I read this quite a lot that sideloading apps is killing the battery. On my Q10, I have about 15 sideloaded android apps and the battery is worsening since I installed them. Is there really a connection? It seems that way :-/ Or is it just a coincident?

Could it even be possible, that these apps run in the background without noticing?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 01:09 PM
    I have about 7 sideloaded apps, and I get about 9 hours with heavy communication, game and GPS use. In addition to streaming a little music. I felt like there was a correlation when I had my Z10, but with my Q10, I dont seem to have the same issue. I'd say coincidence, but it's all user dependent on what applications are installed. What do you have side loaded? And just in case you haven't seen, the infamous, Ebay application (in App World) drains a lot of battery.
    06-11-13 01:12 PM
    I have sideloaded a few banking and travel apps plus flipboard. I also have skype installed, but I always turn it off after using... The first two weeks I was really impressed with the battery life, I it was almost impossible to push it below 50%. Now i am having between 10 - 20% left before recharging in the evening.

I must add that I used the charging set of my torch 9800 and then switched to the charger delivered with the q10. Rumour had it that only the q10 charger could properly charge the battery.
    06-11-13 01:33 PM
    Android apps aren't efficient on an Android phone so it stands to reason they won't be efficient on a BlackBerry.
    06-11-13 01:41 PM
    I understand this, so this means and android app needs more power on BB10 (not surprising) - but is this such a dramatic drain? And - more important - do some of these apps run in the background?!? On the OS7 I simply pushed the BlackBerry button to see what app is running in the background, on BB10 I should see it instantly on my homescreen...

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 01:58 PM
    Right now BB10 has no support for headless apps. Not sure how the would effect sideloaded apps though... With that being said, the worry is less of the app running in the background, then some service the app launches not being properly closed by the OS and it still running in the background or using something that causes battery drain (accessing any of the radios, or databases running the processor).

I think battery guru can help show you current load, this is where I would start (sorry if the app name is incorrect, still don't have a BB10 device yet).
    06-11-13 05:37 PM
    Ok. So i should delete the app, make a battery pull and restart my q10 and everything should be ok then, right?
    Last edited by Thomas_Stiftinger; 06-12-13 at 12:51 AM.
    06-12-13 12:27 AM
    By the way: my q10 is running on 10.1.0.2309
    06-12-13 12:32 AM
    When sideload especially upgrading, I found out it appears it doesn't close out the processes and simply overwrites. When you launch, a new instance starts.

I always reboot after sideload and it has been working well and notice my battery no longer affected by it.

Uninstall, reboot, install. This is just for droid stuff.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    06-12-13 12:34 AM