Unfortunately, I am one of those who had a bad experience for the 10.3 update on my Q's and downgraded.

However, I continue to receive the annoying notices for upgrades: is there a way to stop, turn off the notifications? And while I have no quantifiable proof, it seems the frequency is increasing. Of course, in an ideal world, there would be a record that I had updated and subsequently downgraded and hence likely neither require nor desire notifications.
    04-05-15 09:51 PM
    Nope. Only way to 'kill' them is to update, which you really should. The first builds of 10.3.1 were bad but most of those kinks are worked out now but to each their own. At some point, that update is going to turn into a mandatory one for security reasons and just update anyway.
    Nope. Only way to 'kill' them is to update, which you really should. The first builds of 10.3.1 were bad but most of those kinks are worked out now but to each their own. At some point, that update is going to turn into a mandatory one for security reasons and just update anyway.
    anon(3732391) and bbnrs like this.
    04-05-15 09:54 PM
    It's like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.
    It may be annoying "getting" the messages to some and 'Not" getting them to others.

You can stop automatic downloads(OTA) but you're gonna have to live with the notifications unless your carrier can stop them from their end.

I'd consider reinstalling the latest update, as it includes fixes for the earlier OS.

Bla1ze ya beat me to it again!!

04-05-15 10:02 PM
    Nope..... have to disagree with you....I did the update on my PP, and several BlackBerry apps didn't work. The developers haven't worked out the bugs...so I downgraded to 2558 and everything runs fine. If the devs can keep up with the OS updates, then I would agree. Sadly, there is always a delay, so I ignore the updates for a while.
    04-05-15 10:31 PM
    To all,

Thank you for your kind assistance. Obviously, I am disappointed. However, I guess a small price to pay.

Admittedly, I am concerned the update will be forced upon me. I will have to review my agreement with BB (my phones are unlocked) as I do not recall BB having the right to unilaterally update my phone......This might be enough to truly raise my hackles.

In any event, whilst it is good to hear all the issues from lack of responsiveness, volume, short tones, the recipient of a call not being able to hear me, poor texting, battery, wifi, bluetooth, etc have been corrected, I still am not a fan of the UI on the Q. I find, for my use, too many processes that were accomplished with "one touch" now require two or more, I dislike the screen always defaulting to the HUB, even when I have set the phone NOT to, the use of grey fonts overlaid on white making it difficult to read, the MASSIVE blue dot that sucks up too much real estate on the Q, etc. For me, too many losses for what I use the phone: emails, phone, BBM and texting. I do not use Android apps.
    04-06-15 08:32 PM
    To all,

Thank you for your kind assistance. Obviously, I am disappointed. However, I guess a small price to pay.

Admittedly, I am concerned the update will be forced upon me. I will have to review my agreement with BB (my phones are unlocked) as I do not recall BB having the right to unilaterally update my phone......This might be enough to truly raise my hackles.

In any event, whilst it is good to hear all the issues from lack of responsiveness, volume, short tones, the recipient of a call not being able to hear me, poor texting, battery, wifi, bluetooth, etc have been corrected, I still am not a fan of the UI on the Q. I find, for my use, too many processes that were accomplished with "one touch" now require two or more, I dislike the screen always defaulting to the HUB, even when I have set the phone NOT to, the use of grey fonts overlaid on white making it difficult to read, the MASSIVE blue dot that sucks up too much real estate on the Q, etc. For me, too many losses for what I use the phone: emails, phone, BBM and texting. I do not use Android apps.
    Blackberry has a right to your phone, you do not. You have merely purchased the hardware, and a license to use the software.

They can do anything to it, including remotely wipe it, upgrade it, make it display funny pictures, whatever they want.

Now, it's highly unlikely they will, but it is possible.

This is the same across all hardware and software manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 09:42 PM
    How about if you just open it and go back. Leave it that way and don't delete it?
    04-06-15 09:53 PM
    Blackberry has a right to your phone, you do not. You have merely purchased the hardware, and a license to use the software.

They can do anything to it, including remotely wipe it, upgrade it, make it display funny pictures, whatever they want.

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure about that?
    04-06-15 09:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    You're kidding, right? Lol!!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-06-15 10:25 PM
    Do you guys NOT read the terms and agreements?

