When I first saw the "family portrait", I said, "Oh cool, its the full touch and QWERTY being compared to an HTC Cha Cha. Why in the **** would they compare it to the Cha Cha? Wait a minute, why does the Cha Cha have a BlackBerry logo?"

*Reads blog description*

Holy ****, its a mid level BB device! Or a Dev Alpha C or D???

The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-z10-qwerty.jpg

It looks just like the old HTC Cha Cha (Facebook phone), which was a pretty nice looking Android QWERTY in my humble opinion, but with a bigger screen...

The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-htc-chacha-blackk.jpg

The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-htc_chacha.jpg

Anyway, the real point of what I'm getting at is that if there is in fact going to be an entry/mid-level device for BB10, the HTC Cha Cha looks nice (even considering it released Q1 2011) and I think that form factor has a sweet spot for the younger crowd or older generation that don't need a huge screen like the full touch device or the "best" keyboard like the more expensive N series.

I've been a critic of entry/mid-level devices, at least ones being released in North America, but if RIM can actually pull it off and still make the device LOOK and FEEL premium, then I don't have a problem with it. Everything RIM puts out needs to be in and of itself look/feel like it is THE flagship device (while still maintaining a cost-effectiveness to both company and consumer), well at least if they want to change the mass consumers' perception of the brand. I know I'm probably asking for too much...
    Last edited by JRAnciano; 12-24-12 at 04:59 PM.
    12-24-12 04:47 PM
    That device on the left is "ok" to me. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but I don't care for the color scheme. I don't know. I'd like to see more of it.
    12-24-12 09:26 PM
    That device on the left is "ok" to me. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but I don't care for the color scheme. I don't know. I'd like to see more of it.
    I agree.. Would MUCH rather see how it looks in black.. Looks a little "off" in white atleast.
    12-24-12 09:55 PM
    I agree. Either that white is just an off white or cream like color or it got really dirty.

All black would make it look more premium imo.
    12-24-12 09:58 PM
    Looks similar to an 8300 series keyboard, without the familiar smiling Curve. It 'twas my favorite BB keyboard.
    JR A likes this.
    12-24-12 10:00 PM
    Exactly why i don't care eh i only use their 'high' level stuff hahaha
    12-24-12 11:21 PM
    i hope to god that white device is a dev alpha c...

i am sorry op but i disagree.. i really think its un ugly looking thing. especially when compared to the l-series and n-series. there is no way that can be a final device, even if its mid entry. the current curves are also mid entry but look really nice (in my opinion) compared to how that white device looks compared to the other 2 devices.

i hope this isnt a final device of any sort... a mid entry phone can look visually beautiful, whilst still remaining a mid entry phone spec wise... the cuRrent bb fleet(especially the curve) is testament to that.

if thats not a dev alpha c... scrap it plz rim...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-25-12 03:26 AM
    I just wonder why they went with the straight keyboard. The more I see it the more I dislike it.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    BergerKing and Geeoff like this.
    12-25-12 03:46 AM
    Looks like a Palm Pixi.
    ldudiaz likes this.
    12-25-12 04:09 AM
    I just wonder why they went with the straight keyboard. The more I see it the more I dislike it.

I actually have to agree...after getting used to the 9900 curved keyboard....I'm not sure if I would go to the new QWERTY unit
    over the full touch screen. I'll have to play with it to see...
    12-25-12 05:25 AM

I can only imagine that they did it to maximize screen space. They must have felt the smile wasn't worth the room it takes up (anymore).

I suppose we need a poll on this. Do you think the smiling keyboard has any actual ergonomic advantage?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-25-12 05:58 AM
    Looks like a Palm Pixi.
    I thought that, but also combined with the HTC cha-cha. I agree with OP, I wouldn't buy it myself but I think it's a great curve replacement on BB10 and see it being very popular.
    12-25-12 06:02 AM
    What if that's the qwerty Dev Aplpha?
    12-25-12 07:50 AM
    I can only imagine that they did it to maximize screen space. They must have felt the smile wasn't worth the room it takes up (anymore).

