Hi,

lately I got some trouble with my Q10:
    After removing some dust from the mHDMI-Port, my battery run-time got way worse. The device monitor shows that the major battery usage is caused by 'external display', a process which can't be killed manually.
    Hard- and soft-reset did not fix the problem, therefore I think the port is mechanically damaged, and is now 'thinking' it is connected to a monitor all the time.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions what I can do to fix that? Of course I would prefer a Software solution like permanently disabling the ports activity, but mechanically disabling the port would also be a solution.

Thank you for any advice!
    Tobias
    09-29-16 03:28 AM
    I don't thinks so you can doi it by software. Try to clean it, blow or use compressed air.
    The best solution is disassemble BB
    09-29-16 02:47 PM
    No compressed air to avoid water from quick decompression : use a vacuum cleaner to suck any dust left.
    09-29-16 05:13 PM
    OK, I agree with that, it's a better solution
    09-30-16 06:15 AM
    I would have to agree that blowing a phone wouldn't be good - you may get that annoying dust inside the screen.

Can you insert and remove a hdmi cable a couple times to see if it will reset the port?

Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.2813 / 9930 7.1.0.1066
    09-30-16 05:34 PM
    Thank you for your replies.
    I tried inserting and removing a hdmi cable, by doing that I learned that the port is still able to produce a correct signal; unfortunately it did not reset the port. Cleaning the port with a vacuum cleaner did not do the trick either.
    The only way I see right now is to disassemble the device and mechanically disconnect the port - any other advice?
    10-02-16 10:44 AM
    I think that disassembling it would be your only best bet at this time. I don't think there's going to be much help with that. maybe if you software reset/factory reset/wipe ? but it's ultimately up to you and if you rather try one other the other that's completely fine. I would go with disassemble though because you know that you'll 100% be able to get what you need done and it is fairly easy to disassemble a Q10. good luck.
    10-02-16 11:44 AM
    Ok, disassembly it is.
    Opening the phone and getting to the mainboard is no bigger problem, but would you proceed with the broken port?
    10-04-16 07:41 AM
    The disassambly was fairly easy, now I could need some input on what I can do with the broken Port.
    Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Q10 defect mHDMI port causes battery drain-q10_p1.png   Q10 defect mHDMI port causes battery drain-q10_p2.png  
    Last edited by ToLi83; 10-05-16 at 04:34 AM.
    10-05-16 04:13 AM
    Are you looking to just take it out and not use it at all or would you like to perhaps replace it and use it again?

I would recommend cleaning up your device a bit as well. Not with a tissue perhaps something that doesn't give out any dust. Maybe a soft wet towel? Or a baby wipe would do as well. I myself like to use furniture cleaner wipes.
    10-05-16 11:56 AM
    Are you looking to just take it out and not use it at all or would you like to perhaps replace it and use it again?

I would recommend cleaning up your device a bit as well. Not with a tissue perhaps something that doesn't give out any dust. Maybe a soft wet towel? Or a baby wipe would do as well. I myself like to use furniture cleaner wipes.
    Moisture of any kind is a killer of electronic components!

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    10-06-16 04:28 AM
    Interesting that you say that haha. I've used furniture cleaner wipes for my computers internals, phones and the inside of my vehicle. These are the best wipes I've ever bought and they do a very good job. I've never had a problem with moisture and or anything else that has or could potentially damage my things. at least hasn't happened for the last 4 Years almost.
    10-06-16 09:11 AM
    Interesting that you say that haha. I've used furniture cleaner wipes for my computers internals, phones and the inside of my vehicle. These are the best wipes I've ever bought and they do a very good job. I've never had a problem with moisture and or anything else that has or could potentially damage my things. at least hasn't happened for the last 4 Years almost.
    Count your lucky stars. With my luck, I could follow your advice and that would be the end of its existence as anything more than landfill.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    10-06-16 12:58 PM
    Well I appreciate the advice then. I should be looking into using something else. GOOD LUCK.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-06-16 06:00 PM