Whenever I try to goto m.yelp.com, the browser keeps forcing me to the desktop version of Yelp. How to fix this? So annoying..
    07-02-13 02:34 PM
    can't be fixed... browser detection is completely wrong for the Yelp site and it has been like this forever... really annoying.
    citizenbishop likes this.
    07-02-13 04:04 PM
    I have the same problem with almost every website I use here in Denmark. Will this be fixed with 10.2?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 01:03 AM
    It's Yelp that is serving up the wrong pages (desktop version) If you use Evolution browser and change the user agent to Iphone, it will work fine.

So it appears to me to be Yelp's problem to fix. If you want a workaround, download Evolution browser.

Someone with 10.2 can comment on whether the browser allows you to change the user agent string.

Bob

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 04:51 AM
    I'm running the 10.2.0.1743 leak and there isn't an agent user changer built in this leak yet, but of course that don't necessarily mean it isn't in development for the official release.

Either way, the best way to correct the issue is to use the contact link on any web page that does not auto-detect your BlackBerry 10 browser as a mobile phone browser and send you to their desktop version.

In this particular case go to Contact Us | Yelp and get to the place where you can type in a feedback comment. Then type something along the lines of "your website is forcing my BlackBerry 10 mobile phone BlackBerry 10 browser to go to your desktop site instead of your mobile site. Please correct this. Thanks."
    10-05-13 05:38 AM
    I thought yelp got an app for it.
    10-05-13 06:48 AM
    Major goof by BBY. Guess they forgot to check w the development community before going ahead with their product. Ooops.

Yelp doesn't work of BB10 platform, even if you sideload it. BB10 requires Google Maps. Blackberry uses crummy Blackberry Maps. Anyway, YELP will only work with Google Maps, so no go w Yelp on BB10 devices...there goes one of the most useful apps out there.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 08:30 AM
    Yelp actually does work on BB10 if you sideload it with a debug token. That's what I did and it works on my Q10.

The whole debug token process is kind of scary at first, but once you do it it's really easy to get so many more apps on your BB10 phone. There's a guide on Crackberry I used to do this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...erry10-817781/

If you can do that - then you can get Yelp on your phone! I also got Waze and other programs to now work with the debug token. Hope it works for you!
    PS - I'm on 10.2.0.1767 right now on my phone.
    tempered likes this.
    10-05-13 09:32 AM
    Yelp actually does work on BB10 if you sideload it with a debug token. That's what I did and it works on my Q10.

The whole debug token process is kind of scary at first, but once you do it it's really easy to get so many more apps on your BB10 phone. There's a guide on Crackberry I used to do this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...erry10-817781/

If you can do that - then you can get Yelp on your phone! I also got Waze and other programs to now work with the debug token. Hope it works for you!
    PS - I'm on 10.2.0.1767 right now on my phone.
    I I loaded it using SideSwype. SideSwype developer says it won't work w BB10, even though it's loaded.
    10-05-13 09:55 AM
    Nope. Couldn't get Yelp 4.4.1 to run here.
    10-05-13 11:24 AM
    Nope. Couldn't get Yelp 4.4.1 to run here.
    That's weird. It totally worked for me on my first try. Did you do the debug token guide from the link I posted above? You create that debugtoken.bar file in the instructions and then sideload that t your phone. I sideloaded the debugtoken.bar file using the Google Chrome Play Book installer extension. Then you do the thing where you take an apk file (just download the apk from google play store to get newest version) and drop the apk file onto the ConvertAndroidApp.bat file and it converts and installs it automatically. It actually installed the app on my phone through my wireless network which was a complete surprise to me. I thought I'd have to plug the phone into my computer.

Hope you don't give up - It really does work!
    10-05-13 12:38 PM
    Major goof by BBY. Guess they forgot to check w the development community before going ahead with their product. Ooops.
    Are you serious? This has nothing to do with BlackBerry, it's a Yelp problem!

Are you so hell bent on badmouthing BlackBerry that you'll ignore the clear facts? Sheesh...

Posted via CB10
    rjpawlak, tempered and Danny Ocean like this.
    10-05-13 12:38 PM
    That's weird. It totally worked for me on my first try. Did you do the debug token guide from the link I posted above?
    Yes. Debug token installed. What version Yelp APK did you convert?
    10-05-13 02:47 PM
    I am told that it might be conceivable to get Yelp to work if you use the right version of Yelp that matches up with the right Yelp token or something like that. A degree in computer science doesn't hurt. Doesn't BBY know that the whole point of it is to make these things easy to do/use, so that you have large market appeal?
    10-05-13 02:55 PM
    Are you still complaining about BlackBerry? Seriously, go away! This is a Yelp issue so please stop your unwavering hatred toward BlackBerry. No one here cares about your personal war against BlackBerry, please!

