Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Stewart
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Q10 non camera edition

Hey guys,

Anybody here know when RIM will launch the non camera version of Q10. Or any other new handset with BB10 on it
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

No official announcement on when or if this will happen as of yet. The camera can be disabled through BES, if that is within company policy.

Quote Originally Posted by killthedope View Post
    Hey guys,

Anybody here know when RIM will launch the non camera version of Q10. Or any other new handset with BB10 on it
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by radwon View Post
    No official announcement on when or if this will happen as of yet. The camera can be disabled through BES, if that is within company policy.
    Unfortunately my company doesn't allow physical camera inside
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I guess I have to stick wit my 9930
    CrackBerry User

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been trying to get info on the availability of a non-camera BB10 phone for a while with no success. I've asked BB and cellphone companies. The most common reply has been no response. Since Verizon has its pre-order for the Q-10 going on, I asked them again yesterday. The answer was that they don't have any info on it. Let's hope no news is good news. In the meantime, I should be grateful for my 9930.

Isn't it funny how most people can't seem to understand that some require a phone manufactured without a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by u4rhea View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've been trying to get info on the availability of a non-camera BB10 phone for a while with no success. I've asked BB and cellphone companies. The most common reply has been no response. Since Verizon has its pre-order for the Q-10 going on, I asked them again yesterday. The answer was that they don't have any info on it. Let's hope no news is good news. In the meantime, I should be grateful for my 9930.

Isn't it funny how most people can't seem to understand that some require a phone manufactured without a camera?
    Secure agencies that do not allow a camera can in fact disable the camera through BES, so if your agency is holding out for a device without a camera it might be a good idea to have your IT department review the BES capabilities. I am assuming that a company that does not allow cameras due to security restrictions is using BES.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    CrackBerry Addict

It's one way of preventing corporate espionage - take away the ability for employees to take pictures of layouts, plans, etc. and you remove one method that people use to pass secrets between companies.

JB
    If I've helped you or given you a healthy dose of reality, click the Like or Thanks button
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

I know a lot of people with Androids who just have the Camera Module removed. It's really easy to take out the Camera on the Q10.

Posted via Dec Alpha C
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    PIN
    3225579F

So, this is the reason why RIM produced devices without camera? I really thought it was to cut down the price LOL
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Most of the time the price on the non camera units is the same as the ones with cameras. It is for security and more places than you'd think have that requirement.
    CrackBerry User

I'll say it again. A significant number of people can only have phones that are manufactured without a camera. The camera cannot be physically removed/damaged or disabled through BES.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I know a few guys that work for the Government and they are issued non camera BB Bolds because of certain buildings they work in cameras are not permitted. I'm surprised a non camera Q and Z didn't come out at the same time a the camera version to satisfy BB's Business customers.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    721 Global Posts

The fact that the camera can be disabled has been well publicised to agencies that require no camera on the device in the BES 10 presentations.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I understand why a non-camera version should be released. It's unfortunate but I'm sure they are working on releasing one soon. They probably just want to see how well the std versions do in and around the world.

Posted via CB10
    find me on www.s2ki.com-Username Mrwilliams
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I am still hoping they would make one .... this is so bad ... i am stuck with my 9930 without camera one
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just cover the camera hole with a black sticker do the same on the front and there you have it no camera!

You could always remove the camera yourself and put it back in on weekends

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Are there any cases without camera cutouts ?
    CrackBerry Addict

Geez! All these people keep saying "just remove the camera" or "disable it in bes". Some companies don't allow that period. End of story. Either it is manufactured without a camera or its a no go.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but please just try to understand that we have looked into this already. I'm forced to leave my Q10 in a locker at the entrance or else I won't be able to get in. At that point only my non camera 9900 is allowed through.

Posted via CB10 on a kick *** Q10
    Thanked by:
    1bottle (08-18-2013) 
    1bottle likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Wtf? This would be stupid to be honest. They have no reason to do this whatsoever.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    CrackBerry Genius

NO company AT ALL does these types of things, BlackBerry is no different.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't work in a position that requires a phone without the camera, but I do understand the policy. If a camera can be disabled, it could just as easily be enabled...therefore, err on the side of caution and don't allow it at all.

I did read recently that BB10 was approved for the Department of Defense: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/08/blackberry-dod. Of course, I understand everything on the Internet must be taken with a grain of salt. Feel free to draw your own conclusions. Anyway, it would be nice to think with that sort of approval (and use) that a camera-less version would possibly be a consideration. Unfortunately, I have nothing to confirm this, either. Do understand the need, though.

Posted via CB10
    Proud BlackBerry user since July 25, 2006.
    7290 > 8310 > 9700 > PlayBook 16 GB > Q10