I see quite a bit of vendor/device bashing going on, so I'd like to spread some positive to try to counter some of the negativity surrounding this device and BB10 in general. I have owned 7 other smartphones since 2008, including a blackberry 7290, 8700c, 8100, the first 3g Curve, the 9310 Curve, an Android phone called the Comet (t-mobile) and the Sidekick 4G. The Q10 is by far the absolute best smartphone I have ever owned. I love the gesture-based UI, and the keyboard is so easy to type on. This phone is so easy to use, a monkey could do it. I cannot think of anything that could make this phone better. I literally figured this entire phone out in a few days, without once having to read the user guide or do a search online. I have never figured a (smart)phone out that quickly in my entire life. I honestly can not understand how some people can find this device so complicated or hard to use. This phone is what BlackBerry should have come up with a long time ago. If they had, they might not be in the hole so deep right now. I think part of the reason some people are so picky about this phone is because they know it was RIM's last-ditch effort to save the company, and they feel entitled to place unrealistic expectations on the company. What a lot of people don't understand is that right now, RIM is trying to compete with every other mobile platform out there. These other platforms try to cater to every different type of user, and if RIM couldn't try to do that as well, they would certainly go under. Unfortunately, even though I love this phone, I think it was too bold of a move at a time when too many critics (users included) had RIM very tightly under a microscope, and that's what is causing the company to fail. I am not a business professional, I use smartphones and other mobile devices because I strongly feel that the future of all computing is headed in a mobile direction. Smartphones and tablets will eventually replace pc's, and I believe the Q10 is a forerunner to that change in a big way. I use my smartphone or tablet for nearly all of my Web browsing, including online shopping and the tracking of packages. I get my email on my smartphone or tablet. I also don't have a landline, so all communications go through my blackberry. I'm just a regular guy who relies on my smartphone or tablet for all communication purposes. And I think the Q10 is great for any regular person who wants to do it all on the go.
    10-23-13 04:23 AM
    Unfortunately all the other regular people want netflix and instagram, and if we ever get those it will be something else. Everything you have listed can be done on any modern smartphone so bbry needs to tell people why there's is better and they have failed to do that.

Posted via CB10
    MarcelQ10 likes this.
    10-23-13 05:08 AM
    Unfortunately all the other regular people want netflix and instagram, and if we ever get those it will be something else. Everything you have listed can be done on any modern smartphone so bbry needs to tell people why there's is better and they have failed to do that.

Posted via CB10
    That's right. But can they do it at the same time without closing the previous app?

Secret Squirreling with my Q.
    10-23-13 05:48 AM
    I understand netflix on an iPad or other tablet but don't get why anyone would want it on an mobile device as small as a phone. BTW, as an iPhone user as well (with an instagram account) I do understand people, even serious business users, prosumers, who think the lack of that app on their mobile device.

Posted via CB10
    len pothier likes this.
    10-23-13 06:45 AM
    I do believe that some have got a way for Netflix to work in the forum. And with the HDMI output I also see why some might need or want it to work. Instagram? There was also something in the forum called iGrann. There seems to be some type of work around for almost every app that the masses want.

