Hi, I'm waiting to get my Q10 and have some app permission questions. I bought a Bold9000 to try over the summer. Before it died I discovered that while it was true that BB let you control what an app could access, it was MADDENING! I tried a flashlight app, and EVERY time I opened it, it made me go through the entire thing all over. It would say the app wanted to use contacts, GPS, etc even though I had already selected NO access. Is this common with apps? As I don't use any social media I won't allow apps to access contacts anyway, but I will sometimes need the GPS for Gasbuddy.

I actually deleted the Google maps app from my Palm Treo Pro because when I was offerred an update it deleted the original copy and said I couldn't use the new one unless I gave it full time GPS and contacts access. Is there a way on BB to turn the GPS off when I'm not using it?

It might seem overconcern, but I do NOT trust google to know where I am every moment of every day... I actually disabled the "free" traffic app on my Garmin GPS because in the fine print it said they'd market my location. As Google is MUCH more prone to that, I really don't want to let them track me.
    05-12-13 12:09 AM
    Hi, I'm waiting to get my Q10 and have some app permission questions. I bought a Bold9000 to try over the summer. Before it died I discovered that while it was true that BB let you control what an app could access, it was MADDENING! I tried a flashlight app, and EVERY time I opened it, it made me go through the entire thing all over. It would say the app wanted to use contacts, GPS, etc even though I had already selected NO access. Is this common with apps? As I don't use any social media I won't allow apps to access contacts anyway, but I will sometimes need the GPS for Gasbuddy.

I actually deleted the Google maps app from my Palm Treo Pro because when I was offerred an update it deleted the original copy and said I couldn't use the new one unless I gave it full time GPS and contacts access. Is there a way on BB to turn the GPS off when I'm not using it?

It might seem overconcern, but I do NOT trust google to know where I am every moment of every day... I actually disabled the "free" traffic app on my Garmin GPS because in the fine print it said they'd market my location. As Google is MUCH more prone to that, I really don't want to let them track me.
    Most apps allow you to disable GPS when not in use... and well, there is essentially no background processes allowed at this point for the majority of apps so unless you have the app open and running in an active frame, it's NOT using GPS.
    05-12-13 12:42 AM
    There is good news and bad news, first the bad. Ported Android apps use the Android security model. You must grant all the permission the application asks for or it won't run.

The good news is on BB10 (just like previous BlackBerry OSs) you can turn location services off. This atop all location data for all apps.

The maddening behaviour you saw on your 9000 was because most developers did not implement permissions properly, they were supposed to remember your first selection and either refuse to run or deal with the limitations. Either BlackBerry is now handling that issue in the OS, what I believe, or developers are handling it better. I haven't seen any apps that are frustrating in that particular way.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 08:54 AM