Some months ago, my employer provided me a Q10, which was interesting, as I have a Z10 as my personal device.

After some months using both, here are my observations and preferences, having set both phones up with balance, and identically, with the exception of not having paid apps on my employer's Q.

1 work e-mail account, 3 personal e-mail accounts, LinkedIn, Foursquare are the most common hub items I use.

Generally, I like both devices. Let's get that out of the way. I would far prefer EITHER over anything else out there right this moment.

More often than not, when using the Q, having had the Z experience, i miss the larger screen real estate of the Z. It "feels" to me as though the Q tries to stuff 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag on the smaller screen. The OS "feels" like it was designed for the larger screen, and is "making do" on the smaller one of the Q. The higher vertical dimension of the Z screen makes for less up and down scrolling when in the hub compared with the Q, for example

Keyboard: At first, i was over-joyed to have the physical keyboard of the Q, as I received the Q a short time after I got myself the Z. I must say, I can still blast out text on the Q faster than on the Z, but, not so much faster anymore. I have become familiar and accustomed to the Zs keyboard, and am getting pretty fast with the Z as well. Now, that may not seem that incredible. However, I have been a QWERTY person going back to Curves, and the Z is my first touch keyboard. It took ME a full several months to teach myself how to effectively use the Z's predictions, and to train myself how and where to look for the prediction. Once I trained myself to do this, I find the Z's keyboard and predictive abilities beyond reproach. I would say on a scale of 1-10, my typing speed on the Q being self-assigned a 10, I would say my Z speed is about a 7.5 - 8 in comparison, and still improving. This from an old fart who was/is kind of set in my ways.

The Q10 screen and brightness: My Z10 and Q10 both have the screen brightness somewhere in the 30% of max range. This is no problem on my Z when outside on a sunny day. The Q however, I find myself dialing up the brightness when outside, and, even so, it just never seems to be "enough" on the Q. This may be the AMO LED, though I am no expert on these technologies. Just an observation.

Customization: It seems to me, that the ability to make the Q icons smaller, would be a big benefit. I struggled more with the Q getting everything set up the way I like it in terms of the icons, and, because of the smaller screen, I find myself swiping left and right far more on the Q than the Z. This because I can stuff more on one screen on the Z comfortably than on the Q.

Black Theme: I know this is just personal preference.....so take that for just that...... My eyes prefer the white background of the Z. I know many may feel the opposite, but I prefer white. I also know that BB is allowing the Q to have the white theme now, or soon, so that will be a non-issue.

On the Q, I miss the old keyboard shortcuts and the ability to sped dial off of the keypad. I also like the Q's ability to enable the phone, start typing something, and have the phone just start providing the suggestions as to what I want to do, search, dial etc.. Not practical/possible on the Z as easily.

Size: I still prefer the footprint of the Q, but, I am now used to the Z. At first, I thought the Q was much "handier". But, as time passed, I have gotten used to the Z's size.

Videos/Attachments: Sorry, the Zs screen wins hands-down. I find the Q screen a little too small for that sort of stuff. It works, but the Z has a huge (obvious) advantage there.

Balance: NO advantage one way or another. Both handle that like a champ. That, to me, is one of the finest features of these devices.

Battery Life: Q wins hands down. I can get two days out of my Q with the same intensity of use than my Z... My Z starts longing for its charger around 15-17 hours, while my Q still has half a tank of gas left. A definite advantage of the Q there.

I still feel the IDEAL solution would be a Z10 slider (as someone here on Crackberry posted some self-made renderings some time ago). I'd but that RIGHT NOW to get the best of BOTH worlds. I'd even pay more of a premium for that, but that's just me.

If I had to give up one of them, I would probably stick with the Z.... oddly enough. My answer would have been different two months ago. But the Z won me over. That being said, I sometimes STILL prefer the physical keyboard.......unless the Q got a little larger screen, than, this decision would become tougher for me.

Anyway, just my experiences.

As indicated, I'll take either over anything out there right now. If push came to shove, I would keep my Z over the Q now, though I find them both great devices

I said I would report back some time ago, and, well, here it is.
    09-09-13 02:18 PM
    Very useful comparison. You've made things more difficult for me....I was going to get a Q and some of the thoughts I had are in your post....

what to do? what to do???
    09-09-13 02:22 PM
    Very useful comparison. You've made things more difficult for me....I was going to get a Q and some of the thoughts I had are in your post....

what to do? what to do???
    As indicated, the Z won me over, but it is a VERY close race, to be sure.
    09-09-13 02:25 PM
    I am trading my galaxy note 2 for a BB10 device. I'm kinda torn between the two. I love the keyboard of the Q10...but love the screen size of the Z10. Suggestions please???

