I am really struggling with the Q10 and its new Bugs (excuse me - features)

worst of them all - the inability to synchronize with Outlook... has anybody solved this riddle?

I have the Q10 on Vodafone, with all the latest updates on the device and the Link (with the two-way sync feature)
    I have a Laptop with Outlook 2010
    I will not use gmail/Hotmail or any other web based version to transfer data, as I have no idea how this would work when traveling, or how secure the data would be - just not an option

Issues I am struggling with:
    - the sync does not work.
    - the device is asking which calendar I want to use (?).... uhhhmm - MY CALENDAR! (which is not an option)
    - I have tried to use both Local and Link calendars - nothing transfers to Outlook
    - I have entered appointments and meetings in Outlook - nothing transfers to the device
    - Link is repeatedly stating that there is an update for the device, the device is stating it has the latest software...
    - every time i synchronize - sunc unsuccessful
    - so after waiting for 2 months for the two-way sync version on Link to come out - it does not work - great.

now I will make a choice this week - throw away or find a solution to this issue, because this does not work.

someone told me about a software called Companion Link - does anyone have experience with it?
    I am looking for if it works, what the bugs are, etc
    are there better ways around the engineering disaster of the Q10, or should I just throw this away and kick myself?

any thoughts helpful and welcome - thank you
    06-09-13 04:59 PM
    I have the exact same question. It is the make or break whether I get the Q10 or not.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    06-09-13 06:41 PM
    So I've just convinced my brother to go with BB, and specifically with Q10--mainly because of the ability to synch to outlook calendar (by usb). Now I'm seeing alot of threads that say it doesn't work. Will somebody please clarify to me that I will be able to synch my outlook calendar when I (and my Bro) get the q10. TIA.
    06-10-13 08:45 PM
    It is a new feature just added in the most recent release of Link. The frustrated posts that you are seeing are either from before that release or from people who haven't yet updated.

Posted via CBQ10
    06-10-13 09:26 PM
    The sync does not work...sad to say It sucks big time. every time I have opened link it has uploaded a "new version" day 4 of struggles likely returning the device after a long long wait.
    06-10-13 10:22 PM
    OY! So which is it? There must be hundreds of outlookers, what is the consensus?
    06-10-13 10:27 PM
    I used Blackberry Link to sync with Outlook yesterday and had no problems. Make sure you have the latest software/firmware.
    06-10-13 10:48 PM
    What did you manage to sync please? Contacts, calendars and/or emails? Please could you add a link to the software that you downloaded? Thanks.
    06-11-13 03:52 AM
    Blackberry, there is no excuse for this, none.
    spaniard65 likes this.
    06-11-13 04:06 AM
    I wasn't aware BlackBerry Link supports two way sync yet - I was under the impression it would sync FROM outlook (on the pc) TO the device, but NOT the other way..? Please tell me if I'm wrong but that is how I'm experiencing the sync set up.

To get around this I set up Outlook.com accounts. My calendar and contacts are linked to that, and that links into Outlook (on the PC) via a download from microsoft (Outlook 2013 does it natively). It works flawlessly. It does require you setting up outlook. Unless you have a BES server...

In terms of your security concerns - what provider do you use? If it's free, paid or commercial, via work - as the recent news indicates: it's not "secure" from our governments. For everything else outlook.com is probably better than gmail simply because outlook doesn't parse your text for metadata, to be sold for a profit. Of course, any commercial company saying anything is now suspect.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    06-11-13 04:42 AM
    Regarding companion link, I used it extensively on the android platform: it does work. However I have no experience with the BlackBerry variant.

I personally didn't use it and went down the outlook route instead (as discussed all over the crackberry forums) simply because, at the time, the companion link software wasn't fully functioning. I, therefore, didn't buy it for use with my Z10 and never bothered with my Q10 as everything had already been set up (via outlook).

I've had both Z and Q10 since their launches, in the UK, and the Q10 is a very good device, for business use. The battery and keyboard are excellent and it has never glitched. BlackBerry are aware of the issues and there are regular updates adding functionality all the time.

