Hello Q10 and European Experts!

I LOVE my Q10. Let's start there.

Thinking about Western European travel. Specifically the UK, Spain, Italy, and France.
    Have unlocked Q10 SQN 100-2. (Yup, two, and not three.)

Wanting to use it for mapping and directions, translation, email, texting, online coursework access, searching for locations, schedules, information, occasional youtube and music. Don't need to watch full-length movies. Want to use it for mobile hotspot for ipad mini concurrently.

Don't want to break the bank with global roaming and data. Not under contract. Verizon's "globlal data" program is stupid - daughter used up her $80 for the month global data plan before she even got out of the Amsterdam airport, connecting to Spain on the FIRST day of her trip. So I'm looking to do something local once I reach Europe.

I'm told, "Just get a SIM card." Is it really that easy for a 100-2? I'm hoping that I don't have to BUY a 100-3. What about inexpensive hotspot recommendations while there? I know that data for getting directions gets used up VERY QUICKLY.

You European travelers/residents: I'd LOVE your budgetary recommendations!!
    Thank you all so much.
    08-03-15 10:40 PM
    Yes, you can absolutely get local SIM cards and make do with a SQN100-2. The good news is that your SQN -2 has both of Europe's main 3G/HSPA+ bands. Even better news is that your phone is already unlocked.

But here's something else to look into: T-Mobile (USA.) They offer unlimited texting and roaming 2G data in a lot of countries, and calls are $0.20/min. Western Europe should be pretty well represented in this offer. I wouldn't recommend porting your main number from Verizon for this, but maybe look into getting a new line from TMO for the duration of your visit. That way, you'll at least be able to text, and if needed, call back home. TMO's postpaid plans are all no-contract, and start at $50/month, plus taxes.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-04-15 12:03 AM
    You didn't mention using it to make voice calls, so you may not need a SIM card at all. "Just get a SIM card when you get there" might sound good, but you'll need to do that for each country you visit, including figuring out which card to get, and exactly what you're getting for your money and what additional charges there might be.

If you only need the convenience of making the occasional calls take a look at the 0044 Global SIM Card: Global SIM card - Just �14.99. Save 90% versus roaming. I used one a couple of years ago to make voice calls as I needed to. What I liked is that I could buy the SIM ahead of my trip and test it out just before I left. I also liked being able to use their web site to figure out exactly what all the charges would be for each country. Top-ups were also easy.

As for mapping and directions I recommend an offline mapping app such as Mireo Don't Panic from BlackBerry World, (although it doesn't include a pedestrian mode). You'll pay a lot less for the maps that you would for a live data connection.

You'll need to do some research on WiFi depending on where you'll be staying, etc.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-04-15 12:04 AM
    Hi raino -
    Thank you for your quick reply! What do you think of 2G data in terms of speed? No, I'm not playing video games or watching full-length movies...

I like the TMO idea...I'm getting increasingly unhappy with Verizon...
    Thanks!
    08-04-15 12:19 AM
    BB-JAM215,
    Mireo Don't Panic - I'll check it out! I do love those offline maps. Global SIM - so I can buy one and it will work for all of those countries - and is it just for calls, or data as well?
    Thanks!
    08-04-15 12:22 AM
    What about using the TMO as a mobile hotspot (assuming that 2G is usable) and then using the Q10 with mobile data "shut off" and using wifi on the TMO phone as a mobile hotspot?
    08-04-15 12:36 AM
    Yes, it will work in all those countries. You get a UK and a US number. As I recall, you dial the number you want including country code, then wait for a message, then your phone rings and you answer the call to complete the connection. You can also use data but it's not cheap.

Here's the link to the FAQs and User Guide: Global SIM card - Just �14.99. Save 90% versus roaming.

Here's another link to the PDF version of the User Guide: http://www.simcardglobal.com/Atlas44...er-Guide/A/17/ You'll find the same or similar Global SIM Card offered from several different sites including eKit.

