Hello everyone,

I would like to choose the phone most suitable for me from the Q10 and the 9790.

I use my phone for connectivity and email, not for apps (except the basics). I love the trackpad on my 9700, actually my 9700 is perfect, but too weak to be reliable.

I am concerned with too much "touch" in the Q10 and would like to avoid it, but the OS is much newer along with the hardware, so I'm not sure what to choose.

The 9790 looks very good, isn't it too old by now?

Thank you,
    Tom

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    08-19-13 04:33 PM
    Depends on how 'invested' you are in BlackBerry shortcut keys and such. The Q10 is miles above the 9790 but it's not for everyone and some hardcore BBOS users despise what they lose when they go to BlackBerry 10. Ultimately, no one here can tell YOU what YOU'LL prefer, that's on you and most people are gonna tell you to go with the Q10. I suggest trying one out for yourself and seeing if you like it, that's why return policies exist.
    08-19-13 04:46 PM
    but it's not for everyone and some hardcore BBOS users despise what they lose when they go to BlackBerry 10.
    Thank you, your sentence I quoted above is very important. What did the BBOS users lose with the Q10?

Unfortunately I can't test the phones, a friend of mine is in NYC and can buy it for me, while I'm thousands of kilometers Eastwards (-:

08-19-13 04:55 PM
    I too had the 9700 as my previous phone. And for the same reason I had to put it down. And for THAT same reason I went to the Q.
    I bought the 9700 back in 2009 and just got the Q in May. So, I'm not one to keep changing devices. Yes, there's not a track pad. It took me a week or so to stop trying to move and tap it. And yes the apps of BBOS aren't there yet. But with the work arounds that you can find in these forums you won't miss a beat.
    Lastly the OS... there are improvements coming out every week it seems. Optimization of this and that. So I really cannot foresee anytime soon that the Q would see a time that it would be not strong enough to handle something.

SQN 100-1/10.2.0.1047/.810
    08-19-13 05:24 PM
    I've had both. Used to have the 9790 and now have the Q10. I wish that I never switched.

The 9790 had the hardware of the 9900, with better battery life, touch screen, and auto focus camera, and was more compact.

I was faster with the 9790, by a large margin.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 07:15 PM
    And Q10 has no hourglass issue. Lol

Channel : C000FA856 | Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047
    08-19-13 07:36 PM
    I've had those 3 Blackberry's

upgraded from 9700 to 9790 on to Q10

9790 - safe choice
    Q10 - Modern Blackberry

There's already tons of thread about the positives and negatives.
    08-19-13 09:31 PM
    Q10 for battery life

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:33 PM
  9. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    I have abandoned the Q10, and gone back to the 9900, do not care for active screen for a work business device, for pictures, Internet searches, attachments, maps I use an old I4S,,
    Does anybody know when the new 9700's are coming out???
    Does anybody know the number?? Is it 9700, 9720, 9790, whatever it is if it does not have an active screen and has QWERTY, a tracking cursor roll, end and answer keys, and a side button, I will buy 4 of them,,, the lack of vision from Blackberry and their self destructive attitude, compounded by their lack of respect and arrogance towards their consumers has brought them, to the brink of extinction.
    I cannot type a business email on an I Phone, nor the Z10, I despise the active screens,,
    can anybody help?!
    Thanks,
    luis revuelta
    08-20-13 07:59 AM
    Depends on how 'invested' you are in BlackBerry shortcut keys and such. The Q10 is miles above the 9790 but it's not for everyone and some hardcore BBOS users despise what they lose when they go to BlackBerry 10. Ultimately, no one here can tell YOU what YOU'LL prefer, that's on you and most people are gonna tell you to go with the Q10. I suggest trying one out for yourself and seeing if you like it, that's why return policies exist.
    What Bla1ze said. The Q10 has a stellar battery life as well.
    08-20-13 08:25 AM
    What? Is there a newer version to the 9790 planned, or just moving forward with the OS10?

AKB13 likes this.
    08-20-13 04:27 PM
    What? Is there a newer version to the 9790 planned, or just moving forward with the OS10?

There's a new BBOS7 9720 going to be release, not sure which country yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 05:59 PM
  13. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    Say all you want, and try all you want, in the end the Q10 is proving to be an experimental failure, and proof that when companies like RIM, attempt to use their client base as a beta testing free Research & Development program, eventually leads to major financial losses and what now seems an unavoidable disaster.
    Add insult to injury, when we the consumer have to fund it,,is unacceptable , and hence our frustration. I am back to the 9900, and hoping against hope, whoever buys BB, goes back to the no-nonsense basics that once made BB, the number 1 communication device in the world.
    To conclude the Q10 product was : Re- invented, Re-Designed, Re- Engineered only to Re-Gress, Re-Ignite and Re-Volutionize, the anger of their loyal customer base.
    Luis Revuelta
    08-21-13 07:26 AM
    There's a new BBOS7 9720 going to be release, not sure which country yet.

