is the Q10 goin to add the shortcuts from the home screen?

i really love the ability to hit M to go to messages U to go to calculator B to browser N for BBM ? can we start a petition to bring these shortcuts back... I personally have had a blackberry since 2003 since the 7290 and i now use a Bold 9900 and i have never liked to use Universal Search.. when im driving or walking i can just hit M wout even looking at my phone and go right to my messages and check all my messages.. or nit N and go righ tto my BBM
    04-25-13 12:04 PM

is the Q10 goin to add the shortcuts from the home screen?

i really love the ability to hit M to go to messages U to go to calculator B to browser N for BBM ? can we start a petition to bring these shortcuts back... I personally have had a blackberry since 2003 since the 7290 and i now use a Bold 9900 and i have never liked to use Universal Search.. when im driving or walking i can just hit M wout even looking at my phone and go right to my messages and check all my messages.. or nit N and go righ tto my BBM
    Yes, shortcuts are coming to the Q-10 (though speed-dial shortcuts are in doubt).

See this for details.
    04-25-13 12:07 PM
    ohh thanks god we have any proof of the homescreen shortcuts and if they will be the same or customizable?
    as far as the speed diial i end up gettin in trouble with speed dial and rarely ever use it. i just go into phone and start typing person name is fast enough for me.. too many times i accidentally pulled my 9900 out of my pocket and pressed hard on a key by mistake and called someone i didnt want too..
    04-25-13 12:15 PM
    The shortcuts aren't going to be "homescreen" shortcuts, but in-app shortcuts, which is actually going to make me hold-off getting a Q10, I dont want the stupid search feature and it is going to slow down my use.
    04-26-13 09:15 AM
    Speed dial shortcuts are in the Q10, according to the crackberry review.
    04-26-13 09:21 AM
    Yup I want these same short cuts enabled. I'm going to go suggest this in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. This is a must and one of my favourite features from my 9900 and I see no reason not to have it enabled on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 10:56 AM
    Yup I want these same short cuts enabled. I'm going to go suggest this in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. This is a must and one of my favourite features from my 9900 and I see no reason not to have it enabled on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Can we please get a reply from someone who's beta testing 10.1 on a Q10 or DEV C device because we keep getting diff answers some say No Homescreen short cuts for Apps and some say YES.. Which one is it ?
    04-26-13 01:54 PM
    No home screen short cuts to launch m for messages, d for notes, etc.

You can type "call joe" or "sms peter" from home screen and it will carry out the task for you, but it's not the same as the one touch application launch, what we are used to with our other BlackBerries.
    05-02-13 02:49 AM
    If it is true that the home screen shortcuts from BBOS aren't there than that is a real disappointment for me at least as that is one of the things I used heavily on my old devices (having instant access to core apps just made the phone more efficient at getting things done). At least there are still some shortcuts in the apps which may be better than nothing but not as good as it could be. (Another situation where the old phones still have some advantages over the new).

Personally not sold on the 'Instant Action' stuff either. I haven't tried it but from what I've read in reviews, the old way would still be faster with less clicks to do the same action. It seems to me more like a different attempt at voice control with a keyboard (as the command structure seems to be similar). Maybe BB doesn't have advanced enough voice recognition software to do it through voice commands... or maybe they just didn't want to deal with those that are frustrated when voice commands don't do what the user wanted them to do (as with Siri or on Android) and the keyboard ensures no room for error. Still doesn't seem as efficient or short as it could be though.

Since it doesn't seem like I am getting the Q10 until the summer now, hopefully more of the old functionality will reappear. And if I'm lucky the price will have come down a bit more by then as well!
    05-02-13 05:53 AM
    Yes, the quick recall of the applications from home screen shortcuts is gone. So is the quick press and hold speed dials. The legendary q for vibrate mode is also eliminated.

Other missing shortcut is the u for unread messages, as well as the ability to keep pressing del to remove messages from a list. When viewing calendar items, space bar doesn't scroll down the page.

Have played with the Q10 for 8 hours now, still on the fence whether to keep or go back to the 9900 for now. So far, for what I use the BB primarily for (dealing with emails/whatsapp/text/scheduling appointments, changing profiles), the 9900 is much faster and easier. You press the hangup key and bang, you have the home screen.

The Q10 is obviously prettier and can handle apps, media (9900 is a complete joke in this area), just not sure how long the getting used to will take, as I am a very heavy keyboard shortcut user.
    05-02-13 06:17 AM
    You also have voice command to compose and send messages In any format.
    05-02-13 06:33 AM
    I still find it a bit of disappointment that there are 80 million die hard blackberry fans who use their phones with a passion. Get marketed into using blackberries "new and improved phones" that are missing half the features that made them so addiction in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 06:53 AM
    I still find it a bit of disappointment that there are 80 million die hard blackberry fans who use their phones with a passion. Get marketed into using blackberries "new and improved phones" that are missing half the features that made them so addiction in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.

