I've spent the last 48 hours with the Q10. There are a ton of really amazing features, and the performance and (of course) the keyboard are fantastic.

The point of this post is two-fold:
    1) to let buyers be ware that the Copy /Paste / Select features, which are an integral part of email composition, are simply dismal.
    2) more important, to help the Developers see that this issue is a huge one with hardcore BlackBerry users who care far more about crafting emails than most other features.

There are other posts complaining about the same issue, and other users say "it's not that bad" or "you'll get used to it". I don't agree. This needs to be fixed. The main problems are
    A) inconsistency of the functions working.
    B) lack of precision due to the absence of the TrackPad.
    C) lack of keyboard operation during these functions, which would be far more efficient.

I've seen a couple of posts with ideas, and I think the Developer needs to explore them.
    1) a possible mini-trackpad popping up in the lower part of the screen to help with the precision.
    2) having keystrokes assist in the process - like how we used to hold the Alt or Caps key to help make the selection in the Copy process.

(This is ridiculous - I just migrated away from this spot, and it took me literally 20 seconds to get the cursor repositioned back to where I wanted to start typing again. What - am I not tapping exactly on the right spot, or with the right strength?? It shouldn't be this difficult, period. We BlackBerry users have remained feircely loyal to the company and to the keyboard due to the efficiencies provided by it, and the trackpad precision. With the way these features work now, we have lost a major part of that efficiency.

Developers - PLEASE fix this.
    Buyers - purchase at your own risk... or wait for an update

Posted by CB10 from Q10
    ntang, andorejunior, FF22 and 7 others like this.
    06-23-13 07:31 PM
    I agree 100% with this post and it's the most professional on the matter. Good for you for taking the time to post such a well written post.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:10 PM
    I just switched from a Z10 to a Q10 and the copy/paste frustration is the only thing that truly annoys me. I find myself clicking the shift button and flicking up expecting to select but I end up sending the message instead LOL

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:11 PM
    Hey rich, Z user here, and I feel you. I felt the same way for the first couple of weeks. Missed the trackpad and the old BlackBerry button.

Good news, though: once you get used to it, the little bubble thing and select, copy and paste become second nature.

Watch this....

Good news, though: once you get used to it, the little bubble thing and select, copy and paste become second nature.

I just did that as fast or faster than I ever did on my trusty old Torch!

Stick with it, man. It gets better.

Posted via CB10
    robin11, junkmailtk and raremage like this.
    06-23-13 08:16 PM
    i was kind of upset at how i wasn't as good with the Q10 than the 9900, not thinking that i was as skilled with my first BB as i am with my first BB10 device.

It takes a little time to get used to the new OS....keep in mind that this is just that....a brand new OS
    spike12 and j21jam6 like this.
    06-23-13 08:19 PM
    From the many threads on CB it's becoming more apparent that most BB users did NOT fully utilize the many shortcuts and convenient functions of previous iterations.

I played with the Q10 for over an hour. I spent that hour just doing the stuff I *need* from a blackberry. Apps, games, videos I can figure out later. Just mail, phone and texting. It was a horrible experience. I couldn't believe you have to actually get out of an app to make a phone call. And the swiping to get to the hub, the upward gesture doesn't always work, and it requires a whole art form to get there. For the first time in 11 years I left the store empty handed, after a new blackberry was released.

I don't want to get used to it. There is no reason they removed most of the shortcuts and conveniences.

I'm sure I'll be called "old" and told not to let the door slam your ..., whatever.

The Q10 is just another phone on the market - but it sure as heck isn't a blackberry.
    Last edited by elite1; 08-12-13 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Removed quote of other deleted post
    FF22, Carterbits, sam_tek and 5 others like this.
    06-23-13 08:22 PM
    Hey, it's not for everyone, and that's OK. No need to get worked up about it. Sheesh...

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:44 PM
    From the many threads on CB it's becoming more apparent that most BB users did NOT fully utilize the many shortcuts and convenient functions of previous iterations.

