Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 77
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Jake Storm's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,613 Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I believe it does. Which is why the Droid Pro felt so awkward and I almost dropped it like a hot potato.
    Notice that ergonomic keyboards for desktops also have a curved profile. And that a desktop mouse has a rounded profile as opposed to the Apple flat mouse, which I don't like.
    For two-handed (two-thumbed) typing the upward curve makes sense, but not for one-handed typing.
    Hold you phone with one hand. Now move your thumb back and forth. It follows a downward curve. For two-handed typing the both thumbs making a downward curve form a smile.
    But for one handed (right hand) typing, the keyboard would have to arc all the way down to the left. The opposite for left hand only typing. Therefore a straight keyboard is the perfect compromise for both lefthand and righthand one-handed typing.
    RIM is dead. Long live BlackBerry!
  2. Jake Storm's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,613 Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRAnciano View Post

    ...I guess I won't know for sure until I try that straight/squared keyboard.
    Exactly. No sense complaining about it until we try it.
    In Kevin's review of the 'P9981 he said typing on the straight keyboard was fine.
    RIM is dead. Long live BlackBerry!
  3. Plazmic Flame's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,724 Global Posts
    #28  

    Default

    Also known as the HTC Status... absolutely hate the look.

    The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-21_hero_media_2.jpg

    Don't be afraid to LIKE or say THANKS
    What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

  4. jonty12's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,764 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,830 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7
    #29  

    Default

    Folks forget that BlackBerrys weren't alway smiling. That came with the trackball. They actually had sad faces and straight keyboards prior to the happy face. The happy face was likely introduced to look good and maximize space framing the trackball and then trackpad.
  5. girl_Interrupted513's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #30  

    Default

    What I'm concerned about, as far as the qwerty goes is the tactility of it. Taking a look at the picture again, correct me if I'm wrong, but on the straight qwerty, the keys look somewhat flat, whereas on the white phone, the keys look much more tactile. Is it just me? It just might be the lighting, but flat keys are a no no for me. I'm not a fast typer, but I definitely did type faster on my Torch 9800 than I do on the MyTouch 4G Slide that I'm using now, I absolutely hate that keyboard, and it's made me appreciate the BB keyboard that much more. The one on the Bold 9900 series is absolutely perfect, imo. And hopefully, RIM will implement that trapezoidal keyboard that they've patented in the near future, for those of us with wide thumbs.
  6. JR A's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,511 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    79828214
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  

    Default

    The advantage of a straight keyboard is the one-handed and/or no look typing, which is something I seldom do.

    It's easier to know where each key is because the columns and rows all line up, vs the Bold/Curve keys were staggered and for me at least, made no-look typing more difficult (but MUCH better than any virtual keyboard since I couldn't feel any keys...)
  7. girl_Interrupted513's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #32  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRAnciano View Post
    The advantage of a straight keyboard is the one-handed and/or no look typing, which is something I seldom do.

    It's easier to know where each key is because the columns and rows all line up, vs the Bold/Curve keys were staggered and for me at least, made no-look typing more difficult (but MUCH better than any virtual keyboard since I couldn't feel any keys...)
    You make a good point. I tend to do that as is on my laptop, so I guess it'll be similar on the phone. I just hope the keys are raised enough. I can't handle virtual keyboards, as I too need to feel actual keys.
  8. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Storm View Post
    Exactly. No sense complaining about it until we try it.
    In Kevin's review of the 'P9981 he said typing on the straight keyboard was fine.
    But isn't the P9981 keyboard the same size as the 9900? I don't think the X10 is that wide?
  9. Jake Storm's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,613 Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    But isn't the P9981 keyboard the same size as the 9900? I don't think the X10 is that wide?
    Really? I think the X10 actually looks wider than the 9900.
    RIM is dead. Long live BlackBerry!
  10. southlander's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA
    #35  

    Default The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    I just wonder why they went with the straight keyboard. The more I see it the more I dislike it.


    Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    So that the key layout/spacing between the "L" and "N" series is the same. My opinion. Makes it easier for someone that is used to the physical qwerty to jump to the virtual kb. Which, is what RIM is trying to facilitate over the long term.

    Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
  11. qbnkelt's Avatar
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

    Posts
    17,347 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,554 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    #36  

    Default Re: The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar

    Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    So that the key layout/spacing between the "L" and "N" series is the same. My opinion. Makes it easier for someone that is used to the physical qwerty to jump to the virtual kb. Which, is what RIM is trying to facilitate over the long term.

    Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk

    Ok I can see making things easier for people who will be choosing the touchscreen to have a keyboard that resembles the Bold. But why change the Z10's epic Bold keyboard for the sake of the touchscreen? There is no reason to change the best keyboard in the industry.