Here' a link to figure out the rates in the currency of your choice: https://www.simcardglobal.com/Our-Rates/
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 08-04-15 at 12:53 AM.
    08-04-15 12:43 AM
    So maybe the SIM for voice, and a TMO unlimited data phone with mobile hotspot capabilities? I was in a TMO store, and they said that I could NOT use my Q10 (100-2) phone, but from the sound of things, I can? What do you think about this: If I'm not ready to say goodbye yet to VZW (but that day may be rapidly approaching), I swap devices (use an old phone) to put on the VZW account, and then take my unlocked Q10 and set it up with TMO. It's got mobile hotspot capabilities, and it keeps me from having to buy a phone...What do you all think?
    08-04-15 01:16 AM
    For offline navigation you really should check out Navfree:
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/54700890

It is really free and has pedestrian mode.

Be aware that you cannot just download all the country maps you would need before you leave home as the app only allows 2 or so country maps to reside on the phone at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 04:55 AM
    kwenie,
    Thank you! I've downloaded a couple, and we'll see how it goes! This should help quite a bit.
    Last edited by soynofoam; 08-04-15 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    08-04-15 07:59 AM
    I normally use the prepaid-wiki for finding the right provider of prepaid SIM-cards.

You have to use google to find it because I am not allowed to post links here (less than 10 posts).
    Search for: prepaid-data-sim-card
    then click on the desired country in the yellow box further down.
    08-04-15 08:27 AM
    What do you think of 2G data in terms of speed?
    Average advertised speeds, if I recall correctly, are 128 kbps. But in some countries, you can easily get better speeds.

What about using the TMO as a mobile hotspot (assuming that 2G is usable) and then using the Q10 with mobile data "shut off" and using wifi on the TMO phone as a mobile hotspot?
    TMO's ToS don't allow hotspot with this roaming feature.
    08-04-15 08:28 AM
    Well, THAT'S not nice of them!
    08-04-15 08:58 AM
    Well, THAT'S not nice of them!
    How about getting local data, be it in the form of a SIM card for a tablet, or a MiFi device that will power your (high speed) data needs? You could hotspot off of that, text the US and local (international) numbers with your T-Mobile phone, and use T-Mobile roaming when in a pinch.
    08-04-15 09:20 AM
    What about inexpensive hotspot recommendations while there?
    Ever heard of fon? Created in Spain in 2005, they claim to have the biggest WiFi network in the world through sharing your (V)DSL-line with an additional box ("Fonera") spanning an additional WiFi-network which is seperated from your private WiFi.
    Recently, fon accomplished some deals with major telcos to increase hotspot availability drastically. For instance, the hotspot coverage of France seems pretty huge if you take a look at their fon-maps.

Hope this helps.
    08-04-15 09:32 AM
    For offline navigation you really should check out Navfree:
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/54700890 Posted via CB10
    Last time I checked, you still can't download NavFree maps to an SD Card.
    08-04-15 09:53 AM
    Last time I checked, you still can't download NavFree maps to an SD Card.
    So that is not a problem then as long as you have enough internal storage capacity.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 10:05 AM
    So that is not a problem then as long as you have enough internal storage capacity. Posted via CB10
    Yes, I tried the Android version which now supports SD Cards, but it crashed when I tried to download the maps.
    08-04-15 05:29 PM
    Hello raino and all...

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I've downloaded, so far, three maps to my Q10 from the recommended offline mapping from Navfree.

I'm beginning to think that a European mobile hotspot is the way to go for data...Is that difficult/costly?
    Thank you!

P.S. How do you get that cool box that says, "Originally Posted by ____" ? Sorry - CB Newbie!
    08-05-15 11:59 PM
    P.S. How do you get that cool box that says, "Originally Posted by ____" ? Sorry - CB Newbie!
    Long press on the message and 'reply with quote'.
    08-06-15 12:12 AM