I've had my Q10 for a month and the mushy keypad makes typing an unpleasant ordeal. I could send it back to the Amazon retailer (90 days return) but I prefer the option posted by another member of replacing the metal disks with ones from a 9900. I can't find that post, but it sounds like a brilliant solution. BlackBerry engineers, you should pay attention to to this and bring out a retooled Q10. I will not buy another phone from you until you make quality control a priority again.

An online article about repair issues mentioned that BB keyboards are vulnerable to dust and grit getting in between the keys. Has anyone who disassembled a keypad found gunk on the membrane?
    01-10-15 02:08 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=954608

This is the thread you're looking for. Page 3

Posted via CB10
    tp2386 likes this.
    01-10-15 03:08 PM
    Thanks, shriscean. Has anyone had good luck with a particular parts supplier on ebay or Amazon? Or one that should be avoided?
    01-10-15 04:19 PM
    Thanks, shriscean. Has anyone had good luck with a particular parts supplier on ebay or Amazon? Or one that should be avoided?
    None that I know of. My best advice is to look for suppliers selling new, OEM parts. I've never bought any parts on amazon but ebay has a few people selling new, OEM keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:22 PM
    I've had my Q10 for a month and the mushy keypad makes typing an unpleasant ordeal. I could send it back to the Amazon retailer (90 days return) but I prefer the option posted by another member of replacing the metal disks with ones from a 9900. I can't find that post, but it sounds like a brilliant solution. BlackBerry engineers, you should pay attention to to this and bring out a retooled Q10. I will not buy another phone from you until you make quality control a priority again.

An online article about repair issues mentioned that BB keyboards are vulnerable to dust and grit getting in between the keys. Has anyone who disassembled a keypad found gunk on the membrane?
    Hey... if it's just mushy, try the electrical tape in the battery compartment fix I mentioned in the thread. It may be that your keyboard is flexing/bouncing. That might have fixed my mushy keyboard feel without having resorted to the disc replacement, had I realized at the outset that flex and bounce was part of the problem.

I've never found any contamination in the keyboard, but I don't usually expose my phone to harsh environments.

Best of luck!
    tp2386 likes this.
    01-10-15 11:06 PM
    I took my discs from a generic membrane sticker: Keyboard Membrane Sticker

The discs require very firm pressure and may not be to some people's tastes. I really like the definite clicky feel and discs do seem to 'wear in' a bit with use.

You could buy a genuine Bold 9900 keyboard and pull the discs from there. There are plenty on eBay, but I have no real way of being sure which are definitely OEM and which are generic.
    01-11-15 01:26 PM
    Thanks for the ebay link, Shuswap. That seller has sold quite a few membranes. I'm unclear how to do your electrical tape fix. Is the tape placed in the battery compartment directly underneath the battery, meaning you don't have to remove the housing? Wouldn't this change how the battery contacts the charger pins?

My Q was made in Mexico. The label says HDW Version 1 - the factory's first run?
    01-11-15 04:01 PM
    The tape does go in the battery compartment, basically right behind the T through P keys on your keyboard. A pic of mine is below. The tape could have been a single strip with the top running right along the red line (which is approximately the top of your keyboard). Mine is three layers thick.

Don't put in so much tape that it makes the battery hard to put in. Just put in enough so that the battery is pressing firmly against the back of the keyboard. I experimented.

Mushy keypad on new Q10-img_6318-copy.jpg
    01-11-15 04:49 PM
    I don't really know what the hardware versions are -- your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps someone else can tell you what that means.
    01-11-15 04:52 PM
    Perfectly clear now - great photo. I think I got an early batch one because the battery cover is so snug it jams when closed.
    01-11-15 05:26 PM
    I totally missed the fact that you are inside the 90 day return window. You shouldn't have to rip open a new phone. Return it and get something you're happy with. Really.
    01-12-15 10:25 AM
    I agree with that, it's just the hassle of being without my prepaid web access and phone for a couple of weeks. I would have to spend more money to refill talk time on my ancient Curve, plus buy data minutes for my old, dying PC. Such a dilemma.
    01-12-15 01:42 PM
    The electrical tape fix made me think some more about the battery itself. What if the battery thickness wasn't up to spec, or the battery doesn't sit perfectly level, as someone else mentioned? I'm already planning to buy the OEM Battery Charger Bundle for the Q10 and I'm curious if the spare battery changes the feel of the keyboard.
    01-17-15 11:33 AM