    Simply support Swype on BB touchscreen or have it resemble the Bold but people who will be using the X10 don't need to have it resemble the touchscreen.

    Am I missing sense at all?



    Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
  12. southlander's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA
    #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Ok I can see making things easier for people who will be choosing the touchscreen to have a keyboard that resembles the Bold. But why change the Z10's epic Bold keyboard for the sake of the touchscreen? There is no reason to change the best keyboard in the industry.

    Simply support Swype on BB touchscreen or have it resemble the Bold but people who will be using the X10 don't need to have it resemble the touchscreen.

    Am I missing sense at all?



    Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Yes. I agree the Bold has a phenomenal keyboard and RIM is "messing with success".

    To me... the Bold's rounded keyboard fits the rounded nature of the Bold's design. It just looks "right" to me. What I find odd about the "N" is the fact that the phone is still a rounded design but the keys are straight across. Whereas on squared devices the straight across keys look "right" to me.

    I think the "N" would be better if it was more like some of the mock ups we've seen, where, stylistically, it resembles the "L". On that design the straight keys look nice.

    Usability wise I think folks can get used to it as it is. I personally expect a lot of folks that say they'll never leave the physical qwerty, will actually do so for the "L" due more to the aesthetics of the "N". Just my opinion.
  13. girl_Interrupted513's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    Yes. I agree the Bold has a phenomenal keyboard and RIM is "messing with success".

    To me... the Bold's rounded keyboard fits the rounded nature of the Bold's design. It just looks "right" to me. What I find odd about the "N" is the fact that the phone is still a rounded design but the keys are straight across. Whereas on squared devices the straight across keys look "right" to me.

    I think the "N" would be better if it was more like some of the mock ups we've seen, where, stylistically, it resembles the "L". On that design the straight keys look nice.
    I agree with you. While there should be more attention paid to the L-Series because of the all touch format, the N-Series to me doesn't have that certain "it" factor, that supports it having the new OS. It's not that aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't make you go, "Oh, **** yeah!, I'm gonna camp out all night to get my hands on one of those babies!" As much as I can compare it to the iPhone, that device too, isn't aesthetically pleasing, but the OS is proven, and it WORKS. So, to implement a whole new BB OS, in a device that's supposed to cater to your most loyal user base and not have it look "sexy" is risky. But it is understandable from a business standpoint, that they'd first want to win over the majority of those on exclusively touch model platforms. I'll take a delay in the release on an N device, as long as I know that it'll be 100% perfected, and that it'll have as close to the same OS experience as the full touch L, once that device is stress tested.
  14. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,575 Posts
    #39  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I believe it does. Which is why the Droid Pro felt so awkward and I almost dropped it like a hot potato.
    Notice that ergonomic keyboards for desktops also have a curved profile. And that a desktop mouse has a rounded profile as opposed to the Apple flat mouse, which I don't like.
    The ergonomic disadvantage for something like the Droid Pro was more about the lack of a chin so you were not able to hold it as comfortably, the smile on older blackberries was much less of an ergonomic benefit than the shaping on the keys themselves or that space below the keyboard that too many seem to eager to throw away for a few mm more screen.

    Also, if you think about it, the advantage of the slight curve to the keyboard came when you were there in two-thumb mode and a straight keyboard would actually perform better one-handed with little deficit two-handed with the other ergonomic features remaining in place.
    Thanked by:
    Jake Storm (01-04-2013) 
  15. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,575 Posts
    #40  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Ok I can see making things easier for people who will be choosing the touchscreen to have a keyboard that resembles the Bold. But why change the Z10's epic Bold keyboard for the sake of the touchscreen? There is no reason to change the best keyboard in the industry.
    I think you are reading too much into straightening the keyboard, doing that does not mean that the are abandoning things that work just to match up with the virtual keyboard (although that will be an added branding bonus) they are merely changing things that don't work as well for this model just as they have done in the past so we will still almost certainly see things like the keys on the n-series not being flat and instead keeping the curving that the individual keys have on either their left or right side.
  16. Maddog24g's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    88 Posts
    #41  

    Default

    Exclusive: BlackBerry X10 (N-Series) Clear Photos - N4BB

    Clear pics on n4bb don't look half bad.
    Got my Zeeeeeeeeeee
  17. grahamf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,647 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,668 Global Posts
    #42  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog24g View Post
    Exclusive: BlackBerry X10 (N-Series) Clear Photos - N4BB

    Clear pics on n4bb don't look half bad.
    i can haz?
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
  18. cocaice's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    29 Posts
    #43  

