Hey folks

I've had my Q10 for about four months. About a week ago, I suddenly stopped receiving text or email messages and worked out that I had to do a hard reset to get them. On top of that, any phone calls (made, missed or received) were no longer being stored in history.

I've done some reading and found there are others with the same issue, but can find little info on what the problem is and how to fix it.

Blackberry support suggests I do a hard reset whenever I want to get my messages...every time. Myself, and my business, have remained loyal to Blackberry since day one but if I am not alone in my problem and this is the only solution they have to offer, Blackberry have just about ended my patience.

The fundamental strength of a Blackberry is its ruthless efficiency when it comes to communicating. So what does this say about my problem?

May I ask you in the community here whether you have experienced this first hand or otherwise and whether there is an immediate solution?

Please excuse my tense message, I'm just a really annoyed right now as I've missing a number of messages that were really important, and not just to me.

Thank you everyone.

Dan
    10-14-13 10:01 AM
    Have you checked your notification settings??? You might have everything on silent.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:09 AM
    Are you dealing with BlackBerry Support or your carrier? I would replace the device, or wait and see if 10.2 helps when it comes out in a few weeks.

You are on 10.1 now, right?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 09:19 PM
    10.1 correct. Yet to approach my carrier in case it was a known issue.

@Dave, I should clarify that it's not just notifications, I'm not actually receiving the text messages or emails. Nothing shows up in the hub nor in the actual message folders. If I send a text or email it works, but there's nothing to show that it did or what I sent, be it in the hub or folders. I can ring people etc but only some calls show up in call history. Some people call, it rings etc but nothing shows on my phone, i.e. I wouldn't know I just got a call. Other times, I see the call come through, but nothing is retained in history.
    10-15-13 05:50 AM
    10.1 correct. Yet to approach my carrier in case it was a known issue.

@Dave, I should clarify that it's not just notifications, I'm not actually receiving the text messages or emails. Nothing shows up in the hub nor in the actual message folders. If I send a text or email it works, but there's nothing to show that it did or what I sent, be it in the hub or folders. I can ring people etc but only some calls show up in call history. Some people call, it rings etc but nothing shows on my phone, i.e. I wouldn't know I just got a call. Other times, I see the call come through, but nothing is retained in history.
    Have you done a carrier update or installed any new apps around the time this issue started?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 05:55 AM
    That's a good question. No carrier updates. I did update my BB Link software. My PC had for some time, ceased recognising my phone as a storage drive when I plugged it in, so I changed a setting on the phone and updated BBL which fixed it. No apps to speak of.

EDIT: current version is Software Release 10.1.0.314 on a 4791 with Telstra.
    10-15-13 07:49 AM
    That software release is rather outdated, have you double-checked whether your carrier rolled out an update yet? Basicly there have been about two official updates for the Q10 as of now, one which got it up to .2xxx (1xxx) and of course the MR which bumbed the software to .4xxx.
    You should also check this on your phone while connected to wifi: Settings - Software Updates.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-15-13 11:09 AM
    That's a good question. No carrier updates. I did update my BB Link software. My PC had for some time, ceased recognising my phone as a storage drive when I plugged it in, so I changed a setting on the phone and updated BBL which fixed it. No apps to speak of.

EDIT: current version is Software Release 10.1.0.314 on a 4791 with Telstra.
    Ok. Going off of info provided so far. I have to think it may be due to the settings you changed on your phone. Updating bbl would not affect your phone. So first what settings did you change?

Just thinking here. Second your computer not seeing your phone could be the base of this issue.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 03:46 AM
    Ok. Going off of info provided so far. I have to think it may be due to the settings you changed on your phone. Updating bbl would not affect your phone. So first what settings did you change?

Just thinking here. Second your computer not seeing your phone could be the base of this issue.

Posted via CB10
    No settings were changed. It's too patchy a problem to be a change in settings anyway. Sometimes I get a message, but most times I don't. New problems keep popping up as well. Tonight I noticed that a transport app I have reset, wiping my saved trips.

So, this isn't a problem you've seen? I did a little research before posting here and found some references to what I think is the same problem, and the general response was that this is a known issue that BB will address. But that didn't sound right when you consider that this is actually a major issue.

Plus, it's a difficult problem to describe and therefore research as it's hard to say whether it's a notification issue or I'm actually not receiving things. Every reset I do restores all of the history, missed text messages and emails in exactly the place they would have been if I'd received them.
    10-16-13 04:48 AM
    few suggestion, basic stuff..
    1. remove battery, restart.
    2. connect to BB Link, see if any update
    3. remove simcard, put it back in, and let the phone search for network. if it's connected to network, and data is on, we can isolate the problem (it's something with data plan or the phone)
    4. get to customer service at carrier
    5. if nothing works, then it's probably time for Z30
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    10-16-13 04:53 AM
    @Taigatrommel - thanks for the tip. I thought I was on a current o/s so better check.

Sportline, haven't tried 2-5. Will give it a shot
    10-16-13 05:07 AM
    few suggestion, basic stuff..
    1. remove battery, restart.
    2. connect to BB Link, see if any update
    3. remove simcard, put it back in, and let the phone search for network. if it's connected to network, and data is on, we can isolate the problem (it's something with data plan or the phone)
    4. get to customer service at carrier
    5. if nothing works, then it's probably time for Z30
    +1 id do what he said
    10-16-13 05:14 AM
    Ahh, looks like my current o/s is the latest for Telstra. They are about to release 10.2 and skip 10.1 altogether (they were due to release it Monday but must be delayed). Will see if that addresses the issue. If not, new phone.
    10-16-13 05:28 AM
    You could also try to install a leak, however with your problem I wouldn't want to risk it, since it might void any warrenty. Have you tried removing the SIM-card or use a different one and see if mails (messages) come through?

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-16-13 07:31 AM
    @Sportline, the sim approach seems to have fixed the problem for now. It's been two hours and my BB hasn't reverted back to the problem (it usually does within 30 minutes after a standard battery pull).

If it comes back, I'll let you know. Either way, thank you, and thanks to everyone else who took the time to respond. It was starting to stress me out
    10-16-13 07:41 AM
    @Sportline, the sim approach seems to have fixed the problem for now. It's been two hours and my BB hasn't reverted back to the problem (it usually does within 30 minutes after a standard battery pull).

If it comes back, I'll let you know. Either way, thank you, and thanks to everyone else who took the time to respond. It was starting to stress me out
    happy days mate. it could be bad/loose contact with simcard. from time to time it's also good to replace sim cards, especially when you move around different phones (scratches etc).
    in the past my carrier always advise to remove/insert sim card whenever i change data plan/phone OS to make sure it starts up clean during activation.
    10-16-13 11:03 PM
    Oohh nooo! It's happening again.
    10-17-13 02:52 AM