I played with the Q10 for over an hour. I spent that hour just doing the stuff I *need* from a blackberry. Apps, games, videos I can figure out later. Just mail, phone and texting. It was a horrible experience. I couldn't believe you have to actually get out of an app to make a phone call. And the swiping to get to the hub, the upward gesture doesn't always work, and it requires a whole art form to get there. For the first time in 11 years I left the store empty handed, after a new blackberry was released.

I don't want to get used to it. There is no reason they removed most of the shortcuts and conveniences.

I'm sure I'll be called "old" and told not to let the door slam your ..., whatever.

The Q10 is just another phone on the market - but it sure as heck isn't a blackberry.
    It IS in fact a blackberry. And yes. It's an issue. This whole copy and paste fiasco. It was in fact, much better on the older blackberry devices but there's no need for 10 people to start a thread about the same thing. Updates will fix these issues. Just like they do for every other platform when updates come through correctly the first time.

10 threads on the same issue within a couple days of eachother is a little much. Especially when these issues are having novels written about them.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by elite1; 08-12-13 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Removed quote of other deleted post
    06-23-13 09:49 PM
    If you have an issue with the device and it's not a "blackberry" to you, then buy another device. It's that simple. No Device is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 09:49 PM
    It IS in fact a blackberry. And yes. It's an issue. This whole copy and paste fiasco. It was in fact, much better on the older blackberry devices but there's no need for 10 people to start a thread about the same thing. Updates will fix these issues. Just like they do for every other platform when updates come through correctly the first time.

Grow some skin, how's that?
    10 threads on the same issue within a couple days of eachother is a little much. Especially when these issues are having novels written about them.

Posted via CB10
    Much better

However, UNTIL they actually get to update # 10.5 (it seems), I stand by what I wrote.

I agree, we don't need 10 posts whining about the same thing. But anything that MAY catch bbry's attention is worth a shot...
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    06-23-13 09:59 PM
    Much better

However, UNTIL they actually get to update # 10.5 (it seems), I stand by what I wrote.

I agree, we don't need 10 posts whining about the same thing. But anything that MAY catch bbry's attention is worth a shot...
    Sorry, I get worked up. But I understand. Glad we're on the same page. I'm quite opinionated and I apologize for that.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 10:02 PM
    While I understand the OP's frustration, all I can say is that it took me forever to get used to the trackball/trackpad of my Curve, Tour, Bold. I thought it was a poor and slow method of text selection. After having used Androids and IOS, I had no problem with the touch screen of the Z10 and Q10. To each his own, good luck to you.
    Last edited by quangtran1; 06-24-13 at 08:02 PM.
    06-23-13 10:02 PM
    I think we still need the trackpad on the Q10 but problem is that we'll need the call buttons along with the menu and "back" buttons. We'll lose screen real estate. I guess it's a catch 22 in some ways. I feel the trackpad was PERFECT for text selection.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 10:04 PM
    And another thing. An hour with a device doesn't give you a qualification to give a valid review of a phone. Especially that it was in a store that you tested it in. Your post is now invalid and pointless. If you don't want to deal with the learning curve then you're just being arrogant. Everyone was dying for a new OS, now that they have it, they complain that it's not ENOUGH like the old one. With time, there will be updates.

Posted via CB10
    Everyone was not complaining about swipes and gestures. The complaints were about the apps, lag, hourglass, sluggishness, re-boots, nightly battery pulls, and an antique browser.

IMHO all bbry had to do was make the 9900 much faster, nimbler, throw in 4G and a much better browser, and we'd all be happy.

Who in the world asked/begged/convinced them to get rid of the track pad?