    Default

    The new bb10 curve device on the left is really not so bad to me ... if it's in BLACK... I'm ok with the new bold device on the right... but I love the desing of 'TK JUSTACE'!The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-tk-justace.jpg
    bmw328i likes this.
  19. infinus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,602 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,605 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point
    #44  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRAnciano View Post
    When I first saw the "family portrait", I said, "Oh cool, its the full touch and QWERTY being compared to an HTC Cha Cha. Why in the **** would they compare it to the Cha Cha? Wait a minute, why does the Cha Cha have a BlackBerry logo?" *Reads blog description* Holy ****, its a mid level BB device! Or a Dev Alpha C or D??? Attachment 129420 It looks just like the old HTC Cha Cha (Facebook phone), which was a pretty nice looking Android QWERTY in my humble opinion, but with a bigger screen... Attachment 129421 Attachment 129422 Anyway, the real point of what I'm getting at is that if there is in fact going to be an entry/mid-level device for BB10, the HTC Cha Cha looks nice (even considering it released Q1 2011) and I think that form factor has a sweet spot for the younger crowd or older generation that don't need a huge screen like the full touch device or the "best" keyboard like the more expensive N series. I've been a critic of entry/mid-level devices, at least ones being released in North America, but if RIM can actually pull it off and still make the device LOOK and FEEL premium, then I don't have a problem with it. Everything RIM puts out needs to be in and of itself look/feel like it is THE flagship device (while still maintaining a cost-effectiveness to both company and consumer), well at least if they want to change the mass consumers' perception of the brand. I know I'm probably asking for too much...
    One looks like HTC cha..cha..cha……………others like regular Andriod devices……
    tangled in BB;
    undo with CB.
  20. Evan Nave's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #45  

    Default

    They look dated. These designs would have been pretty exciting in 2006. Sigh.
  21. grahamf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,647 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,668 Global Posts
    #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Nave View Post
    They look dated. These designs would have been pretty exciting in 2006. Sigh.
    And what do you call the iPhone?

    just because a design is old doesn't mean it's a classic. You can still get Gibsons that look the same as their decades old counterparts.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
  22. girl_Interrupted513's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #47  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    And what do you call the iPhone?

    just because a design is old doesn't mean it's a classic. You can still get Gibsons that look the same as their decades old counterparts.
    Sorry, but you can't compare the iPhone with BB10 at this point, cause IOS itself is THE superior OS at this point in time, whereas BB was at one point established, but now is trying to climb back up from a STEEP decline, with the unproven OS10. The success of the iPhone was a surprise. It is because it has proven itself to be RELIABLE, that the simplicity of its design is overlooked. BB doesn't have that luxury. At one point in time, BB was the "it" phone. But not anymore. The QWERTY loyalists need to be wowed, just as much as those people that RIM hopes to sway towards them with the L-Series model, both in terms of innovative design and overall performance. Apple people will remain loyal to the iPhone, so only a minuscule percentage of those users MIGHT be swayed, only out of sheer curiosity.
    Thanked by:
    kevinnugent (12-30-2012) 
  23. grahamf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,647 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,668 Global Posts
    #48  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by girl_Interrupted513 View Post
    Sorry, but you can't compare the iPhone with BB10 at this point, cause IOS itself is THE superior OS at this point in time, whereas BB was at one point established, but now is trying to climb back up from a STEEP decline, with the unproven OS10. The success of the iPhone was a surprise. It is because it has proven itself to be RELIABLE, that the simplicity of its design is overlooked. BB doesn't have that luxury. At one point in time, BB was the "it" phone. But not anymore. The QWERTY loyalists need to be wowed, just as much as those people that RIM hopes to sway towards them with the L-Series model, both in terms of innovative design and overall performance. Apple people will remain loyal to the iPhone, so only a minuscule percentage of those users MIGHT be swayed, only out of sheer curiosity.
    Quick question: Can you compress your point to a single sentence without making it sound biased?
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
  24. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #49  

    Default The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar

    I'm not gonna condemn the straight keys until I try them. I mean can it really be that bad? I trust that RIM will provide an excellent typing experience but again I won't know until I try it

    Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  25. girl_Interrupted513's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #50  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    Quick question: Can you compress your point to a single sentence without making it sound biased?
    I'm not being biased towards Apple. My first ever smartphone was the BB Torch 9800 before switching over to Android, now wishing to come back to BB because of my need for the QWERTY keyboard. What I'm doing is being honest about the mobile landscape as it stands today, and not being blinded by my loyalty to any particular brand. If I had said that IOS is "SEEN AS THE superior OS", or that "IT IS THOUGHT TO BE THE superior OS", would that have been better in not rubbing you the wrong way?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is The New Leaked Full Screen BB10 Phone Good Looking Enough To Save RIM?
    By Clinto in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 12:45 PM
  2. The New Ipad! Come take a look
    By Jiggavel in forum Apple iPhone/iPad
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 03:44 AM
  3. Replies: 115
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 04:42 PM
  4. Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 11:07 PM
  5. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions