After 1 year i like the Q10 now better then my 9900

Posted via Q10Bold
    07-24-14 05:33 AM

Posted via Q10Bold
    After 3 days I liked my Q10 better than my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 06:54 AM

Posted via Q10Bold
    6 months for me, I run them parallelally (until I lost the fear of damaging my Q)

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-24-14 07:11 AM
    I'm going to try and give the Q10 and a one-month workout before deciding whether it will replace my trustee Bold 9900 ...
    Thoughts from Day 3 with the Q10 ….

Remember, Remember ... Tasks & Evernote
    I'm only just beginning to explore the BB10 Remember app but it seems to have bags of potential. It's integration with Evernote (i.e. ability to access your notebooks) seems particularly useful. The native BB10 Evernote app seems a little slow opening when there isn't a network connection, I spend a lot of time using my Q10 on the train where signals come and go, and it can get pretty irritating having to wait for an app to open. No problems with Remember - it opens fine regardless of network connections [indeed, I'm using it now to draft this post].

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10_remember_20140724.jpg

I'm a big user of Remember the Milk for cloud based task management, via miscellaneous Apple Mac’s. Now that RTM have integrated their task management with Evernote the BB10 Remember app should make another way to manage RTM/Evernote tasks from the Q10.

Missing notes
    What I haven’t yet worked out is, where the notes/memos from my 9900 have gone. Most other things seemlessly moved over while running 'device switch’. My assumption was that these would appear inside Remember app - but this doesn’t appear to be the case, does anybody know where they might have gone?

The Hub & filtering Email folders
    It’s going to take me a while to master the Hub, and there’s no doubt that it is a very powerful tool for handling messages. It’s really useful to be able to access messages stored in various (IMAP, Exchange) sub-folders and sent boxes, that’s another big improvement over the Bold 9900 where (using BIS) access to mail messages was much more limited. I handle a lot of Email in my work and it’s great to be able to access sent mail that might have originated from a desktop (rather than handset only). However, with so many sub-folders on my work Exchange server, I’m also grateful for the ability to be able to check-box select folders that do/don’t sync with the Q10.

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-filtered_mailboxes_20140724.jpg

The Bold9900 was great for knocking out Emails but I was always a little disappointed with the way it handled Email folders -- BB10 and the Q10 have that beat!

Ringing in the changes
    Thanks to evodevo69 for post #148 drawing my attention to miscellaneous resources for ringtones
    and to JSanders (Resident Expert on the BlackBerry support forums) for making a collection of zip files available to the BlackBerry community. I now have access to all my old BlackBerry favourites!
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 07-25-14 at 09:45 AM.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    07-25-14 02:51 AM
    I'm going to try and give the Q10 and a one-month workout before deciding whether it will replace my trustee Bold 9900 ...
    Some more thoughts as I move into week 2 with my Q10 �.

Web browsing

The Q10 browser, there can doubt about it, the BB10 browser is a massive improvement over that of the 9900. I should say that for me this was never a real concern while using the 9900, I tend to use my PlayBook or MacBook Air for more serious web-browsing, but I can not help but be impressed by the BB10 browser. The improvements in speed and page rendering are huge compared to OS7.
    I particularly like the application of the reader, which is great for reading longer articles and news reviews. Having the option to invert colours (e.g. White text black backgrounds) can further enhance readability on the super AMOLED Q10

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10_browserreader.jpg

Email manipulations in the Hub

Things I miss from the Bold � yes, yes, yes that trackpad, but also the many keyboard shortcuts that were second nature. With the 9900, it was so fast to select messages and mark them as read unread with the trackpad, shift key and then alt-U (or to flag messages etc. etc.). On the Q10 I find myself fiddling about with touch interface trying to select more and mark miscellaneous messages in the hub.
    With OS7 it was easy to rapidly fly through a mailbox, pressing U to move sequentially through all unread messages. Similarly, it was easy to mark a message as unread while reading it (by pressing alt U) this was useful if you wanted to come back to a message at a later time. Although BB10 has some key-press short cuts (e.g. W for flag, I for file, R for Reply etc.) it seems rather odd that U is not used in this contact menu.