I suppose we need a poll on this. Do you think the smiling keyboard has any actual ergonomic advantage?
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I believe it does. Which is why the Droid Pro felt so awkward and I almost dropped it like a hot potato.
    Notice that ergonomic keyboards for desktops also have a curved profile. And that a desktop mouse has a rounded profile as opposed to the Apple flat mouse, which I don't like.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-25-12 08:10 AM

I don't think it does, before I had a BB I used a Nokia E61, and for a while I used them both together. I never even noticed the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-nokia-e61-1222785070.jpg  
    12-25-12 08:39 AM
    I've used other physical QWERTYs that were "straight" and not curved like the Bold.

I'm not sure if there was an ergonomic advantage to the keyboard being curved, but the most noticeable difference was in the tactile response and how the keys felt when being pushed. Some keyboards are toot stiff and hurt my joints and finger pads after some typing. Other keyboards were too "mushy", similar to how a membrane-keyboard for desktops feel to me, and this feels like the keys aren't responding fast enough.

I guess I won't know for sure until I try that straight/squared keyboard.
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-25-12 08:56 AM
    When I first saw the "family portrait", I said, "Oh cool, its the full touch and QWERTY being compared to an HTC Cha Cha. Why in the **** would they compare it to the Cha Cha? Wait a minute, why does the Cha Cha have a BlackBerry logo?"

*Reads blog description*

Holy ****, its a mid level BB device! Or a Dev Alpha C or D???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z10-qwerty.jpg 
Views:	1159 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	129420

It looks just like the old HTC Cha Cha (Facebook phone), which was a pretty nice looking Android QWERTY in my humble opinion, but with a bigger screen...

Name:	HTC+ChaCha+Blackk.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	129421

Name:	HTC_ChaCha.jpg 
Views:	1123 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	129422

Anyway, the real point of what I'm getting at is that if there is in fact going to be an entry/mid-level device for BB10, the HTC Cha Cha looks nice (even considering it released Q1 2011) and I think that form factor has a sweet spot for the younger crowd or older generation that don't need a huge screen like the full touch device or the "best" keyboard like the more expensive N series.

I've been a critic of entry/mid-level devices, at least ones being released in North America, but if RIM can actually pull it off and still make the device LOOK and FEEL premium, then I don't have a problem with it. Everything RIM puts out needs to be in and of itself look/feel like it is THE flagship device (while still maintaining a cost-effectiveness to both company and consumer), well at least if they want to change the mass consumers' perception of the brand. I know I'm probably asking for too much...
    I played with the Facebook phone before and let me tell you the keyboard didn't come close to even the Curve. Something about the shape of the keys being round makes it harder for me to type with.
    JR A likes this.
    12-25-12 11:57 AM
    I don't know what the purpose of the white phone is. it's obviously not the same device as the N-series on the right. I believe it is a Dev Alpha C (and maybe a prototype for the "Curve" line).

It will be superior to the ChaCha's keyboard, because RIM knows how to get the keys shaped and textured so that they are easy to use.
    JR A likes this.
    12-25-12 04:22 PM
    The device on the left does have the "chicklet" keys of the curve line as opposed to the square and ridged keys of the bolds.
    12-25-12 06:29 PM
    It sort of looks like the Palm Pixi on account of the no-navigation-keys gesture area too.

http://www.ibuyphones.com/images/pho.../Pixi-Plus.jpg
    12-26-12 03:02 AM
    it seems somewhat similar...
    12-26-12 12:12 PM
    Looks like a Palm Pixi.
    Waaay too big for a Pixi.
    12-26-12 12:19 PM
    No one notices that the phone in the middle in neither a dev alpha a, b, or z10!?!
    12-26-12 01:31 PM
    No one notices that the phone in the middle in neither a dev alpha a, b, or z10!?!
    Compare it to other Z10 pics, you'll see its the same, just the top and bottom are cut out of the picture.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-26-12 01:50 PM

It's more conducive to one-handed typing (both left and right).
    RIM has put a lot of time and energy into making BB10 work well with one hand. It only makes sense that the hardware would support that.
    12-26-12 02:22 PM
77 123 ...