I agree with the title, my Q10 is making me a lesser fan, but not because of the keyboard itself, rather the "overall incoherent composition" of it makes me wonder, what went wrong, when BlackBerry was developing the Q10...
Why having a phone with such a great, real, non-digital keyboard, while disabling all the software features (double layer keyboard function: shortcut and speed dial) that make the keyboard so powerful? BBGuys! I bought a phone with a keyboard, because I want to use the keyboard (surprise!) and not the touchscreen! Hello!? Pressing "c" for contacts or "l" for calendar etc., i.e. using the build-in shortcuts, made it so easy to open those functions. Typing the beginning letters of a function and then having to touch the app button is just inconvinient and laaaaaaame. The idea itself though (google-like search engine that answers to all of your words) is good. In addition, using shortcuts like “alt + f” to see all flagged messages or “alt + u” for unread mails was such a nice feature. At least the speed dial function is working again.
Again, why having keys, when the programs are not designed for their use? Often I listen to music and just want to switch from one song to another. In OS7 I would just press the volume buttons a little longer to switch, now I have to press the volume button to see the song and the digital switching buttons on the screen then I can press the switching button. This is (at least) one step too much. Often I would not want to have to look at the screen for switching (pulling out the phone would be the third step in a row, just to switch a song!?). Furthermore especially these digital buttons are a pain in the... finger. Sometimes I have to press them more than three times, because they will not work.
I miss the convenience key. Would be a nice feature to have several convenience keys on either side of the phone (e.g. three on the right (pictures, videos, music) and three on the left), although it would not be needed, if there are enough shortcuts on the regular keyboard.
I really hate the action bar. First of all the hiding function is not working on the Q10, but furthermore: Why having a digital send button (with the length of half the screen, just to really make sure people hit this button unintentionally when trying to mark something in the text field…), when there is already a key (r e t u r n) on the keypad? It is so redundant and annoying. In addition the touchscreen has so much latency and it is so annoying having to use the touchscreen when using the trackpad/pearl/sensor, the rightclick menu/options key, and the back button is so much more precise, faster and convenient. There would be enough place for it, once the action bar would be kicked out… With a really small gesture and a much shorter way from keyboard to trackpad than keyboard to touchscreen, the sensor-bar was way better. I hate having to use the "select more/several" feature, instead I love the possibility to hold down caps lock and scroll down via trackpad (I really miss that) and with my Bold 9900 there were so few misses, when selecting text. With the stupid touch & circle I have to tap with my finger several times (and still I will not be able to place the cursor in the right place) especially, when, like in my case, a very small font size (6,7,8) is used. Switching between apps/functions using the task manager was so nice and a real speedy keyzales combined with selecting text via the sensor. Copy and paste between programs was so easy. Now it is a flipping, swiping, tapping pain! Scrolling! I would be so glad, when I could scroll again without any failure (no unintentional opening of a link, no unintentional swiping of the app, just scrolling down!). With the sensor there never was such unintentional crap.
Not directly connected to the keyboard issue, but indirectly: I do not understand what the software/screen designers thought when they designed the message view of the hub and the remember app as a whole. Why do To:, Cc:, and Subject: plus the suggested contacts fill 80% of the screen and the text field only 20%? It suffices to suggest contacts when I enter the field. It should be the other way round 80% text field and 20% for the rest. Using the memo pad in OS7 was quick and easy, using the remember app is a clumsy waste of time. Notes are not ready and easy to go through. Entering date and time in a calendar entry or a task is such a pain. And again, why is about 30% above and 20% below the actual entry field blocked with unnecessary stuff (Cancel, Save, Folder, Notes, Task etc. above and action bar below)?
Summary: The Q10 slows me down and like @CharlieV#AC I have to force myself to use the phone. I really, really, really… hope the Q20/Classic will be a worthy successor of the Bold 9900.