I'm probably going to return my Q10, one of the main reasons being a lack of speed dial besides the four quick-dial options available from within the phone app (speaking of which, why is a phone an app that has to be launched? The hub is baked in, the phone isn't?) as well as other features that tend to impede my workflow rather than assist it. Don't get me wrong, I love the new platform, but I think the OS is miles away from catering to the hyper-connected people who want to get things done that Heins has been talking so much about. Maybe they feel they've taken the right steps to lure back defectors who have moved to other platforms, but the TRUE BlackBerry users, the people who know how to use their 9900 (for example) for speed, efficiency, and communication, will never get anywhere near the same experience with the new OS.

Also not impressed with the build quality of the phone or the screen. A squeaky keyboard with misprinted letters and a screen that is yellow on center and blue on the side are NOT what I expect for the price I paid, or at this stage in the game, especially after having a Z10 (which has a gorgeous screen and was much nicer to hold, in comparison).

So to summarize: there is currently NO quick-dial speed dial on the Q10 (e.g. hold the letter H to call "Home" from the homescreen).
    dllrogers55 likes this.
    05-02-13 04:56 PM
    So to summarize: there is currently NO quick-dial speed dial on the Q10 (e.g. hold the letter H to call "Home" from the homescreen).
    Per Kevin's review, "The physical keyboard also now allows users to set keys for speed dial, as on legacy BlackBerry devices. This isn�t enabled by default however; users need to flip it on through the Phone settings, but after that, you can make it so that long-pressing a key initiates a call to a designated contact."
    05-02-13 06:36 PM
    Even with it activated, it only works from within the phone application, when on the dial pad screen.

Certainly not anytime, anywhere like in the old days.

I have mine turned on, which took many steps which I don't mind, but the execution is limited even after the programming is done.
    Last edited by observer; 05-02-13 at 06:54 PM.
    05-02-13 06:43 PM
    As a future Q10user and a past user of 13 full qwerty BlackBerrys, reading this forum makes me sad.

Those shortcuts are so useful and part of the BlackBerry experience, if you ask me. It's one of the great things about BlackBerry that other platforms don't have. I seriously hope they bring these back by the time the Q10 launches in the United States, just like the bad battery life was fixed on the Z10 before the launch here.
    sam_tek likes this.
    05-02-13 08:07 PM
    Honestly you'll love the phone, there's more to like about the new OS then to dislike. Ya I'm upset too that whatever is coming by 10.5 should've been the 10.0 at launch. But I'm pretty sure everyone that works for blackberry is missing the true action keys as well.

I'm waiting for my green LED on Z10 , and I won't stop saying it. I need this

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:24 PM
    BBOS shortcuts great!

*UNIVERSAL SEARCH good too!
    05-02-13 08:45 PM
    I understand what some people are saying about missing the shortcuts etc, but in the grand scheme of things, finding a new way to do something is pretty easy, and well worth the benefits gained from the new OS
    Home screen, technically there isn't one now anyway, and swiping up will take you to what replaces it.
    Once you get used to the hub, filtering messages, marking them, filing them etc all becomes second nature and very quick indeed.

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but you really have to get comfortable with the OS before it all makes sense.

I'm a die hard BlackBerry user myself, and personally, now I'm used to BB10, I love it.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 04:54 AM

I'm waiting for my green LED on Z10 , and I won't stop saying it. I need this

Posted via CB10
    Green LED, like BeBuzz?
    I have it on my Z but not the Q yet. Annoying it has to remain open though.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 04:56 AM
    Green LED, like BeBuzz?
    I have it on my Z but not the Q yet. Annoying it has to remain open though.

Posted via CB10
    NO! Green coverage indicator LED!

*Bring back the flashing green LED
    Bdot-1 likes this.
    05-03-13 05:49 AM
    NO! Green coverage indicator LED!

*Bring back the flashing green LED
    Exactly.. the apps tell you after you loose service. There's no coverage indicator from any 3rd party app. My whole office uses that feature because almost all office towers are bad coverage and drains battery quickly. That LED tells us the phone is on and in service

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 07:34 AM
    BeBuzz for BB10 has this service, but sadly its not quite launched for the Q yet. Doh!

Hopefully it's not long until it is, as I love the custom LED's for all their uses.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 07:52 AM
    NO! blackberry USER want rimBLACKBERRY native application and not have to give every jurk app developer full permissions on phone just to get blinking light to work!
    05-03-13 11:17 AM
    NO! blackberry USER want rimBLACKBERRY native application and not have to give every jurk app developer full permissions on phone just to get blinking light to work!
    Errm, yes as a BlackBerry user I would love that too. But BeBuzz has been a great app, so I have no issue with parting with money for their app.

Besides, It doesn't need lots of permissions.

I'm sure the right solution will come for us both. But the speed BlackBerry work at, I reckon I will have mine first haha.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 04:41 PM
35 12