Hope someone can help.

I've already posted elsewhere that I am not fully happy with my 3-week old Q10 and have another Bold due to be delivered to me soon. I will keep the Q10 (My boss got it for me on our company's phone contract so its here for the next 2 years ) but suspect that I may be happier with another Bold for various reasons.
    However, before I drop the Q10 into my desk drawer for a few months there are a few things which I would like if possible to resolve, and which may help me to like it a little more. My question relates to BBM, which I do use a fair bit.
    BBM is of course a great thing, but as we all know , you can't switch it "off". -That's OK, you adapt to it but there are times when contacts send you a message, but you just don't have the time (or it's simply not convenient) to write a reply. The problem with this is that if you read the message, the sender knows you have done so immediately and perhaps waits for your reply as you obviously have your phone in your hand.. Not replying at that moment can seem rude perhaps, you may of course be busy, or you quite simply may not want to at that moment. There was a nice way around this on older versions of the OS where you could open the "Chat History" for that contact, read the new message , but it would still show as "unread" until you were ready to fully open the chat and reply. This was really useful, but I just cant figure out how to do the same with my Q10. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Many thanks
    11-02-13 06:26 PM
    Hope someone can help.

I've already posted elsewhere that I am not fully happy with my 3-week old Q10 and have another Bold due to be delivered to me soon. I will keep the Q10 (My boss got it for me on our company's phone contract so its here for the next 2 years ) but suspect that I may be happier with another Bold for various reasons.
    However, before I drop the Q10 into my desk drawer for a few months there are a few things which I would like if possible to resolve, and which may help me to like it a little more. My question relates to BBM, which I do use a fair bit.
    BBM is of course a great thing, but as we all know , you can't switch it "off". -That's OK, you adapt to it but there are times when contacts send you a message, but you just don't have the time (or it's simply not convenient) to write a reply. The problem with this is that if you read the message, the sender knows you have done so immediately and perhaps waits for your reply as you obviously have your phone in your hand.. Not replying at that moment can seem rude perhaps, you may of course be busy, or you quite simply may not want to at that moment. There was a nice way around this on older versions of the OS where you could open the "Chat History" for that contact, read the new message , but it would still show as "unread" until you were ready to fully open the chat and reply. This was really useful, but I just cant figure out how to do the same with my Q10. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Many thanks
    I never used BBM until I got my Q10 but what you described would be VERY useful. I hope someone chimes in w/ a way to do this too!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 08:19 PM
    I'm not sure if you can mark something "unread," but if you read the BBM message in Hub (without tapping it to navigate into the BBM chat), it stays marked unread.

Obviously that?s only an option for short messages. Let me add this: are you sure you're not setting the wrong expectations? I don't feel any pressure to reply right away to a BBM even if it's been marked "read." My BBM contacts know I'll reply when I can even if it isn't right when I read the message.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by woofhaven; 11-03-13 at 12:54 AM.
    11-03-13 12:35 AM
    Change your status to 'Busy'? No one is asking you to reply immediately after reading. Unless it's all about the mental pressure you're giving yourself.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:42 AM
    You'd put your Q10 away and use an old Bold because you don't want people to know you've read their BBM?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:28 AM
    It has to do with honesty... why fool your correspondent? Be fair. Message read but still not answered yet is also a valuable information. It also spares to confirm the reading and is a step foward in the communication.
    Most messages do not need to be answered, but you answer with "ok", smily, thumbs up, when you read them (sms/What'sApp) to make your correspondent know you're read it. So it spares the time to answer an evident information, since the sender would see the message is marked as read.
    You can write sth to say, that you've not the time (or the will) to answer ther request... but you can let it be as it is: "read, not answered yet"!

Posted via my Q10, Germany
    11-03-13 04:13 AM
    It has to do with honesty... why fool your correspondent? Be fair. Message read but still not answered yet is also a valuable information. It also spares to confirm the reading and is a step foward in the communication.
    Most messages do not need to be answered, but you answer with "ok", smily, thumbs up, when you read them (sms/What'sApp) to make your correspondent know you're read it. So it spares the time to answer an evident information, since the sender would see the message is marked as read.
    You can write sth to say, that you've not the time (or the will) to answer ther request... but you can let it be as it is: "read, not answered yet"!

Posted via my Q10, Germany
    You could create an autotext entry: "read you BBM but will not be able to answer until later. I will be in touch as soon as possible. Thanks.". And set that to fly with an easy to enter set of letters: "bbmm." Boom.

Autotext is probably one of the most underutilized functions on the BlackBerry platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:46 AM
    You could create an autotext entry: "read you BBM but will not be able to answer until later. I will be in touch as soon as possible. Thanks.". And set that to fly with an easy to enter set of letters: "bbmm." Boom.

Autotext is probably one of the most underutilized functions on the BlackBerry platform.

Posted via CB10
    I love it, but BlackBerry needs to fix the %b macro. Just type bb for BlackBerry, bbw for BlackBerry World...

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-03-13 08:50 AM
    I do appreciate anyone taking the time to reply to any question I might have, but I do maintain that any reasons I may have for wanting to achieve a task will be my own. The ability to do what I asked about was obviously required by a good number of people before me, as the answer was there to be found. If I get an SMS message I don't feel under pressure to answer straight away, simply because at that moment the sender does not know that I have read it. I DO have a contact or two in my list who take it as an affront (yes, perhaps unreasonably) if I read the message but don't reply soon after for whatever reason. All I wanted to discover was if it's still possible with the Q10 to avoid any misunderstandings and be able to do this simple thing like before.
    I'm NOT dumping the Q10 solely because of this, -but it IS another item on the list of minor annoyances and what feels like reduced functionality (for the way I work). Plenty of other people feel the same way too, from what I read here.
    There was a reply (thank you ) who suggested just reading it in the Hub, but it appears that the Hub it only shows part of the last line in a multi line message (thanks anyway).
    Thanks for replying everyone, but I am guessing it can't be done any more.
    It's a shame, but I'm looking forward to the delivery of the Bold, and I am sorry if that offends anyone.
    11-03-13 04:49 PM
    You getting rid of q10 for this one silly feature
    !! Get used to change.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 04:53 PM
    I hope it works out for you (genuinely), but don't be too surprised if BlackBerry snatches this away from you on the Bold as well. The function you describe probably would be considered by them to be a "bug" rather than a "feature," which is a reason I doubt we will ever see this on BB10 even though they are trying to bring other BBOS features along over time.

In any event, it's a shame the Q10 isn't going to work for you. If people on here crab at you for your decision, ignore them. It's your money (or your boss's, I guess).

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 05:29 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 02:33 PM