Secret Squirreling with my Q.
    10-23-13 07:16 AM
    10-23-13 07:23 AM
    Serious question: Those that think this is the "Best phone ever" - have you used other phones (especially within the last 2-3 years)?
    I'm not trying to be negative, it's a serious question. Here's what I say this.
    I was a STRICT Blackberry user. Literally since 2005 I carried at least 1. Then in roughly 2008 I went to 2 (I have a .gov job so I need a personal phone). In 2012 I needed a replacement for my personal blackberry. US Cellular has pretty much kicked Blackberry to the curb. So I went and got a Note II. I use both the Q10 and Note II.
    It's night and day. Night and day.
    Here's where I find the basic differences
    - Apps: Wife and I went on a min vaction. We were able to find things, find movies from my Note II.
    - Mapping: Google maps for the win....
    - PDF/Excel Docs on my Note II.... VERY HANDY
    - Internet Browsing (granted, this isn't a very fair comparison due to the Note II is much physically bigger) is easy.
    - Home Key: I can bail out of a program easily and instantly
    - Bluetooth: No clue why but my personal Explorer and my work Expedition - neither of them - like the Blackberry. I've taken both the to dealership and updated both flashware. Nothing helped. My Note (and in my personal Explorer my wife's phone) works fine on both system.
    Now - if you just want email and a phone with (let's call a spade a spade) outstanding battery life - Go Q10. The camera is pretty dang good too. I haven't had much luck with the video shenanigans - but that could be my fault. I fully admit I can send emails/texts MUCH faster on my Q10 then the Note II.
    This is discounting all the issues with the Q10 such as missing speed dial keys, Blackberry Protect, random freezes and what not.
    10-23-13 07:29 AM
    I understand netflix on an iPad or other tablet but don't get why anyone would want it on an mobile device as small as a phone. BTW, as an iPhone user as well (with an instagram account) I do understand people, even serious business users, prosumers, who think the lack of that app on their mobile device.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know. If I'm on a long flight, taxi, train etc ride or sitting and waiting I can see myself watching a movie or something. Some of you must be productive and not wasting any time ever. Good for you. I don't want to live like that.
    10-23-13 07:31 AM
    I have read your thread and it just sums up two problems:

1) Your device needs looking at
    2) user error. Most of the problems that you highlight as not being there, are in fact there. They may not be at the area that you expected them to be, as in previous BBOS, but with a new OS comes a new way of doing things... hence BB10 is different to that of legacy BB's.

IMHO, I think the BB10 and the Q10 is a great device and I agree with the OP comments.
    beamolite likes this.
    10-23-13 07:35 AM
    IMHO, I think the BB10 and the Q10 is a great device and I agree with the OP comments.
    Okay, I'm not being negative.
    - Why?
    10-23-13 07:40 AM
    Serious question: Those that think this is the "Best phone ever" - have you used other phones (especially within the last 2-3 years)?
    I was a STRICT Blackberry user. Literally since 2005 I carried at least 1. Then in roughly 2008 I went to 2 (I have a .gov job so I need a personal phone). In 2012 I needed a replacement for my personal blackberry. US Cellular has pretty much kicked Blackberry to the curb. So I went and got a Note II. I use both the Q10 and Note II.
    - Apps: Wife and I went on a min vaction. We were able to find things, find movies from my Note II.
    - Internet Browsing (granted, this isn't a very fair comparison due to the Note II is much physically bigger) is easy.
    - Bluetooth: No clue why but my personal Explorer and my work Expedition - neither of them - like the Blackberry. I've taken both the to dealership and updated both flashware. Nothing helped. My Note (and in my personal Explorer my wife's phone) works fine on both system.
    Now - if you just want email and a phone with (let's call a spade a spade) outstanding battery life - Go Q10. The camera is pretty dang good too. I haven't had much luck with the video shenanigans - but that could be my fault. I fully admit I can send emails/texts MUCH faster on my Q10 then the Note II.
    This is discounting all the issues with the Q10 such as missing speed dial keys, Blackberry Protect, random freezes and what not.
    I have tried other devices: Samsung Galaxy 2 and 3, Windows 8 phone (Nokia Lumia), iPhone 4 and 5....... all of which saw me rushing back to my BlackBerry device.

All in all, I think the which phone is best argument is somewhat played out. If you don't particularly like a phone, then done buy / use that phone. And when I say like, I mean a phone that fits around your needs and desire in such device.

"Home Key: I can bail out of a program easily and instantly" Sorry, I just had to touch on that one... swiping up and minimising my programme and the quickly going back to that programme is FAR better on a BB10 than a device with a "home key".
    10-23-13 07:45 AM
    Okay, I'm not being negative.
    - Why?
    Because the device does what I want it to do.

I do not want apps.
    I do not play games on my phone
    I do not do social media on my phone

I send emails on my phone
    I send texts on my phone
    I arrange meetings on my phone
    I write, store and read documents on my phone

Those (to name a few) are the KEY benefits to why I choose my Q10 device.

