Hi all,

I just got a Blackberry Q10 after many years of Android and spending the last year with Windows Phone 8 (now 8.1).

Obviously, the BB interface will take me a while to master (I only got it yesterday) and I need to spend some time getting used to how to be efficient (still looking for my 'home' screen with widgets/active tiles) but my biggest concern at the moment if finding suitable software for it.

I made a list of the software that I use on a (nearly) daily basis so deem them as important and would really appreciate any recommendations of apps on the Q10 that would give similar/same functionality. Obviously free is better but I don't mind paying for the right software.

Also, given that (if my understanding is correct) it can run Android software - how do I find/install and run Android software?

Anyway - here is my list.

BBC iPlayer
    Fuel/mileage tracker
    Flights (checking times/terminals etc.)
    Google drive
    Maps without data (for when abroad)
    Lloyds Bank
    Trello
    Salesforce
    Feedly reader (or RSS)
    Paypal
    Podcasts
    TV guide
    Tapatalk
    Wallet/Password keeper (with desktop sync for ease of entering lots of details)
    Wikipedia

Sorry for such a long list!

Michael
    07-24-14 03:51 AM
    Hi.
    I can help you with this one:

Google drive - playcloud
    Maps - Navfree or my favorite- Mireo
    Password keeper from BlackBerry or use something like keepass or enpass
    To download android apps use
    SNAP (search on google), or amazon appstore or 1mobile. Or just copy the apk file to your sd card and install it.

Have fun with your Q10!

Posted via Q10Bold
    dikku11 likes this.
    07-24-14 04:03 AM
    Hi all,

I just got a Blackberry Q10 after many years of Android and spending the last year with Windows Phone 8 (now 8.1).

Obviously, the BB interface will take me a while to master (I only got it yesterday) and I need to spend some time getting used to how to be efficient (still looking for my 'home' screen with widgets/active tiles) but my biggest concern at the moment if finding suitable software for it.

I made a list of the software that I use on a (nearly) daily basis so deem them as important and would really appreciate any recommendations of apps on the Q10 that would give similar/same functionality. Obviously free is better but I don't mind paying for the right software.

Also, given that (if my understanding is correct) it can run Android software - how do I find/install and run Android software?

Anyway - here is my list.

BBC iPlayer
    Fuel/mileage tracker
    Flights (checking times/terminals etc.)
    Google drive
    Maps without data (for when abroad)
    Lloyds Bank
    Trello
    Salesforce
    Feedly reader (or RSS)
    Paypal
    Podcasts
    TV guide
    Tapatalk
    Wallet/Password keeper (with desktop sync for ease of entering lots of details)
    Wikipedia

Sorry for such a long list!

Michael
    Hi, the first thing you need to do is install an app called snap. You need to sideload it using the Chrome extension on a PC. This gives you access to Google play store. Search on here for how to do it. Also download the Amazon app store app to get free Android app of the day.

BBC iplayer I just went to the website and added a shortcut to the home screen

There's a ton of fuel / mileage trackers on BlackBerry world

I use Skyscanner and Flight stats

Buy playcloud 10 for Google drive, box, Dropbox, one drive etc all in one place.

Lloyds, I tried the Android app, but it offered the same functionality as the website so I just visited the site and added to home screen. Sometimes doing this is actually superior to an app.

Don't know what Trello is

Not sure what salesforce is, but if you can't get it from BBW, get the Android version. When you log in to Snap, you have access to all your previously downloaded Android stuff.

I use an RSS reader called News Reader.

PayPal, Android version was working fine last time I checked but adding from the website to home screen may make for a smoother experience. I haven't used the Android version in some time.

Podcasts aren't my thing. Sorry, but I have no experience.

TV guide, take your pick. Seems to be a few on BBW but such a simple thing can be grabbed from snap. I use the Android version of the Sky+ App

TapaTalk is available in BBW

Enpass is an excellent wallet with desktop sync. I also use the Android version of Roboform because I have a paid account already.

Wikipedia (or a third party app is available in BBW) also, go to the Wikipedia site, search for something, hit the three dots and tap add search. This now enables you to open the browser, type in the search bar and tap the search engine button next to it. Wikipedia will now be listed as an integrated search engine in the browser.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    dikku11 likes this.
    07-24-14 04:28 AM
    BlackBerry 10 currently does not have a home screen.( will be provided in the upcoming official 10.3OS).

For installing android app
    Firstly update to latest OS i.e 10.2.1( this will help to install androids app more easily) .

Secondly you can either install amazon app store directly to your device for android apps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-ap...UvbUpU10636296

Or

you can install Snap(Native BlackBerry app which is linked to play store) ,process is a little lengthy
    For snap you need a side loading app on your computer

Link
    http://m.crackberry.com/ddpb-install...k-updated-v109

Then you need the snap app
    Link
    http://redlightoflove.com/snap/

After downloading the snap app you need to open ddpb app on your computer and connect your device with development mode enabled(under settings ,security )after that just provide the ip address of the development mode and connect to device and go to add and install the snap app on your device

Regarding apps I can help you with some

Wikipedia :http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/47596888

Flight tracker :http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/26026875

Rss:http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/27344692

Password keeper :http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/35676889

Fuel tracker :http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/32032889

If you can't find something just load the android app

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 04:36 AM
    For the following:

Wallet/Password keeper (with desktop sync for ease of entering lots of details) - Ilium Soft has finally ported their ewallet to Blackberry 10. I currently use it on my Q10.

Flights (checking times/terminals etc.) - Blackberry travels. Its very good.

Feedly reader (or RSS) - Try RSS Savvy. Its quite good and free. I use it.

Wikipedia - Try Wikipedia for Blackberry. its quite good too.
    07-24-14 10:29 AM
    Welcome to the land of the Q10!
    07-24-14 12:08 PM
    Gaskeeper Pro is an awesome fuel tracker app. I have used it on my Q10 ever since I got it.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 01:41 PM
    I've gone from a bold 9900 to a q10 and I'm just wondering, does the q10 do themes like the bold? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 09:31 PM
    I've gone from a bold 9900 to a q10 and I'm just wondering, does the q10 do themes like the bold? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    No themes but some apps attempt to imitate it. Search "themes" on BBW you'll see what I mean.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-24-14 09:42 PM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 09:43 PM
    Thanks for the responses.
    I tried to find tapatalk in bbw but couldn't - am I doing something wrong?
    I am also struggling with a lot of android apps. They just don't run. Again, any advice?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 04:06 PM
    Thanks for the responses.
    I tried to find tapatalk in bbw but couldn't - am I doing something wrong?
    I am also struggling with a lot of android apps. They just don't run. Again, any advice?

Posted via CB10
    Are you on 10.2.1 and did you enable installs outside BBW? Settings > Apps Manager >Installing Apps

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-26-14 09:07 PM