I think they chased away more previous users than lured iPhone or droid customers.
    06-23-13 10:05 PM
    I actually think its the single best phone I've ever used and I've used most of them. If someone reads all the negative stuff written by trolls or other OS users wasting time slamming BB then unfortunately you will beging to believe it. I went from my 9810 to the Q10 on Friday and honestly within 2 hrs of doing the device swithch and sync/backup using Link, I was off and running. The cut/paste issue is no different on any other tablet or touch screen. I have the same issues with my tablet and my friends have it with their iPads and iPhones. it's just life and once you learn how to use the 'Edit Circle" its a walk in the park. I for one believed a lot of what I read on these new Q10 forums but thankfully I have a great friend on here that is a dev and his best advice to me was simple. "You can make it as hard or as easy as you want", it's all up to you". I followed his advice. Backed up my 9810 via DM-uninstalled DM and Installed Link 1.1.1.26 and plugged both phones in to my PC. Clicked on Device Switch and bingo, it moved everything over just like its supposed to. I then picked out what I wanted to 2-way sync with my Outlook 2007 and clicked "Sync"--again just like it is supposed to work (though many said otherwise on ther). Backed up and then sent about 200 texts and emails in the last two days. Bottom line, when I needed to edit I pressed on the word and slid my finger down the paragraph that was to be cut or edited in one way or another. Much to my surprise, the "edit circle" popped up and that made it 100% easier to edit the text than any tablet I've worked with. Bottom line is simple--you can make it as easy as you want or as hard as you want. I honestly believe this is the best smartphone on the market period. Doubt me, try typing 200-300 messages a day on an iPhone or an Android and report back. Let's be positive here. Negative trashing never helps anyone, especially the trash-talker.
    Last edited by go1ndr; 06-23-13 at 10:17 PM.
    gnirkatto and thedose like this.
    06-23-13 10:07 PM
    Sorry, I get worked up. But I understand. Glad we're on the same page. I'm quite opinionated and I apologize for that.

Posted via CB10
    Accepted and understood. Phones do that to us...
    06-23-13 10:08 PM
    Accepted and understood. Phones do that to us...
    Scroll up. I just mentioned the trackpad issue xD

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 10:10 PM
    I actually think its the single best phone I've ever used and I've used most of them. If someone reads all the negative stuff written by trolls or other OS users wasting time slamming BB then unfortunately you will beging to believe it. I went from m 9810 to the Q10 on Friday and honestly within 2 hrs of doing the device swithch and sync/backup using Link, I was off and running. The cut/paste issue is no different on any other tablet or touch screen. I have the same issues with my tablet and my friends have it with their iPads and iPhones. it's just life and once you learn how to use the 'Edit Circle" its a walk in the park. I for one believed a lot of what I read on these new Q10 forums but thankfully I have a great friend on here that is a dev and his best advice to me was simple. "You can make it as hard or as easy as you want", it's all up to you". I followed his advice. Backed up my 9810 via DM-uninstalled DM and Installed Link 1.1.1.26 and plugged both phones in to my PC. Clicked on Device Switch and bingo, it moved everything over just like its supposed to. I then picked out what I wanted to 2-way sync with my Outlook 2007 and clicked "Sync"--again just like it is supposed to work (though many said otherwise on ther). Backed up and then sent about 200 texts and emails in the last two days. Bottom line, when I needed to edit I pressed on the word and slid my finger down the paragraph that was to be cut or edited in one way or another. Much to my surprise, the "edit circle" popped up and that made it 100% easier to edit the text than any tablet I've worked with. Bottom line is simple--you can make it as easy as you want or as hard as you want. I honestly believe this is the best smartphone on the market period. Doubt me, try typing 200-300 messages a day on an iPhone or an Android and report back. Let's be positive here. Negative trashing never helps anyone, especially the trash-talker.
    Sir,

Please don't call anyone who doesn't agree with you a "troll." (The most abused word on the internet!)

When I do eventually get the Q10, or Q20, once they bring back all the shortcuts etc., I will be here raving about it. I'll start 10 threads and sound like a lunatic. They definitely made great strides with the browser and camera, but somehow forgot the 'other' stuff which made them the addictive CRACKberry!
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    06-23-13 10:12 PM
    Scroll up. I just mentioned the trackpad issue xD

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, now I see.

If they had put "those" four buttons with the trackpad, and speed dial, (profiles and the OLD word substitution) this phone would be ions ahead of the competition!
    06-23-13 10:14 PM
    I have always used qwerty bbs until I got the z. I decided I would support bbry no matter what and if I didn't like the z I would simply sell it and get the q10. After 2 week With the z I was sold. It took me another 2 weeks to become fully proficient with the device.