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10_keyshortcuts_hub_x.jpg

BB10 has made use of the U key to take you to unread messages while reviewing the hub but, rather irritatingly, they do not remain highlighted and you can't use alt-touch to select multiple messages - again you have to use the touch interface to 'Select More'.

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10_selectmorehub.jpg

I'd really like to be able to select multiple messages while holding down the alt or shift keys - this is one place where I miss the 9900 and it may be things like this that are preventing many of the die-hard OS7 power users from moving onto BB10 devices.

More later .....
    08-04-14 09:16 AM
    Got my q10 last week coming from a Z10, and the q10 is the ultimate blackberry! Beats the z10 in battery performance and general use of BB10. Obviously screen size is a flaw but the keyboard makes up for it.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 11:08 AM
    Further observations as I continue with my Q10 ….

LED lights - RED lights - No lights!
    I was keen to replicate the facility I had with my Bold9900 where BeBuzz - LED Light Colors had enabled me to quickly differentiate Emails, SMS messages from my favourite contacts with different coloured LEDs.

Looking in CB forums, reviews and on BlackBerry World I thought that this would be easy e.g. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...vs-hub-914477/
    There are several options and these have recently been re-visited by DJReyes see: LED notification apps compared - BeBuzz, HUB++, Powertools, Watcher | CrackBerry.com

I decided to go for Power Tools (�2.50), as this seemed to offer numerous other utilities. Could I get it to work? No!
    I like to think I am reasonably savvy with Tech and software, but try as I might to follow the instructions I can't get it to control and colour LED notifications on my Q10. With Power Tools you need to disable notifications in the system settings and let the PT software do it's thing. Now I only wanted to change the colour of the LED lights not control ringtones etc. so the only changes I made were for LED.
    The net result for me was no notifications at all, and after a week I gave up and decided to invest (�2.00) in BeBuzz 10 Pro, after all BeBuzz had worked so well on my Bold - what could go wrong?
    BeBuzz 10 Pro appeared much easier to set up than Power Tools, and I could quickly select my contacts and specify the colours I desired for SMS text and Emails etc. But although I did get LED notifications they remained plain old red.

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-bebuzz10.jpg

If anybody knows how to get either of these apps working (Power Tools or BeBuzz) on the Q10, I’d be grateful for some guidance

Inactive frames
    Another thing I have noticed that occasionally happens with the Q10 is that active frames fail to update. Have a look at the screenshot below. What time is it!? 08:17 or 08:19?

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-whattime_20140807_081906.png

I’ve also observed that some things don’t update in the background in quite the same way as they did with my 9900. For example, on the Bold and OS7, Twitter and BeWeather used to appear refreshed and up to date when opening the apps. This doesn't seem to be the case with my Q10; the BB10 Twitter app always seems to need a manual refresh on opening, with a ‘pull-down’ to load the latest tweets. Similarly, the default weather app (Accuweather) doesn't refresh until opened. You might well say 'leave them as active frames’ - but that can make for a very cluttered experience if multitasking. Perhaps for others with a constant network data signal this may prove less of a problem, but if you spend time travelling (on a train) with intermittent data connection this trait of failing to auto-refresh can be a little irritating.

On balance however, I’m enjoying my Q10 as I get more familiar (and more efficient) with how BB10 works. Currently, I’m not sure whether I’ll be prepared to go back to OS7 and my 9900, but I am keeping a watchful eye on Newfangled’s Bold Experience

More from me later ….
    anon(6038817) and BlazorBoy like this.
    08-13-14 07:33 AM
    Thanks for your useful report.

Have you found for OS10:

An app that will repeate sound and LED flashing once an event (email, SMS, calendar, etc) sets it off?

An app that will switch the sound profile?

Many thanks.
    08-14-14 01:03 AM
    Thanks for your useful report.

Have you found for OS10:

An app that will repeate sound and LED flashing once an event (email, SMS, calendar, etc) sets it off?

An app that will switch the sound profile?

Many thanks.
    To be honest my main objective with these apps has been to use different colours to discriminate between and notify me of messages from some key contacts - and as yet I've had little success using either Power Tools or BeBuzz.

Power Tools has a lot of settings, which does allow you to change blink speeds, repeat times, and profiles for different contacts so that might meet your needs (at least in part) if you can get it working.