Posted via CB10
    tempered likes this.
    10-05-13 04:05 PM
    If it's a Yelp issue, why does it work for every other mobile platform? The unwillingness to blame BlackBerry for anything around here is laughable.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 04:23 PM
    Hey, so I actually downloaded the newest version of yelp directly from Google Play store (it doesn't tell me what version it is, but it's from 10/4/13 so it should be newest).

Here's what I did:
    Go to this website:
    Paul's Blog - � APK Downloader
    It's really cool, what you do is go to Google Play store and find the program you want. Then just copy and paste the URL into the box in website and it will download the APK automatically to your computer.
    Here's the Yelp link I used to get the APK:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
    So copy and paste the Yelp link into the box in the above webpage and you'll get the APK I installed on my Q10.

Hope that helps.
    adamlau likes this.
    10-05-13 04:50 PM
    If it's a Yelp issue, why does it work for every other mobile platform? The unwillingness to blame BlackBerry for anything around here is laughable.

Posted via CB10
    Read the thread. Reading is fundamental.

can't be fixed... browser detection is completely wrong for the Yelp site and it has been like this forever... really annoying.
    It's Yelp that is serving up the wrong pages (desktop version) If you use Evolution browser and change the user agent to Iphone, it will work fine.

So it appears to me to be Yelp's problem to fix. If you want a workaround, download Evolution browser.

Posted via CB10
    tempered likes this.
    10-05-13 05:35 PM
    What you quoted proves nothing.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 06:24 PM
    Hey, so I was using the sideloaded Yelp app a little more on my Q10 - there is one thing that does not work perfectly. When searching a type of restaurant (like tacos) and if you want to pull up a map to see all taco restaurants together in one view it will not work because it says it needs google play. However if you pull up a specific restaurant and ask for directions to it, it will be able to use whatever map program is on your phone. So, I guess the Yelp app works probably about 90% correctly when sideloaded, but not perfectly.
    10-05-13 06:42 PM
    Hey, so I was using the sideloaded Yelp app a little more on my Q10 - there is one thing that does not work perfectly. When searching a type of restaurant (like tacos) and if you want to pull up a map to see all taco restaurants together in one view it will not work because it says it needs google play. However if you pull up a specific restaurant and ask for directions to it, it will be able to use whatever map program is on your phone. So, I guess the Yelp app works probably about 90% correctly when sideloaded, but not perfectly.
    You got it backwards. It works 10%. The primary value of Yelp mobile is its ability ti get help you select someplace and then take you there. Yelp on a laptop is more about the reviews and less about the directions.

It's such a glaring example of a BBY screw up.

It doesn't work because it requires Google Maps and BBY10 doesn't work w Google Maps.

Blackberry in its arrogance decided not to make their device compatible w Google Maps or check w major apps like Yelp. Go figure.

BBY Maps suck, so that's another problem (related but also independent).
    10-05-13 07:02 PM
    Bingo! Your suggested method of obtaining the APK worked as I was previously using the APK files supplied by AppsZoom. A bit slow to initialize with the 10.2.0.125 runtime files, but definitely works. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Not able to view m.yelp.com (Yelp mobile site)-img_00000222.png  
    10-06-13 12:14 AM
    Bingo! Your suggested method of obtaining the APK worked as I was previously using the APK files supplied by AppsZoom. A bit slow to initialize with the 10.2.0.125 runtime files, but definitely works. Thanks!
    Glad to hear you got it working! BB10 isn't perfect - but no phone really is. Even though some others may feel that this app is only "10% usable" I for one am glad to at least have it available now.

People blame BlackBerry for the phone not running everything 100% and that's fine if that's how they feel. Truth is, I think BlackBerry has done an amazing job when you consider how much adversity they seem to face from all corners. It's impressive how much does work when it seems most big name app developers won't even reach out their hand just a little to help them.

Since I spent quite a bit of time helping you, I'm hoping you'll help another BlackBerry user out there if you can. This is no place for all the negative comments that some others have posted in this thread. We should all try to be more supportive of each other instead of complaining about little things which doesn't help anyone!

Posted via CB10
    tempered and Danny Ocean like this.
    10-06-13 07:55 AM