I have a speaker system connected to my Apple Airport Wifi thingy. Is there a way to stream music to my speakers via Wifi like with the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:56 PM
    I have a speaker system connected to my Apple Airport Wifi thingy. Is there a way to stream music to my speakers via Wifi like with the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Settings - Media and Sharing - Enable what you want to share, click devices, and choose which devices to share with.

Also when in a song, try using the 3 buttons and click "Play On", see if your Airport comes up
    06-22-13 06:17 PM
    I have a Denon receiver (less than a year old). It worked but would timeout after a couple songs played. Not sure what was wrong and this added to the list of why I returned it.

Hopefully yours does not timeout or you can find some setting to prevent that from happening.
    06-22-13 07:06 PM
    Settings - Media and Sharing - Enable what you want to share, click devices, and choose which devices to share with.

Also when in a song, try using the 3 buttons and click "Play On", see if your Airport comes up
    No I do not think this is correct. You would need an App. I think there is an Andoid app you could try porting if you could get it.
    06-22-13 07:16 PM
    I have a Denon receiver (less than a year old). It worked but would timeout after a couple songs played. Not sure what was wrong and this added to the list of why I returned it.

Hopefully yours does not timeout or you can find some setting to prevent that from happening.
    I also have the latest Denon and i get cut several time using my 2012 MacBookAir i thinks is more coming from the Denon than coming from any device.
    06-22-13 07:22 PM
    No I do not think this is correct. You would need an App. I think there is an Andoid app you could try porting if you could get it.
    No you don't need an app, it's called DLNA, it works to stream to my xbox, my TV, my pc's, and my media gateway.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 09:57 PM
    I also have the latest Denon and i get cut several time using my 2012 MacBookAir i thinks is more coming from the Denon than coming from any device.
    Interesting. Might be. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and it streams fine without stopping. My iphone and iMac also stream fine without stopping, so I assumed it was Q10. You may be right though. With electronics who knows?
    06-22-13 10:02 PM
    No you don't need an app, it's called DLNA, it works to stream to my xbox, my TV, my pc's, and my media gateway.

Posted via CB10
    The Airport Express uses Apple's AirPlay standard not DLNA.
    00stryder likes this.
    06-22-13 10:35 PM
    The Airport Express uses Apple's AirPlay standard not DLNA.
    So there's no way to have it stream over the Airport Express?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 12:42 AM
    Would also really like to know this!
    06-23-13 02:28 AM
    AirPlay is not compatible with the Q10. AirPlay only works with Apple products. However there is an Android app AirSync which allows you to do this though

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 05:30 AM
    Airplay isn't compatible with the q10

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 07:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Take the Airport wifi thingy off and you can stream directly to your TV!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 07:40 AM
    Take the Airport wifi thingy off and you can stream directly to your TV!

Posted via CB10
    Only if you have what is called a "smart TV" which is makes that possible.
    06-23-13 08:15 AM
    Only if you have what is called a "smart TV" which is makes that possible.
    Well to be more precise, any TV that are DLNA compatible, which is basically every TV built in the last few years.

Apple was the only one that haven't signed on to he standard, that's why you need airplay thingy for it to work.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    The airport is a router. Airplay is a closed standard used only by Apple. If your speakers or receiver are DLNA compatible then you can. DLNA works just like Airplay allowing you to stream content to various devices on the same WiFi Network. So you can use DLNA with an Apple Airport or Airport Extreme but the devices that you want to steam music to must support DLNA. If it's just speakers and your Airport is the device that is doing the streaming you'll need a separate DLNA compatible receiver connected to the speakers before you can stream music to them from your Q10.

The nice thing about DLNA is that it is the dominant industry standard. Your TV is likely DLNA compatible, your XBOX 360 or PS3 are DLNA compatible, your Laptop (non-Mac), your Blu-Ray Player, and many home theater systems are all DLNA compatible. So you probably own a bunch of stuff already that you can stream music to from your Q10.

DLNA works just like Airplay but is supported by every Consumer Electronics company out there that isn't Apple.
    dehrlich01 likes this.
    06-23-13 10:42 AM
    The airport is a router. Airplay is a closed standard used only by Apple. If your speakers or receiver are DLNA compatible then you can. DLNA works just like Airplay allowing you to stream content to various devices on the same WiFi Network. So you can use DLNA with an Apple Airport or Airport Extreme but the devices that you want to steam music to must support DLNA. If it's just speakers and your Airport is the device that is doing the streaming you'll need a separate DLNA compatible receiver connected to the speakers before you can stream music to them from your Q10.

