i am almost ready to go back to my 9700, at least it was dumb enough to do what i wanted it to do. If anyone has solutions for these two bothersome details, i'd be ever so grateful:

1. Autofill -- how the heck do you turn off text auto fill when typing text into the browser?? it offers me three autofill options of full sentences. So yeah, how many sentences do you think start with THE or I that I want to repeat??

2. Word Substitution -- after going to great lengths to re-set up all my favourite word substitution short cuts, none of them work when typing text in the browser. They work fine texting or in emails, but not browser text.

please please let these be user errors.
    05-05-13 02:36 PM
    Did you try the various options in Settings/Language and Input/On-Screen Keyboard, and Settings/Language and Input/Automated Assistance?

For Automated Assistance, I have Auto-Complete set to "Modest".

Though I admit, I don't do a huge amount of text entry in the browser..
    05-05-13 02:45 PM
    What setting for on screen keyboard? This is the Q10 forum

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 02:49 PM
    Did you try the various options in Settings/Language and Input/On-Screen Keyboard, and Settings/Language and Input/Automated Assistance?
    For Automated Assistance, I have Auto-Complete set to "Modest".
    that seems like a good place to look. sadly, i don't seem to HAVE an Automated Assistance toggle. my options go like so:
    >System Settings
    >Language and Input
    >>Display Language: Language, Region, Measurement System
    >>Text Input: Input languages, Prediction and Correction, Spell Check
    >>Other Input Methods: Voice Dictation

Prediction and Correction
    >> Prediction Display
    Show Predictions: OFF

Correction Behaviour
    Auto Correct with Spacebar: OFF
    Word Substitution
    Auto Capitalise: ON
    Period Shortcut: ON
    Learn New Words: OFF

I have not got anything called Input/On-Screen keyboard or Input/Automated Assistance... but will search more
    05-05-13 02:56 PM
    yeah, you know you're losing your grip when you reply to your own thread to rant.... that's me right now.

just got off the phone with Koodo tech support. the poor guys don't even have any q10s or simulators. dude hadn't even seen one. so not surprisingly, he was unable to help.
    05-05-13 03:30 PM
    I have not got anything called Input/On-Screen keyboard or Input/Automated Assistance... but will search more
    I don't have that option either.

I noticed in the Browser setting there is an option to turn off search suggestions. Is it related to searches?
    05-05-13 03:43 PM
    yes, far as i can tell, search suggestions is related to entries in the search engine field. i have it turned off for now though, just in case
    05-05-13 05:17 PM
    Haha, yeah I was a bonehead for making suggestions about looking at the settings for, among other things, "on-screen keyboard".

I guess I don't have anything else to offer in terms of suggestions then. I don't enter text in the BB10 browser often enough to get a feel for whether its text predictions are problematic or not.

I guess I'll just quietly leave by the door to the right now ----->

05-05-13 05:24 PM
    On Z10 you open your browser, tap on three dots, tap setting, tap display, then you can turn search suggestions on off. I hope that is what you want to do. It should be similar in Q10

Posted from my lovely Z10
    05-05-13 05:43 PM
    are you really comparing the bb10 browser to the 9700 browser ???
    05-05-13 05:49 PM
    oscar:
    if my choices are (a) browser that allows me to get the sht done i need to get done aka 9700 vs (b) browser that makes me swear the air blue while taking longer to get sht done then yes.... and the 9700 is winning.

if i didn't need to do anything, just wanted to look at pictures or read, the Q10 browser would be wonderful. i'm starting to think the device or os is just buggy because the word substitution setting stopped working after a battery pull. it's def a BB issue
    05-05-13 05:55 PM