Are you not aware of how modern software works?

They own your soul!

They can literally do anything to your phone.

You don't have to believe me, go dig up the manuals for your phones or look up the agreements online.

You'll see. Blackberry basically owns the device and you're at best leasing it from them. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's about it.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:53 PM
    Do you guys NOT read the terms and agreements?

Are you not aware of how modern software works?

They own your soul!

They can literally do anything to your phone.

You don't have to believe me, go dig up the manuals for your phones or look up the agreements online.

You'll see. Blackberry basically owns the device and you're at best leasing it from them. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's about it.

Posted via CB10
    What the agreements protect is intellectual property, including modifications to the device, hacking the OS, etc.....

Is the Earth still flat too? Lmao!!
    04-07-15 12:02 AM
    Thank you for your comment.

I will have to re-read the agreement as I do not remember anything that allowed BB to unilaterally change the version on my phone without my consent. I do remember language about not reverse engineering, IP protection, etc. I would tend to believe that as it was a "sale" and not a "lease" that what you suggest is not possible. I might see a case that if I was using BB's servers, etc., they would have the right to bar access due to security concerns or incompatibility.

Granted it has been a couple of years since I read the agreement. I might have to see if the legal team can do a favour for me.

Or, you could simply cut and paste the relevant sections from the EULA as it appears you have read the document. And I could refer to the quoted section.
    Hazo likes this.
    04-07-15 12:50 AM
    Thank you for your comment.

I will have to re-read the agreement as I do not remember anything that allowed BB to unilaterally change the version on my phone without my consent. I do remember language about not reverse engineering, IP protection, etc. I would tend to believe that as it was a "sale" and not a "lease" that what you suggest is not possible. I might see a case that if I was using BB's servers, etc., they would have the right to bar access due to security concerns or incompatibility.

Granted it has been a couple of years since I read the agreement. I might have to see if the legal team can do a favour for me.

Or, you could simply cut and paste the relevant sections from the EULA as it appears you have read the document. And I could refer to the quoted section.
    Meh, I'm lazy.

But seriously, they can change the OS. They reserve all the rights to do that.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 10:29 AM
    Meh, I'm lazy.

But seriously, they can change the OS. They reserve all the rights to do that.

Posted via CB10
    Again, thank you for your comments.

The legal team, part of a Fortune 500 corporate legal group, took a quick review, as did I, and reached a conclusion, based on a couple of clear statements with respect to "...to the extent prohibited by law . . ." unilateral access and forced upgrade would be illegal. Of course, a review of all country agreements was not undertaken: only the countries that relate to the purchase of units currently used. It was thought BB/RIM would simply bar service.

Mind you, if indeed BB did act unilaterally, it is questionable whether one would assume the cost of litigation. More likely, one would simply, if one felt strongly, cease use of BB products. As a side note, different country divisions are using other mobile solutions, such as iOS, and have not been forcefully upgraded, despite running significantly older versions due the need for Third Party Solutions that have neither been upgraded nor integrated with newer OS versions.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-15 06:42 PM
    Again, thank you for your comments.

The legal team, part of a Fortune 500 corporate legal group, took a quick review, as did I, and reached a conclusion, based on a couple of clear statements with respect to "...to the extent prohibited by law . . ." unilateral access and forced upgrade would be illegal. Of course, a review of all country agreements was not undertaken: only the countries that relate to the purchase of units currently used. It was thought BB/RIM would simply bar service.

Mind you, if indeed BB did act unilaterally, it is questionable whether one would assume the cost of litigation. More likely, one would simply, if one felt strongly, cease use of BB products.
    Did you also take a look at Apple/Google/Microsoft agreements? Because I'm pretty sure they will be very similar, if not the same.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 06:43 PM
    Did you also take a look at Apple/Google/Microsoft agreements? Because I'm pretty sure they will be very similar, if not the same.

Posted via CB10
    No. As I do not have to worry about those country solutions, I won't fret. Although I do know a test program is being run on a small number of units to see if the most current version, I believe i0S8 versus current i0S6, for compatibility.

One reason why entities liked MSWindows, despite ALL the issues was the backward compatibility. Redundancy, and ever shortening product cycles carry a cost far greater than managing the security of slightly dated OS's.
    04-07-15 06:53 PM