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-09-13 02:28 PM
    I am trading my galaxy note 2 for a BB10 device. I'm kinda torn between the two. I love the keyboard of the Q10...but love the screen size of the Z10. Suggestions please???

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CB Forums mobile app
    I guess it comes down to how important video and pics are to you. The screen size becomes paramount in that light, IMHO.

Like I said, I wouldn't let the KEYBOARD be the most important decision. If I was able to get used to the touch keyboard, anyone can. I was ( and still am a little) a die-hard QWERTY guy. But the Z10's keyboard made a believer out of ME. Took a little while and some patience on my end (not my strong suit), but I NOW feel a physical keyboard is more a "nice to have" than a "must". That's just my take.

AS said, I find the Z keyboard among the best. My better half has an employer provided iphone. She let me play with the keyboard on that thing. Didn't like it at all. Of course, the iphone kinda felt like a toy next to the Z/Q on capability and what I use a device for: buisness centric use.

As an aside, my wife HATES that iphone. Her words: "nothing is easy, and I have to close everything to do anything... what a pain--- I can't figure out how to do the simplest things on this iphone e-mail, like add an attachment". Others will disagree with her assessment. Just the messenger on that one.
    09-09-13 02:43 PM
    I was faced with this tough choice this weekend -- the Q10 looks amazing -- but the screen size is what keeps me with the Z10. Going from full screen to half screen isn't possible -- and when you have to dish out 700 bucks for a phone -- you want something you don't have to compromise for. The only thing lacking on the Z10 is the tactile keyboard -- it has everything else. Q10 i feel we have to compromise too much to feel good about it. But it's still a fantastic phone.

That being said i cannot WAIT for the Z30
    grumpyaeroguy likes this.
    09-09-13 02:44 PM
    Own both! You deserve it! Only a few hundred bucks on each. I am sure once a while you would treat yourself in some fancy restaurant. Z10 or Q10 is just like a good rib or steak but it lasts longer. You work so hard and should enjoy both BlackBerry 10 devices. I feel regretful for those that are still using Android or iPhone. Get on board on BlackBerry experience soon! You won't regret. Use BlackBerry and save time and money in the end. Maybe help you earn more due to more productivity.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 04:19 PM
    With me, I thinks it's less about how fast I can type out an email and more about how comfortable and better I feel typing on a Q. I find myself using better sentences and less frustrated then using a touch screen keyboard and autocorrect messing me up all the time.

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    fatkiid and gabbleratchet like this.
    09-09-13 04:41 PM
    Because I waited what seemed like forever for a BB10 DEVICE and bought the first one released, I now feel like I jumped the gun (figure of speech), and should have waited for the Q10. Don't get me wrong I love the Z10 and the screen space, but I already had an all touch screen device when I purchased the Z10......just feel like I could have had the best of both worlds......a touch and a physical keyboard.
    09-09-13 05:00 PM
    Because I waited what seemed like forever for a BB10 DEVICE and bought the first one released, I now feel like I jumped the gun (figure of speech), and should have waited for the Q10. Don't get me wrong I love the Z10 and the screen space, but I already had an all touch screen device when I purchased the Z10......just feel like I could have had the best of both worlds......a touch and a physical keyboard.
    Yeah it's definitely awesome lol

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-09-13 05:37 PM
    I had my Z for a month or so and then got my wife a Q which I used for the first two weeks (she didn't want to give up her 9810, and still hates the Q). I have to say the only things, I mean the ONLY things I prefer on the Q are:
    1. The feel of typing. That being said, I'm fairly certain I'm faster typing on the Z, it's just that the Q "feels" better while doing it.
    2. One-handed typing (while running through the airport) is easier on the Q.
    3. Battery life is much better on the Q.

Beyond that, I prefer the Z in every way.
    09-09-13 05:51 PM
    Do u guys think its justified that the Q is more expensive than the Z? For me if the Q was cheaper then it would be no doubt my hands down choice. But since the Q is more expensive the decision is that much tougher.
    09-09-13 07:16 PM
    Do u guys think its justified that the Q is more expensive than the Z? For me if the Q was cheaper then it would be no doubt my hands down choice. But since the Q is more expensive the decision is that much tougher.
    I never considered cost as a factor. That's definitely an interesting point you make.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 08:20 PM
    I feel exactly the same as the OP which is why I'll probably put up my Q10 on the Marketplace(here) for sale, after just over a month with it. I previously had a white z10 and I really liked it a lot, however every time I looked at my sister's 9900 I would miss it and wished I had a q10.
    What do you know, now I have the q10 and I am reconsidering.
    09-09-13 08:34 PM
    I was like you. I thought that I would get the Q10 and sell my Z10. But I have grown to love my Z and really appreciate the keyboard, screen etc. I was surprised because I was a diehard physical keyboard user. Now, I just carry my battery bundle and just enjoying my Z10.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    09-09-13 09:01 PM