Since 10.1 was released the text selection and text navigation has become much better and I find myself not having the same issues I had earlier.

That being said there is some instances where I have difficulty bringing that round text selector up. Usually only requires a few additional taps which is a far cry in speed and accuracy as my track pad use to have.

All in all I don't really feel it takes to much away from the phone. I receive anywhere from 50-100 emails a day and out of those 50-75% require a response. Additionally I compose anywhere from 10-30 emails. With the z keyboard I am able to pound out the emails extremely fast and for the most part as accurate as my 9700. The auto correct on the z is mind blowing.

For all of the + to the new os and form factor I personally feel that the gripe I have with the text selector is minimal. I do wish it does see an enhancement perhaps similar to the ios where it magnifies the text if not already zoomed into the field. That in itself would greatly add to the awesomeness which is the z10.

I don't think the op was trolling and he mentioned a very valid real world concern for heavy BlackBerry users. Based off of my experience my advice would be to use the z10 for heavy email use as I find less thumb fatigue and also the ability to pound out line after line in quick succession. If there are words or abbreviations which u use often and find easier on the physical qwerty simply add these into the personal dictionary or word substitution list and you will find yourself not missing the physical qwerty as much.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 10:16 PM
    Well put, this isn't a troll issue to complain about at all. I love the Q10, however, that function can be annoying. I liked the idea of the pop up trackpad! Well see how this goes. Thanks for posting.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 10:16 PM
    It's still sooo much easier than the iPhone.
    06-23-13 10:56 PM
    BlackBerry should think about implementing the method that webOS used. When the cursor was in a text field, you could hold down the 'opt' key and swipe anywhere on the screen to move it around. So a left swipe would move the cursor to the left from its original position (regardless of where on the screen the swipe occurred), an up swipe moved it up, etc. If you held down the 'shift' key instead it would select text as the cursor moved over it. It was really handy especially as the webOS phones had dinky screens and no magnifier "bubble" to help you accurately position the cursor by tapping.
    Qrewww likes this.
    06-24-13 12:10 AM
    Uh..... if the OP complained about the above I'm pretty sure you'd be telling him it was not the right forum .

I think it's good to know that the copy,paste function sucks. All info from someone's experience is helpful. I didn't get the feeling that the OP was a troll. I could be wrong of course.
    Sucks overstates it, and by a lot. Yes, it takes some getting used to, and even then there are times when it can be frustrating. Corner cases once you get the hang of it, in my opinion, but they do happen. It can also be inconsistent at times.

But after a few days it becomes much more routine and less hassle. I do hope they add some keyboard functions back though, that would be a big help. There's room for improvement, no question, but it's not like you're wandering around a dark room trying to feel your way to select text. It works.
    06-24-13 12:15 AM
    The point of this post is two-fold:
    1) to let buyers be ware that the Copy /Paste / Select features, which are an integral part of email composition, are simply dismal.
    2) more important, to help the Developers see that this issue is a huge one with hardcore BlackBerry users who care far more about crafting emails than most other features.

There are other posts complaining about the same issue, and other users say "it's not that bad" or "you'll get used to it". I don't agree. This needs to be fixed. The main problems are
    A) inconsistency of the functions working.
    B) lack of precision due to the absence of the TrackPad.
    C) lack of keyboard operation during these functions, which would be far more efficient.

Buyers - purchase at your own risk... or wait for an update

Posted by CB10 from Q10
    Its actually quite obvious. Not one device manufactured in 2013 has the accuracy and speed to match the BBOS devices when it comes to copy paste, and it looks to be that way for some time since the trackpad is going the way of the roller ball mouse.

If it is imperative that one needs super accurate copy paste, get a trackpad BBOS device, nothing else. It will be a huge compromise, yes, but might be worth the benefits of precise letter by letter tracking and huge shift+select.
    06-24-13 01:43 AM
53 123