I searched this forum for a similar thread but couldn't find one, so hopefully it's not really already been discussed.

OK, it's time for an upgrade for me (again). I have a 9900 (Bell) which is, as everyone knows, as great phone.

I know the Q10 (BB10 in general) is so different from the OS 7 (9900) but I'm wondering if anyone here has made the switch one way or the other and has any comments they could share.

I can get the Q10 for $129 on a 2 year contract (Bell gave me a couple of loyalty discounts), which is a great deal, especially here in Canada. However I don't know if it's worth moving from a similar-looking phone to one that is just latest and greatest. Yes I love BlackBerry, and want to give them my business.

Would appreciate anyone's feedback. Thanks.
    07-20-13 09:42 AM
    In comparison your browsers experience will never be the same ever again! Although the BlackBerry 9900 is a great phone and one of the top BlackBerry legacy devices out there. BUT with LTE your wireless Internet experience will be night and day difference.

Pics uploads to fb in three seconds! There's no lag or buffering! I as well moved from a bb 9900 as well! It took a better half of a day to get use to the. Flow, swype and gestures but once you nail it, the performance is def much higher!

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 09:53 AM
    Good question! I've used both and would like to share my opinion.

The Bold 99 is still my favorite BlackBerry. It looks great and has tons of little things that add up to a good overall package. But I no longer use the 99.

I moved onto the Dev Alpha C (Q10 in a unique housing) and haven't looked back. With that said, my reasons for moving to the Q10 might not apply to everyone. I have no choice but to use BlackBerry 10 on WiFi only. Unlocked BB10 smartphones will not work on my carrier (straight talk), but thankfully, there is no BIS requirement with BB10. So my WiFi only BB10 devices will do a lot more things than a WiFi only BB7 device will.

This allows me to use my Nexus 4 on straight talk and have the DAC for one phone payment. That is the only reason I use the DAC instead of my Bold. If the OS7 devices worked without BIS, I'd still be using them instead.

As far as how I use BB10, it hasn't changed at all. I use my Dev Alpha C for the same basic tasks I used all of my older BlackBerry phones for. Typing, email, instant messaging, light browsing and very, very little else. My most used BB10 app is CB10.

I use BB10 for the same things I did on BB OS4. Apps, games, web browsing, multimedia, and general entertainment is still better on my Nexus 4. The experience hasn't really improved that much in my opinion. Certain tasks take longer to accomplish on BB10 than the 99. For example reading and replying to a new email can be much slower depending on where you were in the hub and finding a particular photo in the gallery app can be a confusing, frustrating experience. So much so that I now use the file explore app to look at photos because the BB10 gallery is simply horrible. One positive of the Q10 is its battery life is much better than the 99's.

With all of that said, I am glad I have the DAC and it works on WiFi, I got it for free of course, and I do use it, but I don't think I would be satisfied with it if I had purchased it and only had it as a phone. As a companion to the Nexus 4, it rocks. On its own, I'd be missing out on too much.

Give the Q10 a try though, you might love it, and if not you always have time to return it.
    07-20-13 10:14 AM
    Laggy Comcast lag. Lol double post
    anon(870071) likes this.
    07-20-13 10:15 AM