Last week I received my new Q10, my first Blackberry. I think it's a great phone, I really like it!
    I have some questions about password and security.

1. From what I've read in the manual the phone wipes the user data after 10 false password entries.

Does this mean that the phone gets a hard reset and is 'clean' after that, ready to be used as if it's a brand new one?

This would be very strange and would encourage to steal BB's. Just enter the wrong password and voila, you got yourself a new phone ready to be used

2. Does sd card also get wiped? Or is it smart to store photos, notes and other personal stuff on the phone memory? So basicly just store music on the sd. Is it possible to secure the data on the sd card?

3. I would like that my phone gets locked when the screen goes into time out. Right now my time out setting is 30 secs, but my lock time is set to 1 minute. I would like to set lock when the screen turns off.

I hope somebody can help me out with these noob questions
    07-28-14 01:05 PM
    Hi there and welcome to CB and the BlackBerry World.

1) Yes, after 10 failed password attempts the device triggers a 'security wipe', and by the end of (usually a pretty long) process,.. there is no personal information or app data on the device and it is basically a 'clean slate', ready for a new user. If your device gets stolen there are measures you can take via your carrier to 'blacklist' or block the device from being used again.

2) The security wipe process only affects the process if you have encrypted it. This is because the encryption/decryption key is part of the information that gets wiped off the device during a security wipe. If you don't encrypt your SD card, then nothing will happen to info on it during a security wipe.

3) The only way you can make the device lock in less time than the 1-minute minimum is by manually holding down on the lock button for a few seconds and tapping on the 'lock' icon. Alternatively, if you use a compatible holster (has to have a magnet), you can set it to lock when you put it into the holster.

1) Yes, after 10 failed password attempts the device triggers a 'security wipe', and by the end of (usually a pretty long) process,.. there is no personal information or app data on the device and it is basically a 'clean slate', ready for a new user. If your device gets stolen there are measures you can take via your carrier to 'blacklist' or block the device from being used again.

2) The security wipe process only affects the process if you have encrypted it. This is because the encryption/decryption key is part of the information that gets wiped off the device during a security wipe. If you don't encrypt your SD card, then nothing will happen to info on it during a security wipe.

3) The only way you can make the device lock in less time than the 1-minute minimum is by manually holding down on the lock button for a few seconds and tapping on the 'lock' icon. Alternatively, if you use a compatible holster (has to have a magnet), you can set it to lock when you put it into the holster.
    07-28-14 01:25 PM
    One note. If you encrypt your SD card it can only be read in the device it was encrypted in. So if you get a new phone you will have to decrypt before you no longer have the phone it was done in.
    07-28-14 01:37 PM

Thanx for your help guys..

Wow.. this is not cool.

When your phone gets stolen you don't want that someone else can use it. This is also to discourage thieves to steal your phone. But with Blackberry it's very easy to wipe it and then sell it

Why doesn't the phone freeze/lock for 4 hours? And after that you can try again 10 times - if you then fail the phone gets wiped... And stays locked so noone can use it. That would be much beter..

Also, when someone wants to guess your password for fun and fails.... It leaves me with a useless phone. Its a hassle to restore everything and it takes a lot of time..

Or.. can I restore everything (contacts/apps/notes/settings etc.) with 1 button push in Blackberry Link? I havent tried that because it won't run on my Snow Leopard Mac. And what can I do if I'm not around my backup computer? Can I restore it with an online service?
    Last edited by MarteeNL; 07-28-14 at 02:04 PM.
    07-28-14 01:47 PM
    You really shouldn't have anyone "try your password 10 times."

You can only restore if you've made a back up with Link, but you do need a computer.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 02:40 PM
    Okay Thats sucks...

I rather like a strong password and unlimited attemps just like my former phone, a low budget android phone..

The idea of erasing and using a stolen BlackBerry that easy is stupid...

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 03:17 PM
    If I'm not mistaken even if your phone was stolen and the individual initiated the security wipe you can still find the phone via Bb Protect. This is similar to apple's find your phone app but to me it's better.
    07-28-14 03:25 PM
    Hmm. Just curious... After the security wipe following the tenth failed password entry, will it still require a password to get into the phone upon booting back on ?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    I agree there should be an enhanced lock you can do from BB Protect, that won't wipe the phone after 10 failures. Perma lock! So if it is lost, they can't easily get out of it.
    riss89 likes this.
    Maybe they should add an option that after a number of failed attempts it triggers an automatic backup to a private secure cloud storage or to the computer that's used with Link or something ? And then shuts the phone off and makes it able to be turned back on only via Blackberry Protect and proper credentials.