No disrespect to the other phones, but I want a phone / communicator / organiser and not a toy / gimmick / game station / music device. I have other devices for that and they do the job just fine.

That is my opinion.
    10-23-13 07:48 AM
    Only issue with the swipe theory is I've had the screen freeze and not be able to swipe.
    Both phones **** me off with the swipe to answer. Working in the field with gloves on....epic fail....
    10-23-13 07:50 AM
    There's no empirical set of measures that could prove, scientifically, that the Q10 is the best phone ever. Nor the Galaxy S4. Note, Nexus. iPhone.

It boils down to personal preference, and value judgments. You can argue those til you're blue in the face, but if someone's on the other side of the fence, all it'll do is get'em worked up (especially if they're an iPhone user! LOL).
    10-23-13 08:06 AM
    In the OP, I listed all the other devices I have used, starting with my first blackberry (the 7290) back in 2008. Both the android phones I owned were garbage. I took my Sidekick 4G and stomped it on the ground after it wiped my memory card twice. In another thread, there were 9 android phones that were listed as possible replacements for the Q10. At least four of them I know for a fact were known to be problematic to the point of being almost unusable. The problem with android is that it's not stable across all devices (some devices it does work fine on and is very stable, but many devices with android are unstable), and that is the chief reason I will never go back to an android phone. Yes, all the basic functions that I rely on my phone for can be found in any smartphone, but it's the particular WAY that the Q handles these functions, that makes using it so enjoyable for me. I never said the Q was the best phone ever made. I said it was the best phone I have ever owned, a statement of subjective opinion that no one can make for me.
    rawat_sandip likes this.
    10-23-13 08:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't get this.

I also badly wanted insta. I have sideloaded it. No worries.

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-23-13 08:27 AM
    I think my Q10 is the best Phone ive owned too (followed very closely by my 9900) ... The physical keyboard combined with killer battery life sets this phone apart as a communications workhorse
    10-23-13 11:02 AM
    Because the device does what I want it to do.

I do not want apps.
    I do not play games on my phone
    I do not do social media on my phone

I send emails on my phone
    I send texts on my phone
    I arrange meetings on my phone
    I write, store and read documents on my phone

Those (to name a few) are the KEY benefits to why I choose my Q10 device.

No disrespect to the other phones, but I want a phone / communicator / organiser and not a toy / gimmick / game station / music device. I have other devices for that and they do the job just fine.

That is my opinion.
    And that's how it should be. My husband still has a BB OS 5 Tour that he uses as you've described above and he loves it. I, on the other hand, need more than that. We've got kids and grandkids and I want to see posts, pics, and even watch one of our granddaughters play softball from across the country (hello FaceTime - who knew?). I'd had nothing but bbs until my 9930 quit on me about 6 mos ago. Sprint gave me 3 choices - iPhone, Android, or 2-yr-old 9930. I listened to my kids & went with iPhone & have never looked back. I had no idea what I was missing. It's the perfect fit for me right now. Is it the perfect fit for everyone? Absolutely not. To each his/her own. Who cares what other people think? Not me.
    jakie55 and moyah8 like this.
    10-23-13 11:57 AM
    It is one of best smartphones i've had, too. The bashing is no different from other windows or android phone forums i have visited in past. I could substitute Palm Treo 700w, HTC Thunderbird or Nokia Lumia 822 for Q10 in this forum and posts would be same.

It seems the worst posts are from users who are clueless about how to set up anything other than a username. The spoiled little brat, me, me, me, now, now, now type!

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:12 PM
    And that's how it should be. My husband still has a BB OS 5 Tour that he uses as you've described above and he loves it. I, on the other hand, need more than that. We've got kids and grandkids and I want to see posts, pics, and even watch one of our granddaughters play softball from across the country (hello FaceTime - who knew?). I'd had nothing but bbs until my 9930 quit on me about 6 mos ago. Sprint gave me 3 choices - iPhone, Android, or 2-yr-old 9930. I listened to my kids & went with iPhone & have never looked back. I had no idea what I was missing. It's the perfect fit for me right now. Is it the perfect fit for everyone? Absolutely not. To each his/her own. Who cares what other people think? Not me.
    Exactly.

