I picked up a Z10 on release day in Canada and have been using it as my main phone ever since. Recently Telus decided to swap all legacy BlackBerry devices that were still in use at our company to bb10 devices and I picked up a Q10 as my work phone to replace the 9790 I had been using for the past few months.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the screen on the Q10 doesn't show white as well as the Z10. I realize that the Q10 is OLED vs the Z10's TFT but I'm a bit surprised. The white on the Q10 looks rather off-white to me. Is there anything wrong with mine or is this how every Q10 display looks?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 06:17 PM
    That's the main difference between OLED and LCD: LCD does much better whites, but OLED does much better blacks. It's just a difference between the technologies.

I personally haven't seen any Q10s side by side to see how well they compare, but consistency with my Galaxy Nexus, compared to four other Galaxy Nexuses, not one of them looked like the other four, screen-wise. Some were more blue tinted, others reddish, one yellowish.

Sadly, colour tuning doesn't seem to be a thing you can do in BB10. Heck, I needed a custom kernel just do do it in Android, and I think that killed my screen.

So it's a tradeoff: better battery, deeper blacks, not so amazing white.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    08-29-13 06:39 PM