Something has been annoying me lately. After swiping my finder on the screen, I will usually see my fingerprint or marks with a pinkish-greenish glare and marks on the screen, especially when the background is white. This includes the Crackberry app when typing a message where the background is white. Almost looks like part of a rainbow.

Now, I usually watch my hands, and I know there are certain oils, dirt, etc. that end up on your fingers which could be causing this. Anybody else experiencing this and is there any solution? Maybe a screen protector? Something to spray on the touchscreen? Perhaps this is the result of having an AMOLE screen instead of LED.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 11:31 AM
    If you're seeing color variation in the marks it is almost certainly due to optical interference caused by thickness variation in a very thin layer of contamination. You can often see a similar effect with fingermarks on any surface treated or coated lens (camera or glasses) and you might remember "Newton's Rings" from science classes in school for an explanation of the physics behind it.
    07-13-13 11:54 AM
    Well, I just went into a Verizon store to do a comparison. The screen on the store phone was a little tougher, meaning my finger did not slide as smoothly. Suffice it to say, the store phone did not leave as many fingerprints and I did not see any of the multi-colored glare on the store phone.

I suspect this may be a manufacturing defect.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 12:20 PM
    This is a strange one. Now I'm not seeing anything when I swipe. But the screen in the store definitely felt different. Perhaps a matter of physics as you say, but maybe the screen in the store was of better quality and these phones are manufactured with different ones. Verizon told me the phones come from 4 different warehouses here in the NYC metro area.

I also noticed that the Blackberry logo at the top of the phone looked slightly different in the store. The seven dots were smaller which tells me these phones were manufactured differently somehow.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 12:51 PM
    OK, solution is simple. Clean the screen. Using display cleaner with microfiber cloth is what you need. I hadn't cleaned it since I got the phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 04:05 PM
    Ok, 5 minutes after cleaning it I am seeing it again.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 05:59 PM
    So is this Newton's Ring effect normal?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 06:32 PM