It is disconcerting how many features are missing, from the 9900, but there are work arounds if you look. If you don't want to do that is would simply advise wither sticking with what you are comfortable with (like the 9900 or ios or whatever you had) and wait and see. Apple has announced ios 7 and android is moving up all the time.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but if there's anything, please ask. Hope this was useful :-)

06-11-13 04:53 AM
    The sync does not work...sad to say It sucks big time. every time I have opened link it has uploaded a "new version" day 4 of struggles likely returning the device after a long long wait.
    Uninstall Link and do a fresh re install using the most current version. The update you are getting doesn't seem to be holding correctly.

Welcome to crackberry
    06-11-13 07:02 AM
    with Outlook.com, do i have to use that as my calendar, or does it synch to the native BB calendar? and will it modify my PC Outlook 2010 when i go online?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    06-11-13 07:46 AM
    Z10 owner here (running 10.1).

My experience with Link vs. Outlook 2-way Sync:

I have been able to get contacts to sync. Calnder sync for me is still elusive. Have never been able to get my outlook calendar to sync with my device. This is via Outlook 2010 over Win7x64Pro. Some have reported it works, others have reported it doesn't. Not sure what to tell you.

I agree, link is clunky. It appears to be getting better, and probably will continue improving. IT still has a long way to go.
    06-11-13 07:56 AM
    Ok let's get a couple things straight here.

The latest release of BlackBerry Link does support two way synchronization. Now when sync is setup you will notice on your device under accounts that there is one called Link.

The desktop software syncs with the link account. Not the local or information stored in any other account. If outlook contains all your information then the first sync will add the information to the Link account.

At this point you may see duplicates due to the information being in the link account and local. You can clear local contacts and calendar once you've determined the information is listed in the link account.

When you first setup sync it will ask you what outlook profile you use (if multiple exist for outlook). How is desktop software supposed to know which one to use if it doesn't ask you (eg two on my computer. One for me and one for gf).

Last but not least. If your outlook contains multiple calendars or contact lists. You need to configure Link to sync with correct one.

A BlackBerry agent would be more then happy to assist with this if you were to make contact.

I understand the frustration but coming on here and complaining about it not working with you haven't exhausted all help options is not fair to the product itself. I'm not picking on the OP just merely stating that from the sounds of it with a little help your synchronization could be working.

PS companion link for BlackBerry was $50 US last time I checked. I'm not willing to pay that when the ability is there for free.

Good luck and let us know once you've got it figured out.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 08:01 AM
    Ok let's get a couple things straight here.

The latest release of BlackBerry Link does support two way synchronization. Now when sync is setup you will notice on your device under accounts that there is one called Link.

The desktop software syncs with the link account. Not the local or information stored in any other account. If outlook contains all your information then the first sync will add the information to the Link account.

At this point you may see duplicates due to the information being in the link account and local. You can clear local contacts and calendar once you've determined the information is listed in the link account.

When you first setup sync it will ask you what outlook profile you use (if multiple exist for outlook). How is desktop software supposed to know which one to use if it doesn't ask you (eg two on my computer. One for me and one for gf).

Last but not least. If your outlook contains multiple calendars or contact lists. You need to configure Link to sync with correct one.

A BlackBerry agent would be more then happy to assist with this if you were to make contact.

I understand the frustration but coming on here and complaining about it not working with you haven't exhausted all help options is not fair to the product itself. I'm not picking on the OP just merely stating that from the sounds of it with a little help your synchronization could be working.

PS companion link for BlackBerry was $50 US last time I checked. I'm not willing to pay that when the ability is there for free.

Good luck and let us know once you've got it figured out.

Posted via CB10
    OK, in my case, I am not exactly a non-tech user.

I have ONE outlook profile on my machine. I have configured link to hit the correct Outlook profile. I have pointed it to the appropriate contacts and calendar in that ONE profile. Yes, contacts do sync, and I get the duplicate contacts via the "Link" account it sets up on your phone. That is all understood.

The calender refuses to sync, no matter what one tries --- at least for me. NO appointments in Outlook appear on the phone --- no "purpose-generated" appointments on the phone end up in outlook. This after multiple attempts and plinking.

Ref the OP. He is seeing what several posters have experienced. Indeed, it is what I am seeing as well.

I stand by the comment that I find link, at this point, to still be a bit "clunky". And, in fact, the way I preferred to do things with the OLD DM software was to do 1-way suncs from the phone to the computer. I prefer to have Outlook be the "Master" List. At this time, it seems that BB made the decision for us that Outlook should be the master list, as it sets up the link account, and, as you point out, the expectation would be that one deltes local contacts and manages it that way.

