I was told by rogers the cell phone carrier up in Canada that the z10 and q10 no longer use compression on the data sent
    to and from the phone making them more like the iphone hungry for data was curious if this was true or is rogers cell phone carrier
    pulling my leg not had time to check out data usage will compare to my previous 9900 bold and see how this new q 10 uses data.

Please let me know

thank you
    Raff
    05-25-13 08:46 PM
    True, no compressed data for 10, I recently increased my data plan from 1 gig to 6 gigs thru telus for $10 more monthly

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    05-25-13 08:49 PM
    True, no compressed data for 10, I recently increased my data plan from 1 gig to 6 gigs thru telus for $10 more monthly

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    Sound like blackberry was told by the carriers that they need to remove compression on data so that carriers can charge more for data and inturn buy more units from blackberry sound like we the consumers are getting screwed.
    06-01-13 07:19 AM
    Sound like blackberry was told by the carriers that they need to remove compression on data so that carriers can charge more for data and inturn buy more units from blackberry sound like we the consumers are getting screwed.
    More like BBRY's QNX based platform, that was modified to adapt to small device use, might have encountered some difficulty for internet rendition, and their solution was to bypass BIS/NOC? That alone should have contributed to so much better and faster internet-related rendition. Just say'in.......
    PJD642 likes this.
    06-01-13 08:08 AM
    I think they felt the pain during BIS outages and have decided to discontinue. Also large data plans are available inexpensively now... less need for BIS. personally I miss it.

Posted via talented thumbs
    06-01-13 08:12 AM
    I think they felt the pain during BIS outages and have decided to discontinue. Also large data plans are available inexpensively now... less need for BIS. personally I miss it.

Posted via talented thumbs
    Many will feel the pain, as the compression ratios were averaging 6:1 up to 10:1. Without BIS my personal phone data usage will go from 1to 2gb up to around 6 to 8gb. BIS was discontinued due to lag issues. Data going through the BIS servers and being compressed slowed things up a little, although not enough to bother me. I personally didn't mind a little bit slower data transfer but to be competitive now, speed is big deal to most consumers. Telus has a compression/ data usage table to compare BIS against non-BIS phones on their site. I posted the link a while back if you're interested. Fortunately BES is still compressed, which will be be a big deal to a lot of Enterprise users, including my company.
    06-01-13 10:31 AM