I am due for an upgrade from my 9900 at the end of March, hopefully perfect timing for the N-series launch, but for some reason I just can't seem to get over the thought that the larger screen and straight lines of the keypad make it an "ugly" phone. Having seen the released pictures of the L-series this week I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked and sent them to mates who all have iPhones and they all agreed. I'm seriously considering switching to the touchscreen big brother, but its size might be just too big for me. I'm BB by choice and if the BB10 "experience" is as good as Mr. Heins says, I'm sure I'll get over the looks of the N, but for now its giving me a bit of a dilemma! Thoughts?
    12-16-12 01:25 PM
    I also like the L series and will be going with the touch screen, and as far as the N series being ugly, don't think so its a BlackBerry.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    12-16-12 01:38 PM
    I many be bias because I will be getting both of them, but what we saw in the video wasn't the finalized version. The final one is a mix between l-series and the bold 9900, both amazingly designed phones.
    12-16-12 01:42 PM
    I am due for an upgrade from my 9900 at the end of March, hopefully perfect timing for the N-series launch, but for some reason I just can't seem to get over the thought that the larger screen and straight lines of the keypad make it an "ugly" phone. Having seen the released pictures of the L-series this week I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked and sent them to mates who all have iPhones and they all agreed. I'm seriously considering switching to the touchscreen big brother, but its size might be just too big for me. I'm BB by choice and if the BB10 "experience" is as good as Mr. Heins says, I'm sure I'll get over the looks of the N, but for now its giving me a bit of a dilemma! Thoughts?
    ...that's what she said...for the most part, I'm loyal for a physical keyboard because of the many upsides (having a tactile keyboard for bridge and the many, many shortcuts associated with the home screen, browser, etc) and the smiley layout w/ trackpad will be missed
    12-16-12 01:47 PM
    Its not ugly, just misunderstood, haha. RIMs future is on the line so I'm confident they have thought this all through
    12-16-12 01:56 PM
    I many be bias because I will be getting both of them, but what we saw in the video wasn't the finalized version. The final one is a mix between l-series and the bold 9900, both amazingly designed phones.
    I didn't realise it was a hybrid pic, very interesting to see what the final hardware will look like...almost don't want to see any leaks before Jan 30th!
    12-16-12 01:57 PM
    If that is the actual finished N series I could get along with the appearance but imo it doesn't look as pleasant as the 99XX.
    12-16-12 02:00 PM
    If that is the actual finished N series I could get along with the appearance but imo it doesn't look as pleasant as the 99XX.
    My exact thoughts. If the experience is as good as we're being told then the look of the phone won't be anyway near as important.
    12-16-12 02:02 PM
    Nobody knows, I really think the one in the marketing was a placeholder.
    12-16-12 03:02 PM
    Beauty, my friend, is in the eye of the beholder.
    12-16-12 06:15 PM
    Since the developers will be getting Dev Alpha C....I'm sure some leaks will surface when that time comes.
    12-16-12 08:03 PM
    I'm sure I'll get over the looks of the N, but for now its giving me a bit of a dilemma! Thoughts?
    I haven't seen an actual "N-Series" to comment. Can you point to a physical device shot vs. a rendering or alleged rendering?
    12-16-12 08:32 PM

This is what we're talking about.
    12-16-12 08:43 PM
    I haven't seen an actual "N-Series" to comment. Can you point to a physical device shot vs. a rendering or alleged rendering?
    I think somenextgeezer means if that phone is the final product he is unsure which to choose ?
    12-16-12 08:47 PM
    as a thought, what if thats a dev alpha c they used? probably less likely as it looks like the L series we have all seen, but i guess some more info will be with us when the dev alpha C arrives with devs.

I expect RIM will announce the dev alpha C just as they did with the A and B. not so much for us to have a look, but more so they can push home that its not final hardware, before some news site tries to say it is, but until we know, we`ll just be guessing on what it looks like
    12-16-12 09:18 PM
    I hope that's the dev C which would mean the final N series would look nicer.
    12-16-12 09:43 PM
    I somehow doubt the pictured device from that leaked video is the real deal. One simple reason might be the actual space, or rather lack of it, between the screen and the keyboard. As we all know, BB10 is quite gesture heavy, especially the "peek" gesture. With virtually no space available below the screen, it would be inconvenient to actually perform those gestures.