The nice thing about DLNA is that it is the dominant industry standard. Your TV is likely DLNA compatible, your XBOX 360 or PS3 are DLNA compatible, your Laptop (non-Mac), your Blu-Ray Player, and many home theater systems are all DLNA compatible. So you probably own a bunch of stuff already that you can stream music to from your Q10.

DLNA works just like Airplay but is supported by every Consumer Electronics company out there that isn't Apple.
    You are missing OP's issue. He wants to stream music to his stereo via is Apple device. He is not asking about acquiring a different device and hooking it up to his stereo. The problem he has is the lack of an App in Blackberry World that will enable him to do what he wants to do.
    06-23-13 11:22 AM
    Kris. Your the go to guy for everything......

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10 or my Q10
    06-23-13 11:41 AM
    No not an easy way at least...
    06-23-13 11:59 AM

Could you recommend a reciever to accomplish this? My setup is exactly like you mentioned: I have an Airport Express that has my speakers connected to them (just regular speakers). I want to be able to stream from my Q10, over Wifi, to my speakers.

Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 12:22 PM
    You are missing OP's issue. He wants to stream music to his stereo via is Apple device. He is not asking about acquiring a different device and hooking it up to his stereo. The problem he has is the lack of an App in Blackberry World that will enable him to do what he wants to do.
    Why would he need an app?

It sounds like the OP owns a speaker system that is Airplay compliant. There is a 99.9% chance that if it is airplay compliant it is also DLNA complaint. There is very few OEM's out there that limit themselves to supporting just Apple's closed standard.

DLNA is built into BlackBerry 10. No app needed. Just as a poster above mentioned just go into media sharing in settings to enable. Choose the sound system in devices. Then on the music player, select PlayOn from the overflow menu and choose the device you want to stream to.

There is no reason for an app to exist to make non-apple products compatible with Airplay as everything else under the sun that Apple doesn't make uses DLNA already. Airplay is like Sony Memory Sticks. If you have a Sony Camera you have to buy them. If you have any other camera you buy MicroSD cards because that's the dominant standard.

So unless it's an Apple TV or Time Capsule he's trying to send content to, it's probably already DLNA compliant. His Airport is just a router and as long as the devices on the network are DLNA compliant, No App Needed.
    06-23-13 12:34 PM
    Why would he need an app?

It sounds like the OP owns a speaker system that is Airplay compliant. There is a 99.9% chance that if it is airplay compliant it is also DLNA complaint. There is very few OEM's out there that limit themselves to supporting just Apple's closed standard.

DLNA is built into BlackBerry 10. No app needed. Just as a poster above mentioned just go into media sharing in settings to enable. Choose the sound system in devices. Then on the music player, select PlayOn from the overflow menu and choose the device you want to stream to.

There is no reason for an app to exist to make non-apple products compatible with Airplay as everything else under the sun that Apple doesn't make uses DLNA already. Airplay is like Sony Memory Sticks. If you have a Sony Camera you have to buy them. If you have any other camera you buy MicroSD cards because that's the dominant standard.

So unless it's an Apple TV or Time Capsule he's trying to send content to, it's probably already DLNA compliant. His Airport is just a router and as long as the devices on the network are DLNA compliant, No App Needed.
    The OP said that the speakers are plugged into an Apple Airport (Express, most likely). That's not a receiver, it's a Wi-Fi access point that has ports for USB and speakers. No DLNA support.

Options are limited. The OP can use an iTunes remote app to control a desktop/laptop that will send the output to said AirPlay connected speaker. It's a hack, but at this time it's the only solution.

There are other possible options in the Google Play store - namely a few apps that will directly stream to AirPlay devices. Currently, they're all paid apps so sideloading won't work. I recommend contacting said devs and see if they're interested in porting.
    06-23-13 01:02 PM
    Could you recommend a reciever to accomplish this? My setup is exactly like you mentioned: I have an Airport Express that has my speakers connected to them (just regular speakers). I want to be able to stream from my Q10, over Wifi, to my speakers.

Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    In that case:

BlackBerry Music Gateway | BlackBerry Stereo Headsets | CrackBerry Canada

one of these will do the trick for you
    06-23-13 01:48 PM
    In that case:

BlackBerry Music Gateway | BlackBerry Stereo Headsets | CrackBerry Canada

one of these will do the trick for you
    To the OP - this is a good recommendation. However, be aware that it's a Bluetooth solution and not WiFi. Your range will be limited. Only point this out since you originally asked for a WiFi-based solution.

If anyone knows of an affordable and good DLNA alternative to the BlackBerry Music Gateway (eg $50-60) please speak up. I've been looking for one for ages as well.

Thanks
    06-23-13 02:39 PM

Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    The beauty of DLNA is that you don't need additional equipment! If your TV is DLNA ready, your BlackBerry will connect directly to the TV!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 05:57 PM
34 12