I saw the bank holiday offers and just on an impulse went out and replaced my Bold 9900 with a q10. This is day 2, and I wanted to share my thoughts, positive and negative.

The positive - very fast phone, very up to date features, very modern feel to the UI - all the latest bells and whistles. This is a phone that can hold it's head up high in a specifications comparison with pretty much any phone out there today. Battery is definitely ahead of the crowd, and probably the least appreciated feature of this phone. This phone is not going to leave you high and dry often. A heavy day of use, with gps in the car for nearly 2 hours, bluetooth music playing and a healthy dose of general 'I'm fiddling with my new phone' kind of activities. Shrugged it off with over 40% left by the time I got home for the evening. No late afternoon panics with this one. Apps situation considerably better than the older Blackberry's. Screen - I love it.

The negative - well, here is where I feel like I haven't even bought a Blackberry. I miss the trackpad - there is NO comparison with the text selection - this phone is a backward step in that regard. Interface gestures are a steep confusing learning curve, but you can get there. Hate the back of it, and very glad to have put it in a leather flip case. Straight keyboard looks odd - anyone else share this feeling - its like some kind of optical illusion makes me see the straight frets almost appear to bend down the opposite of the smiley faced BB's of old. Or maybe its just my astigmatism . Software gaps compared to older blackberries - social feeds gone, and speed dialling is a total misnomer - ridiculous you can't speed dial by holding keys, and I miss that satisfying speed dial sound from my Bold. API's don't give developer's the depth of possibilities to customise the phone (shortcutme is a shadow of its former self on BB10 for example) and ringtones out of the box are a major dissappointment.

Well, a longer list of negatives than positives might lead you to think I am not impressed by the phone overall. But in fact, I am. Watching Plex via the sideloaded app, and the ability to hook it up via hdmi to my TV is worth the price of admission. Not having to carry two batteries, and no shenanigans with finicky chargers that won't charge the phone properly help a lot too. I strongly believe the perfect phone doesn't exist, as we all want something different. But how would I describe the Q10 - to a certain extent its 2 steps forward and 1 step back from the Bold 9900 and OS 7.1, but for the most part, I would say this is an honest attempt to release a productive and up to date phone in the 2013 market. I think Blackberry should be applauded, and I for one and proud to walk a different path by owning this device. I strongly recommend any holdouts try the q10 - you may just be pleasantly suprised.
    05-05-13 05:21 PM
    Plus calm down and the missing features will come with updates. Iphone 1 didn't even have copy and past

Posted via CB10
    dsan1 likes this.
    05-05-13 05:24 PM
    Meh. Sorry didn't Wana read ur negatives after reading the subject. Try the device for a few days then tell me u care about the smiling face keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Plus calm down and the missing features will come with updates. Iphone 1 didn't even have copy and past

Posted via CB10
    Try reading what the OP wrote. Or even read the subject again. smh
    OP, nice post. Glad you're enjoying yourself, hope it just gets better and better.
    Incidentally, what Bank Holiday deal did you get?
    Alex_Hong and offyoutoddle like this.
    05-05-13 05:38 PM
    I agree with you, the trackpad missing is so sad. The touchscreen is trash (when typing) compared to trackpads.

Posted via Dec Alpha C
    bobauckland likes this.
    05-05-13 05:49 PM
    Try reading what the OP wrote. Or even read the subject again. smh
    OP, nice post. Glad you're enjoying yourself, hope it just gets better and better.
    Incidentally, what Bank Holiday deal did you get?
    @bobauckland - thanks for reading the post properly - the deal was in Carphone Warehouse UK - free q10 on a 2 year contact with 3uk for 33 quid a month on their 'one' tariff, plus a free bluetooth speaker. I didn't want that, and they were out of stock,, so I changed it out for the one thing I did want - a proper Blackberry powersaving leather flip case.

@miketko - try the last line before you go off half cocked - for your benefit:

' I strongly recommend any holdouts try the q10 - you may just be pleasantly suprised.'
    bobauckland likes this.
    05-05-13 05:57 PM
    Social feeds are in your "Hub".

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 05:57 PM
    Social feeds are in your "Hub".

Posted via CB10
    If you mean the ability to see twitter, facebook et al, that is not the same functionality from the os 7.1 social feeds app sadly - no inbuilt RSS reading capability, and you can't post updates simultaneously to 2 or more social media sites.
    05-05-13 06:03 PM
    @bobauckland - thanks for reading the post properly - the deal was in Carphone Warehouse UK - free q10 on a 2 year contact with 3uk for 33 quid a month on their 'one' tariff, plus a free bluetooth speaker. I didn't want that, and they were out of stock,, so I changed it out for the one thing I did want - a proper Blackberry powersaving leather flip case.

@miketko - try the last line before you go off half cocked - for your benefit:

' I strongly recommend any holdouts try the q10 - you may just be pleasantly suprised.'
    Congrats, hope you have a great time.
    My wife is pushing me to get her a Q as well, may have to pick one up Sim free, wish CarphoneWarehouse were offering that deal on Orange or O2, I'd snap it up, 3 has horrible coverage where we live, and I really want unlimited data.
    05-05-13 06:21 PM
    Thanks! I'm lucky in that I've been with 3uk before I guess, so I get ok coverage where I am. Maybe you want to try the Tmobile offer? That's 36 quid a month and has unlimited data - not the biggest difference in the scale of things if its the difference between reception or not I guess.
    05-05-13 06:26 PM
    I guess what i should have replied with I'm tired of these indepth reviews from people who haven't spent time with the device. You're points are valid but most will be fixed with updates and others are just some people unwilling to adapt to change.