If you take a look at Kevins very first hands-on of the Dev Alpha B, he said the raised bezel below the screen somehow hinders in performing those gestures.

Plus the design. Is really awkward itself:
    The 9900 had rounded edges, rounded keyboard ("smiley") and the somewhat rounded trackpad. Now that leaked device shows the same rounded edges, however a square, straight keyboard. IMO it makes more sense, designwise, to use a more blocky design like the L-Series does. I really hope we'll see a design like the London just with a smaller screen plus a decent hardware keyboard.
    Geeoff likes this.
    12-16-12 11:57 PM
    I think the leaked pics are a great looking phone.....Oh, hey, it's my profile pic
    12-17-12 12:24 AM
    I wonder when we can see the Dev C. This Month? or on Jan 13?
    12-17-12 01:13 AM
    I somehow doubt the pictured device from that leaked video is the real deal. One simple reason might be the actual space, or rather lack of it, between the screen and the keyboard. As we all know, BB10 is quite gesture heavy, especially the "peek" gesture. With virtually no space available below the screen, it would be inconvenient to actually perform those gestures.

If you take a look at Kevins very first hands-on of the Dev Alpha B, he said the raised bezel below the screen somehow hinders in performing those gestures.
    The thing is, the keyboard itself is less obtrusively raised so the design might be intended that you would swipe from typing up into the peek gesture and while a bit more space would probably help, it would probably just set people off with wanting to have a bigger display.

Plus the design. Is really awkward itself:
    The 9900 had rounded edges, rounded keyboard ("smiley") and the somewhat rounded trackpad. Now that leaked device shows the same rounded edges, however a square, straight keyboard. IMO it makes more sense, designwise, to use a more blocky design like the L-Series does. I really hope we'll see a design like the London just with a smaller screen plus a decent hardware keyboard.
    I think that this is actually the design, while making it more squared off to match the design of the l-series would be an option, the purpose behind this model is to provide the iconic qwerty blackberry design to those who do not want an all-touch model so what better way to do that than by making this one an update that takes its cues from the best liked bbos model the 9900.

In the future when it would be simply another bb10 model they might look to go for a design that more closely matched the other handsets, but you can see why they did not do that in this case.
    berryaddictnoza likes this.
    12-17-12 04:48 AM
    The N series device is not ugly, it takes many of its visual stylings from the 99xx series device, and most people wont notice the differences at first glance. The keyboard, while straight, is easy to type on, and gives the same "feel" as the 99xx series. The screen is elongated and encompasses the area where the trackpad used to be. Overall it is a very solid device and I enjoyed typing on it. The transition on typing from 99xx to it literally took seconds.
    12-17-12 10:37 AM
    I think that this is actually the design, while making it more squared off to match the design of the l-series would be an option, the purpose behind this model is to provide the iconic qwerty blackberry design to those who do not want an all-touch model so what better way to do that than by making this one an update that takes its cues from the best liked bbos model the 9900. In the future when it would be simply another bb10 model they might look to go for a design that more closely matched the other handsets, but you can see why they did not do that in this case.
    Exactly!

The N series device is not ugly, it takes many of its visual stylings from the 99xx series device, and most people wont notice the differences at first glance. The keyboard, while straight, is easy to type on, and gives the same "feel" as the 99xx series. The screen is elongated and encompasses the area where the trackpad used to be. Overall it is a very solid device and I enjoyed typing on it. The transition on typing from 99xx to it literally took seconds.
    Awesome!
    12-17-12 10:54 AM
    Some great feedback guys! Looks like my initial concerns have been well & truly addressed and the those leaked pictures most probably aren't the final design but give a good indication as to how it will look.
    12-17-12 11:30 AM
    I think N is beautiful getting it on day one L is too iPhone-ish if its bb you NEED that keyboard!
    12-17-12 05:02 PM
    I don't care if it looks like a horse's arse, so long as it performs as promised, and I don't have to lift a tail to type.
    12-17-12 06:48 PM
100 123 ...