It's also worth noting that it's possible to customise notifications (tones etc.) for specific contacts direct from BB10 settings window: System Settings>Notifications>(customisation) Contacts> where there are multiple various options for Emails. Texts, phone calls, instant previews etc.

But you can't simply change the colour of LEDS, which is all I wanted to do and why I've been trying these alternative apps.

I'm hoping that somebody else who has experience of either Power Tools or BeBuzz will chip in and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

NB. If this post works out OK, it will be my first post using the Android Tapatalk apk (installed via Snap) on my Q10; as far as I'm aware Tapatalk is not available for BB10 but I'd be happy to hear otherwise
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    08-14-14 02:43 AM
    One of the things I really am enjoying about my Q10 is regular updates. I had three this morning; that's something that rarely happens when using my Bold 9900 - if you're using a legacy OS7 device then you just have to accept little or no improvement in your apps.*

That said, life on the cutting edge can have it's downsides as I recently found out with Evernote and their venture into illegible dark themes (grey text on a black background) see: **http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=951677
    I'm pleased to say that the Evernote developers rapidly responded to complaints from the BB10 community, and the latest version restores legibility (black text on a white background). With my Q10 I find myself making increasing use of Evernote, it's tight integration with the BlackBerry Remember app is especially useful.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 08-21-14 at 05:38 AM.
    08-21-14 04:23 AM
    I have BeBuzz working perfectly. What is causing you a problem?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 05:08 PM
    I have BeBuzz working perfectly. What is causing you a problem?

Posted via CB10
    I can't get it to colour any LED lights. The BeBuzz setup seems straightforward but regardless of what colour LED I select for a contact all LED notifications remain red. I must be missing a trick somewhere
    08-22-14 05:41 PM
    I can't get it to colour any LED lights. The BeBuzz setup seems straightforward but regardless of what colour LED I select for a contact all LED notifications remain red. I must be missing a trick somewhere
    I believe you have to toggle LED off in the visual section of system settings > notifications. Else BB10 remains in charge of notifications, instead of these apps.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    08-23-14 06:09 AM
    I believe you have to toggle LED off in the visual section of system settings > notifications. Else BB10 remains in charge of notifications, instead of these apps.
    Thanks for this advice. I was aware that you should do this in PowerTools, which I did but without success. I was less clear as to whether this was necessary for BeBuzz but I'll certainly give it go and see what happens. My main concern about turning off the LED in system settings > notifications is - whether I'll then only get an LED where I have specified a contact in BeBuzz i.e. will no longer have the red LED working as a default for all other calls, text etc.
    08-23-14 10:09 AM
    Canvassing opinions: what is the best app for accessing Google Drive? Unsurprisingly, the G-Drive android app will not run on my Q10. I have the test version of PlayCloud, which seems to work well, but before I commit to a purchase it would be good to hear views/recommendations from other Q10 users
    08-24-14 07:11 AM
    Canvassing opinions: what is the best app for accessing Google Drive? Unsurprisingly, the G-Drive android app will not run on my Q10. I have the test version of PlayCloud, which seems to work well, but before I commit to a purchase it would be good to hear views/recommendations from other Q10 users
    There is an app called Files and Folders that works brilliantly with Google Drive and other major cloud services like DropBox, OneDrive, etc.

It was a must-have app for me on my Z30 and Q10.

I believe they have a trial version you can try before making a commitment.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    08-24-14 03:45 PM
    Just received a message from my network provider (3UK) informing me that I have spent the princely sum of �5.47 on Internet data in the last week or so; that means I've also used up the free allocation that I get when topping up my PAYG account.

That's something I didn't need to bother with while using my Bold9900; a monthly charge of � 5 for BIS (which was automatically renewed) covered all my data usage, I rarely made a dent in the free allocation and I never felt the need to worry about how much data I was using.
    I've now invested � 5 in a 2GB data (30day) add-on - hopefully that will cover my needs and there will be no net increase in costs of changing from the 9900 to Q10
    08-26-14 05:35 AM
    Just wanted to say how interesting and useful your experiment has been!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 06:43 AM
    Just wanted to say how interesting and useful your experiment has been!

Posted via CB10
    We really must thank the OP, Newfangled, who kick-started the game; it was the early discussions in this thread that prompted me to invest in a Q10.
    08-26-14 05:40 PM
169 ... 567