I miss the trackpad - there is NO comparison with the text selection - this phone is a backward step in that regard.
    Well I've spent more that 2 days with the Q 10 and trust me you get over it.

Interface gestures are a steep confusing learning curve, but you can get there.
    Agreed but maybe for an iphone user

Hate the back of it, and very glad to have put it in a leather flip case
    Really? How much do you hate the back?

Straight keyboard looks odd - anyone else share this feeling - its like some kind of optical illusion makes me see the straight frets almost appear to bend down the opposite of the smiley faced BB's of old. Or maybe its just my astigmatism i agree, just your astigmatism

. Software gaps compared to older blackberries - social feeds gone, and speed dialling is a total misnomer
    It will get there

ridiculous you can't speed dial by holding keys, and I miss that satisfying speed dial sound from my Bold
    Miss this aswell hopefully it's changed

API's don't give developer's the depth of possibilities to customise the phone (shortcutme is a shadow of its former self on BB10 for example

Again its very early in bb10's life
    and ringtones out of the box are a major dissappointment.
    Easily can be added with a little research on crackberry
    .[/QUOTE]

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:46 PM
    If you mean the ability to see twitter, facebook et al, that is not the same functionality from the os 7.1 social feeds app sadly - no inbuilt RSS reading capability, and you can't post updates simultaneously to 2 or more social media sites.
    Oh, thanks, I never used the social feeds app or Facebook and Twitter. I just assumed it was what you where asking about, my bad.

Posted via CB10
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    05-05-13 06:54 PM
    It never ceases to amaze me how stroppy some people get when others hold different opinions to them. You know what, this post was just an attempt to be balanced... Your making a lot of assumptions about how I feel about the phone, all of which are completely wrong anyway... Again, i quote one of my closing remarks :

'I would say this is an honest attempt to release a productive and up to date phone in the 2013 market. I think Blackberry should be applauded, and I for one and proud to walk a different path by owning this device.'

At least we both agree that it's early day's, and i'm sure much of this is yet to be developed. I can't see myself agreeing with you on much else with an attitude like that so I think I'll sign out for the night - have a better one
    bobauckland likes this.
    05-05-13 07:03 PM
    I for one think it's a great post, OP. I for one enjoyed reading it. Though smaller paragraphs might help a tad. or perhaps it's just that I'm reading on CB10 App not desktop. Lol.

A lot of things are personal preferences and feelings. Like the look of the keyboard, the glass weave back. These preferences and feelings can't be justified by facts and figures, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

Posted via CB10
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    05-05-13 07:14 PM
    Great post. I think it was an honest experience someone is having with the Q10
    05-05-13 08:34 PM
    I guess what i should have replied with I'm tired of these indepth reviews from people who haven't spent time with the device. You're points are valid but most will be fixed with updates and others are just some people unwilling to adapt to change.

I miss the trackpad - there is NO comparison with the text selection - this phone is a backward step in that regard.
    Well I've spent more that 2 days with the Q 10 and trust me you get over it.

Interface gestures are a steep confusing learning curve, but you can get there.
    Agreed but maybe for an iphone user

Hate the back of it, and very glad to have put it in a leather flip case
    Really? How much do you hate the back?

Straight keyboard looks odd - anyone else share this feeling - its like some kind of optical illusion makes me see the straight frets almost appear to bend down the opposite of the smiley faced BB's of old. Or maybe its just my astigmatism i agree, just your astigmatism

. Software gaps compared to older blackberries - social feeds gone, and speed dialling is a total misnomer
    It will get there

ridiculous you can't speed dial by holding keys, and I miss that satisfying speed dial sound from my Bold
    Miss this aswell hopefully it's changed

API's don't give developer's the depth of possibilities to customise the phone (shortcutme is a shadow of its former self on BB10 for example

Again its very early in bb10's life
    and ringtones out of the box are a major dissappointment.
    Easily can be added with a little research on crackberry

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty pathetic post overall.
    Dismissing others opinions doesn't make you look smart.
    Quite the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 05:42 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Quite the opposite.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

I guess it's pathetic or I'm just responding with my opinions on the OP's opinions. Sorry, didn't know i had to agree with OP'S opinions when i reply. All I'm trying to say is why nit pic, no divice is perfect and never will be

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:22 PM
    Quite the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    I guess it's pathetic or I'm just responding with my opinions on the OP's opinions. Sorry, didn't know i had to agree with OP'S opinions when i reply. All I'm trying to say is why nit pic, no divice is perfect and never will be

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

You don't have to agree with anything. You also don't have to be condescending to other posters. If you read your post to the OP above, I think you'll find you were quite condescending, brushing off everything he said. That's the polar opposite of agreeing with everything, and both extremes aren't ideal.
    05-08-13 12:30 PM
    Well, I have to say I really didn't post this to start a major conflict. I appreciate the support from the various posters, and I respect the opinions of those who disagree with me too - certainly its not mandated to agree with anyone in the forum after all. All I will say is there are ways of doing things, and this thread can at least serve as an example of that .........

Looking for the positive, we agreed twice now miketko -:

' I strongly believe the perfect phone doesn't exist'

'All I'm trying to say is why nit pic, no divice is perfect and never will be '

)
    just to make my intention in my OP completely clear , I'm not nit picking though, I was truly just trying to give a balanced opinion. If it came across as unduly negative perhaps I need to take that one on the chin and apologise. So, Apologies to everyone for the drama, and thanks to everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE for their opinions. Please let this thread die now
    05-08-13 03:52 PM