Not EVERYONE wants to do it that way. I, for instance, do not. That being said, eventhough contact sync is the only thing working for me, it is not useful for me in that context, as I have many old contacts in outlook that I still want around, but no need to keep them jammed on my phone. So I mantained a phone contact list, that I synced back to outlook occasionally and kept building the outlook list. Then I can keep my phone contact list "current" and fairly small. My preference.

With the new link, this is all but impossible to maintain. Try using voice dialing with duplicates....

Not very well thought thru by BB IMHO, given that the legacy software had that kind of functionality with syncing.

I agree, a lot of folks complain without trying first, but in this case, it is just flat clunky still.
    06-11-13 10:03 AM
    i havnt got my q10 yet but on my z10 for me to sync calander, contacts, mail from outlook, all i did was enter my email address and password. worked like a charm...you should be able to just enter your info on the phone and itll sync ota to whatever interval you set it to.
    06-11-13 10:09 AM
    I use outlook and all my contacts,emails and calendar sync no problems not only from my laptop to my q10 but also from my q10 to laptop
    06-11-13 11:58 AM
    Folks, I think there is a slight disconnect here.

Outlook web e-mail probably works fine---synching claendar/contacts/first born, whatever. I think that is all working fine.

I think the issue being discussed HERE is syncing to an Outlook CLIENT INSTALLATION on a computer, ie Outlook 2010, via a USB cable hook-up to the machine in question. The synch is happening between the device and the Outlook 2010 client profile on the machine.

This was the legacy functionality exposed by the older BB Desktop Manager Software.
    philt32 likes this.
    06-11-13 12:07 PM
    Just to add to these posts--I do not have Link on my PC yet as I'm waiting for the Q10 to become available next week--that said, and this is important--it is my understanding from my personal experience and from BlackBerry (RIM) that you MUST UNINSTALL BBDM from your PC prior to loading Link or the sync feature and many other features will not work! I know this to be true as I downloaded the latest Link software about 3 wks ago to just play around with it and get used to it, and it hijacked my Outlook 2007 account permissions. Actually took it over and wouldn't allow me to open it up. My computer guru came over and reset my permissions so I could use it but only after deleting Link first. There is some files in the BBDM that conflict with Link so make sure you Uninstall the BBDM software on your PC using your control panel>Programs and features (so it deletes all the hidden files) then reboot your PC prior to downloading the newest Link (1.1.1.26) update. Afterwards, all should work as promised. I know it will as I have a dev friend on here that uses it. Good luck and hopefully this will help with the problems.
    06-11-13 01:50 PM
    Agreed - I was under the impression we were discussing the PC software client outlook 2010 NOT the webmail!?

Because I cannot usb sync 2 ways with link and the pc - hence why I mentioned outlook.com (the webmail)...

Please correct me if I'm wrong but BlackBerry Link only supports one way usb sync - from the PC client to the Q10..?

06-11-13 01:53 PM
    Agreed - I was under the impression we were discussing the PC software client outlook 2010 NOT the webmail!?

Because I cannot usb sync 2 ways with link and the pc - hence why I mentioned outlook.com (the webmail)...

Please correct me if I'm wrong but BlackBerry Link only supports one way usb sync - from the PC client to the Q10..?

Incorrect! Link update 1.1.1.26 out last week, supports 2-way syncing with outlook 2007/2010 via usb from device to PC and back.
    06-11-13 02:02 PM
    Oh! I've not had an update notice, i'll check it out!

06-11-13 02:05 PM
    You're right I'm uninstalling my version and downloading as we speak - so this version 1.1.1.26 contains the two way link? Sorry, I must have slept through that as I didn't see the CB article :-)

06-11-13 02:08 PM
    Oh! I've not had an update notice, i'll check it out!

Must have the 10.1 OS which Q10 does so you should be good to go once you have the 1.1.1.26 Link update on your PC--Make sure you have deleted your old BBDM from your pc to avoid conflicts when syncing. To do that, go to menu button on PC>Control Panel>Programs and Features.
    06-11-13 02:08 PM
96 123 ...