product... functioning and meeting your requirements just fine.

The price of a used phone... be it an iPhone or a Nokia or a BB will always be lower than what you paid for it. More often than not - significantly lower (considering you won't be selling the phone say after just a few months of use).

Again - as you felt it necessary to share your SHOCK at the falling prices, I too felt the urge / need to share my views at your decision.
    mexicangangboss likes this.
    07-11-13 08:53 AM

this doesn't make any sense. Every phone goes down in value as times goes by. As others posted, this is a $550-600 msrp phone. so if they are selling for mid $400s USED, whats the problem!??!
    Plummeting would mean $200s.. which would mean that i'd get my Q10 real quick!
    in addition, who cares what they sell for? use it, and enjoy it!
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    07-11-13 08:55 AM
    I paid to be an early adopter, though that $800 equivalent included UK sales tax, which is recoverable, and I shall argue with HMRC that it is 50% a legit business expense. Do I regret it? No, I'm extremely glad I didn't cut the annoyances I was having with inferior kit and buy a 9900.
    Do I care if the price drops? No, because it will stay around till it is beyond economic repair. This is a phone with 4G, NFC, HDMI and DLNA; it isn't going to go obsolete for a long time unless BlackBerry go bust, and if that happens all bets are off.
    The same with cars. If you are one of the people who has to buy new every year, the resale matters a lot. If you like to keep them until they are just too old for whatever reason, the eventual resale will be close to zero anyway and you don't care. The only time it matters is an insurance writeoff, and that is a risk worth taking.
    redantz likes this.
    07-11-13 08:57 AM
171 123 ...