"To each his / her own"... sadly people just follow the hype / crowd like sheep. then then end up with a device they can't use to its full potential, or simple just don't like as it can't do what THEY want.

Come on people.. we are all unique.Make a smart choice based on you and not others.

For me, it's the BlackBerry Q10 (best yet)... don't hate on me for that.

For you, it's the Android or iOS.. I won't hate you for it.

What we should really moan about is why don't they make a universal charger for all phones? :-)

Posted via CB10 from my Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    10-23-13 12:47 PM
    Universal charger? Isn't mini usb the standard for charging ports now? Can't remember the last time I saw a phone that didn't have it. I'm using an old samsung charger (think its from a sidekick 4g, actually) to charge my Q, because the charger it came with just isn't long enough for me. Works fine, and my battery lasts almost a full day.
    10-23-13 01:52 PM
    Universal charger? Isn't mini usb the standard for charging ports now? Can't remember the last time I saw a phone that didn't have it. I'm using an old samsung charger (think its from a sidekick 4g, actually) to charge my Q, because the charger it came with just isn't long enough for me. Works fine, and my battery lasts almost a full day.
    Errrrrr.... iPhone!

Posted via CB10 from my Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    axllebeer likes this.
    10-23-13 02:21 PM
    I also don't watch movies on my phone. Since BB10 doesn't have BrickBreaker, I don't play games on this phone either. I have a PS3 for video games anyway. I don't use Instagram either. I do use Facebook, but not twitter or any other social networks. I suppose in general I just use my phone for the same basic functions as most people. I'm not a power user, either, but feel that if I were, this phone would handle it quite nicely.
    10-23-13 02:45 PM
    Sorry to read you didn't like that much your Q10.
    I find it astonishing and wouldn't come back to iOS for nothing!
    About your reasons:
    1- Apps are not a big issue as i can side-download android ones with Chrome plug in and developer mode on my Q10. It takes me really less than going on the appstore and buy a native one. And some android apps are really great (Songza, downloadmp3 etc.)
    2- Mapping: native one isn't for me. i bought BeMaps Pro and it's really the best google maps experience i ever had. Mireo isn't bad neither.
    3- PDF/Excels surely are more easily used on a bigger screen. But i find the menus very clear and i didn't have the difficulties i expected when i considered a 3.1" screen as my daily phone. But clearly the bigger screen you have the better you'll find yourself with workflow.
    4- Internet browsing is smart on the Q10 and reader mode is fabulous. I also bought Evolution Browser and Max Browser, my preference going to the latter, the native browser isn't bad though, i find it very responsive. Then again, small screen but very well capitalised.
    5- Home key: THE thing i don't miss at all!!! I was bored with the home button, BB10 swiping gestures are really more efficient and natural imho.
    6- Bluetooth: is working fine, i never experienced any issue with it, and use it a lot to share files with my friends.

I am not a gamer, i use a lot Twitter, Whatsapp (and soon BBM as soon as i find my friends on it) i browse a lot on different types of sites (forums are a bit difficult because of the small screen i must admit but i got used to it), i listen to a lot of music, and love the way i can jump from a video or listen a mp3 and go peeking an email that has just arrived.
    Just to say that i think the Q10 isn't only for a limited use. Multitasking is just the best on the market imho, and i tried the Galaxy Note, Nexus and iphone 5 of many of my friends (some of them really appreciated my Q10 too!)
    But clearly if a Q30 were to be on the market i'd buy it in a heartbeat! as for me the only little issue is the 3.1" screen: a 4" screen minimum would make it the ideal smartphone for me.
    10-23-13 02:46 PM
    Fantastic phone apart from the disappointing battery life

Posted on CB 10, browsing on my Z10 and typing on my Q10
    10-23-13 03:48 PM
52 123