07-28-14 03:28 PM
    If I'm not mistaken even if your phone was stolen and the individual initiated the security wipe you can still find the phone via Bb Protect. This is similar to apple's find your phone app but to me it's better.
    Forgot to mention that the phone and location services would have to be on.

http://m.crackberry.com/closer-look-blackberry-protect
    07-28-14 03:30 PM
    I'm new here but does BlackBerry check This forum? Are they listening to our feedback?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 03:33 PM
    I created this - it's a rough idea but even if it's not 100% hashed out it should get them thinking about a Lockdown Mode. I think it's got a nice ring to it.

https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter....ect-perma-lock

Feel free to vote it. I'll try and update with any replies.
    07-28-14 03:37 PM
    I'm new here but does BlackBerry check This forum? Are they listening to our feedback?

Posted via CB10
    They are not obligated to as the site is not owned by them BUT if I ran BlackBerry I would task someone in the PR and R&D teams to monitor it.
    07-28-14 03:39 PM
    Okay, this is my last about this password subject.

The whole idea for me of having a locked phone is that I can leave it laying on my desk and that I Dont have to worry that someone can use it.

That gives me ease of mind.

Now I have to worry that some maybe wants to joke around and wipes my phone...

This really sucks

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 03:39 PM
    Okay, this is my last about this password subject.

The whole idea for me of having a locked phone is that I can leave it laying on my desk and that I Dont have to worry that someone can use it.

That gives me ease of mind.

Now I have to worry that some maybe wants to joke around and wipes my phone...

This really sucks

Posted via CB10
    Your uneasiness is warranted. I'm security conscious myself. My advice to you at this time is to get BlackBerry Link and schedule regular backups. Perhaps (like an earlier poster mentioned) blackberry can revise the security procedures.
    07-28-14 03:46 PM
    After a security wipe, you can restore backedUp data via Link, with or without your phone options.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-28-14 03:48 PM
    Does BlackBerry Link also restores apps you bought? Is a backup an 1:1 copy of your phone?

Excuse me for all those questions. I heard a lot about blackberry and security and I don't want to be afraid that someone uses my phone or wipes it without my permission...

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 04:05 PM
    Yeah. There should be an option to turn it off. Would be easier.

Might not be what you are looking for, but the answer today is "it's a feature"
    07-28-14 04:13 PM
    Does BlackBerry Link also restores apps you bought? Is a backup an 1:1 copy of your phone?

Excuse me for all those questions. I heard a lot about blackberry and security and I don't want to be afraid that someone uses my phone or wipes it without my permission...

Posted via CB10
    Apps downloaded from BlackBerry World are backed up. But worst case scenario, the apps are stored under My World and will just have to be re downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 04:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    The icanmakeitbetter website is the best place to voice opinions and concerns directly to Blackberry. Not sure how many Crackberry users are aware of it or actually put it to good use though, as this site is mostly for venting, a support community and camaraderie so to speak

07-28-14 05:18 PM
    Ok thanx.. I'm going to tell them about the problem I have with password/data wipe.

I really like this Q10, if they offer a better password solution then it's perfect for me. I like the build quality, the compact shape, battery and keyboard.

Most of my friends think I'm crazy for buying a smartphone brand that isn't popular anymore but I'm glad I did.

Posted via CB10
    riss89 likes this.
    07-28-14 05:26 PM
    I think if you consider your phone as equal to your wallet or purse you will have a better idea of what security on a phone is for.
    07-28-14 05:30 PM
    Thanx for your help guys..

Wow.. this is not cool.

When your phone gets stolen you don't want that someone else can use it. This is also to discourage thieves to steal your phone. But with Blackberry it's very easy to wipe it and then sell it

Why doesn't the phone freeze/lock for 4 hours? And after that you can try again 10 times - if you then fail the phone gets wiped... And stays locked so noone can use it. That would be much beter..

Also, when someone wants to guess your password for fun and fails.... It leaves me with a useless phone. Its a hassle to restore everything and it takes a lot of time..

Or.. can I restore everything (contacts/apps/notes/settings etc.) with 1 button push in Blackberry Link? I havent tried that because it won't run on my Snow Leopard Mac. And what can I do if I'm not around my backup computer? Can I restore it with an online service?
    The premise is your data worth more than the phone. You can give them the phone but your data is protected.

You can actually store your banking info, credit cards and passwords on your smartphone now.

The stolen phone can be blacklisted reliably too because every BlackBerry has an unique PIN associated with it.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    MarteeNL likes this.
    07-28-14 05:34 PM
    One call to a carrier and phone can be blacklisted. Pretty sure you'd notice your phone is missing...

As for easy to sell a stolen phone. Most people call the carrier to make sure it's clean before handing over one penny...
    07-28-14 06:28 PM
41 12