I currently use a BlackBerry 9780, which I love and have had for many years.

I've finally taken a step forward and gone for the Q10..

My main question is, will I be able to transfer my contacts/settings/data from my current phone to my new Q10? Will I be able to do it via the BlackBerry Desktop software?

Main things I want is contacts, email usage, BBM contacts.

Thanks in advance,

George
    pingpongtingtong likes this.
    05-03-13 04:57 AM
    Not with desktop you will need link or use your sd card.

Z10 on Rogers
    05-03-13 05:02 AM
    Not with desktop you will need link or use your sd card.

Z10 on Rogers
    Whats link? I will have to transfer from sim to Micro-Sim, so I won't be able to use my 9780 once its SIM is removed.

Don't think my current phone has a SD card in it! Just the basic internal memory
    05-03-13 05:04 AM
    Link is the new desktop manager. Free to download from BlackBerry site. Or if your device has a slot for a micro sd card you can buy one format it then use it to swap all your data to your new phone. Then you can use it to store all your media on it. But if you don't want to go that route just download link and follow the steps.

Z10 on Rogers
    05-03-13 07:48 AM
    No your carrier will give you a new micro sim. You will not be saving your data on your sim.

Z10 on Rogers
    05-03-13 07:50 AM
    Link is the new desktop manager. Free to download from BlackBerry site. Or if your device has a slot for a micro sd card you can buy one format it then use it to swap all your data to your new phone. Then you can use it to store all your media on it. But if you don't want to go that route just download link and follow the steps.

Z10 on Rogers
    Will 'link' talk to his 9780 okay?

OP, sd card is the (optional) memory card
    05-03-13 04:49 PM
    It should it read my 9800.

Z10 on Rogers
    05-03-13 05:19 PM
    Ok, I'll download the Link software and hope it works
    05-06-13 12:38 PM
    If you contacts don't sync properly, do an email sync.

Posted via Q10
    05-06-13 12:59 PM
    Hi There,

I tried link, SD Card, as well as restore from protect, but could not get the BBM contacts. How do you restore from an email sync?

Cheers,

If you contacts don't sync properly, do an email sync.

Posted via Q10
    05-15-13 08:23 AM
    Download blackberry link. It gives you option to transfer data from a different device.
    If you have 2 us cables you can connect both devices at once. Just follow the promps

It moved all data including text messages etc to the new device.

All ways back up first though. Although you could I guess backup via BlackBerry Protect and then restore to the BB10 device as restore has been added in the latest software update

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:40 AM
    Oh and link worked on a 9700 to Q10 and a 9780 to a Z10

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:42 AM
    aka fusion,

Already tried that with one cable, as well as two cables, etc, many times. Its reaching a point where it says that there is a communication error between the Q10 and Link. Although i did download the latest OS upgrade. After many trials from Link, and the SD card, i managed to get my contacts, calendar, SMS, notes, and phonebook back. but no BBM.
    (Though SMSs are buggy too, with a huge list of blank SMS, but that's a different subject)

Download blackberry link. It gives you option to transfer data from a different device.
    If you have 2 us cables you can connect both devices at once. Just follow the promps

It moved all data including text messages etc to the new device.

All ways back up first though. Although you could I guess backup via BlackBerry Protect and then restore to the BB10 device as restore has been added in the latest software update

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:54 AM
    Not sure what to say on that, as when we entered out BlackBerry ids all the contacts etc showed up and BBM was ready to go

I guess the only option would be to forget your device on the link. Make sure it's all up to date(link). Reinstall your BBM id on your old device and make sure all apps are up to date on that device and rerun the device transfer

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 09:20 AM
    You can use the local device switch option. The BlackBerry Link wizard. Or, google contacts (gmail) to sync contacts from device to cloud wireless. Then add that gmail account to your new phone and the contacts will sync.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 04:05 PM
    You need to upgrade your 9780 to the latest version of BBM and make sure you used BBID on it. Once you do this, logging into the same BBID on your Q10 will move the contacts over. With the latest versions of BBM, the contacts are stored in the cloud, associated with your BBID.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 07:53 PM
    Gmail, Google Contacts works to wirelessly sync contacts from device to device. But that won't do anything for settings or bbm.

My friend and I updated him to a Q10 from 9900. When you first install Link, you can "switch devices" from legacy to BlackBerry 10. Link then prompts you to plug in your old phone to allow the data to be transferred to the new Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by buckwylder; 05-20-13 at 03:46 PM.
    05-17-13 09:50 PM
    I am using a 9780 BES. Transferred everything to Q10, set up BBID fine but bbm contacts don't come across. Apparently using BES they wont! Tried BBLink, but it won't finish the back up of the 9780, says error!
    If I use an sd back up and restore will i have to reinvite everyone? Or will it all happen automatically. I am so fed up, if I have to reinvite everyone I will go mad..... Help please
    05-18-13 03:59 AM
    Jdgulab
    I had the same problem transferring from 9900 to Q10. Link won't bring bbm contacts back, nor SD card will. The solution is to download BBM7 on ur 9780 (as robsteve said above), it will tie your bbm contacts to your BBID. Backup your 9780 on SD (i think q10 has issues with Link), wipe your q10, login on q10 with the same BBID (at this step your bbm contacts will appear), then restore from SD for everything else to be back.
    If BBM7 is not available for your region let me know, I have a link for a thread here with a download link.
    Goodluck
    05-18-13 04:09 AM
    Thanks, I am in UAE and it is not available. Even the Q10 in appworld is saying not available for my region! I bought in in the UK and so it is installed

If I upgrade using your link all my contacts and chats will remain?
    05-18-13 05:15 AM
    Also my only problem is bbm, everything else is in the cloud and working fine. So I assume I don't need to use an sd card for the bbm contacts?
    05-18-13 05:17 AM
    If everything else is fine, all you need is to update your BBM on 9780
    I am in the UAE too, yes BBM7 not available.
    I found this link on the threads here on CB, downloaded it and worked fine:
    RROYY - APPLICATIONS

Cheers,
    05-18-13 09:08 AM
    Jayjahed, thanks very much...
    05-18-13 09:19 AM
    Jayjahed, all working fine, although.... there is no BB voice in the Q10 app! I tried to look for the version, but it says this app is not available! it works fine as BBM, but voice is not even showing up. When i upgraded to BB7, i had the voice symbol, and so i assume i could have used it when out of the UAE. This one is not even showing. Do you know anything about that?
    05-21-13 11:43 AM
    Well when I upgraded to BBM7 it showed the voice logo but it kept labeling it as unavailable over both 3G and Wi-Fi. I didn't try it out of the UAE so I couldn't know.

As for Q10, the option is there, but again doesn't work. I guess it's blocked by both Du and Etisalat.

I'll let u know when I travel next month if it works offshore

Got your BBM contacts ported to Q10 all fine?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 03:05 PM
28 12