Posted via CB10
    I looked into it, the 9720 actually looks like a downgrade from the 9790, more like a kids' device with the bbm button and radio. The processor is weaker.

08-21-13 05:01 PM
    The legacy devices are cool in a way, but the Q and the Z are the future of the OS. BlackBerry 7 is miserable by comparison (especially for browsing). I say Q.

Posted via CB10
    raremage likes this.
    08-21-13 07:08 PM
    Well, BBOS has a terrible browser but you can handle some basic functions way faster there. On the other hand the Q10 has the power in it and the browser is blazzing fast, perhaps the fastest browser on the current smartphones market, the keyboard has a better feel than the curve-like keyboards and the keys are bigger.

Trackpad BlackBerrys also let you copy and paste stuff easier. It's a matter of personal choice.
    08-21-13 08:16 PM
    I think it also depends on what type mail you use and how you plan to connect to that. I went for a Q10 because Active Sync exchange mail access was best for me. It might be different for you.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:36 PM
    I have to disagree with the Q10 being a failure, I had the 9930 before this and I love the Q10, you give up some of the old features with it but I believe you gain a whole lot more then you lose.

Sent from HTC One and/or BlackBerry Q10
    raremage likes this.
    08-21-13 10:15 PM
    I have abandoned the Q10, and gone back to the 9900, do not care for active screen for a work business device, for pictures, Internet searches, attachments, maps I use an old I4S,,
    Does anybody know the number?? Is it 9700, 9720, 9790, whatever it is if it does not have an active screen and has QWERTY, a tracking cursor roll, end and answer keys, and a side button, I will buy 4 of them,,, the lack of vision from Blackberry and their self destructive attitude, compounded by their lack of respect and arrogance towards their consumers has brought them, to the brink of extinction.
    I cannot type a business email on an I Phone, nor the Z10, I despise the active screens,,
    can anybody help?!
    Thanks,
    luis revuelta
    This is why they are still supporting BBOS and making new devices. No reason to move away from BBOS if it is the best product for you.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 10:25 PM
    I would go with the Q10 because of the multitasking power and the incredibly long battery life.

The main focus of the device is still productivity and connectivity, but if you want to use it to browse the web, take amazing photos, or basically do anything a modern smartphone can do, it has the specs to do that, and still have enough battery juice to keep you productive.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10
    raremage likes this.
    08-21-13 11:15 PM
    I would suggest the Q10. The keyboard is wonderful based on feedback from our users (I use a Z10) and you are getting a better camera and a faster phone. One day of playing around will get you used to the new gestures and you won't miss the old BB buttons. Plus with 4G/LTE on board it makes the Q10 the better purchase.
    raremage likes this.
    08-22-13 01:43 AM
  22. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    The legacy devices are cool in a way, but the Q and the Z are the future of the OS. BlackBerry 7 is miserable by comparison (especially for browsing). I say Q.

Posted via CB10
    For browsing the Z10 or I Phone, but for those who have to conduct serious business , 9900 or down is way better than the Q10
    08-22-13 07:48 AM
    Q- all the way

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 08:48 AM
  24. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    When I see comments like " our users", i cannot help but think that BB , rather than invest time and money, in designing a device that makes sense for the client base that needs their no - non sense keyboard product, and opening a consumer satisfaction clear and honest line of communication, instead they are paying individuals to pose as " contributors", " "moderators", to justify the shortcomings and failures of their latest decisions and devices.
    I will continue to use the 9900, until it desintegrates, BBRIM- LESS, goes bankrupt, or they get bought out by a sensible company.
    PS. Take the darn active screen off,, a device with a keyboard and cursor track pad,,, it is a case of split personality,,,, for a social, gaming device already samsung, apple, nokia, sony and hopefully the Z10 are there, to play,, but for those who need to comunicate , properly, efficiently and intelligently, to make a living, just give us the no- non sense functions....please.++++++++
    08-24-13 07:20 AM
  25. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    I have not, abandoned BB OS,, that is why I am using the 9900, and hoping they do not go out of business, it is their lack of marketing wisdom, which is why they are in the financial situation of sell or disintegrate, that frustates a lot of people like me.
    08-24-13 07:25 AM
32 12