Why does it require headphones to be used as an antenna?? How does that even work? I hate when I'm sitting around and i go to play my favorite radio station from my phone and it tells me i need headphones when i don't have them on me.. I find this annoying! It should work without them if the radio is built in!

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    03-25-14 12:19 PM
    It actually does need to use the headphones as an antenna. The wavelength of FM is too big to also shove into a Q10 along with all the other stuff and even if they put one in it may be too small. Your radio would be pretty useless if most stations except the strongest of signals were just static. But if you like you can always carry around a pair of small headphones. You don't necessarily have to listen to FM through the headphones. You can always choose to play it through the speakers. More(three dots)>Audio>Speaker. That option is there when there is audio playing so you must play something first. I don't know what else to tell you. It is a great feature that is hard to find on other platforms. It just has a tiny downside of requiring headphones to substitute a proper antenna.
    03-25-14 12:37 PM
    Why does it require headphones to be used as an antenna?? How does that even work? I hate when I'm sitting around and i go to play my favorite radio station from my phone and it tells me i need headphones when i don't have them on me.. I find this annoying! It should work without them if the radio is built in!

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    Would you want a fixed antenna instead?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 12:39 PM
    Would you want a fixed antenna instead?

Posted via CB10
    That would be awesome!
    03-25-14 12:54 PM
    The fm radio is a function of one of the chips in the q10 its not a dedicated chip or a chip designed specifically for BlackBerry. A lot of phones have the same chip. Network carriers don't often like the feature as they prefer you use internet radio which uses your data allowance so some providers have turned the feature off. It always works same way using headphones as antenna.
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    03-25-14 01:24 PM
    That would be awesome!
    So where exactly would you put the three foot rod? Permanently extended or collapsible (which, if headphones are a hassle, would also evidently be out of the question)?
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    03-25-14 01:54 PM
    Just stick a little 3.5 mm pigtail in the socket and listen through your phone speakers. Simple as that. No need for headphones

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    03-25-14 02:57 PM
    Just stick a little 3.5 mm pigtail in the socket and listen through your phone speakers. Simple as that. No need for headphones

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Seriously? How's the reception?
    03-25-14 03:01 PM
    So where exactly would you put the three foot rod? Permanently extended or collapsible (which, if headphones are a hassle, would also evidently be out of the question)?
    I figured a collapsible antenna with a 3.5mm jack.
    dwhite2213 likes this.
    03-25-14 03:15 PM
    Life hack.

Z30 Fido
    04-20-14 03:56 PM
    Life hack.

Z30 Fido
    Well that was supposed to be a pic of a set of head phones cut off at the jack. Can't figure out how to post a pic.

Anyways. Works like a charm. You don't really need the hardware, fm goes everywhere pretty well. But the os wants the plug in.

If you get a call while listening to radio, use the speaker or pull the plug out.

Z30 Fido
    04-20-14 03:58 PM
    i've been using the q10 fm radio for a bit but anytime i listen through the headphones, i only hear audio out of 1 earbud...when it outputs through the speaker it appears to have a higher stereo fidelity...or is the audio designed to only be monaural? note that i tried 2 different pairs of earbuds and i get high stereo quality sound when listening via pandora or other music apps.
    04-26-14 01:39 AM
    I have downloaded several radio apps including TuneIn Radio which has lots of selection including local stations, and I can listen to them using my phone's speakerphone. I've also downloaded Nobex, Soundcloud and Slacker Radio (all for free through AppWorld).

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 06:06 AM
    Those aren't "radio apps". They use data, and stream from whatever source provides the stream. (be it a radio station or some wanna-be DJ in his moms basement)

The OP is talking about the built in, FM radio. No data use.

If you're old enough to remember the time before mp3/iPods, this was how us old folks would listen to music.
    Every car, even to this day has a FM/AM radio in it.
    Wiki or Google can fill in the details of these old things.

Rock on

CDN
    LibertyPhone likes this.
    04-27-14 12:37 PM
    Just found a 3.5mm jack with an FM antenna on amazon under 4 bucks plus shipping. Might pick one of these up, paired with my Z30 and blue tooth speaker. Boom!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ATW...UvbUpU10291867

Posted via BlackBerry White Z30
    04-27-14 06:19 PM
    Those aren't "radio apps". They use data, and stream from whatever source provides the stream. (be it a radio station or some wanna-be DJ in his moms basement)

The OP is talking about the built in, FM radio. No data use.

If you're old enough to remember the time before mp3/iPods, this was how us old folks would listen to music.
    Every car, even to this day has a FM/AM radio in it.
    Wiki or Google can fill in the details of these old things.

Rock on

CDN
    She knows he is talking about the FM radio. She is giving him an alternative to listen to music on the go without headphones. But cool, talking down to her.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10.
    04-27-14 08:02 PM
    I also did not think he would answer your question in the affirmative...

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10.
    dwhite2213 likes this.
    04-27-14 08:03 PM
    I use both external and on board 10 speaker ( not a the same time). The speaker on the Q10 is louder that the when plugged into the Cube speaker. When using the music apps with Blue Tooth on my Q10 with the Cube the Cube is louder.
    Attached Thumbnails Love my Q10's FM radio but..-img_00000017.jpg   Love my Q10's FM radio but..-img_00000018.jpg  
    Last edited by dphjeff; 04-27-14 at 09:00 PM.
    04-27-14 08:27 PM
    I am old enough to remember FM radio, lol, in fact, still listen to it in the car (no Sirius or XM for me). I didn't know you could do this with your phone (I knew it was possible with an iPod), so I will have to try it.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 01:25 PM
    My Nokia N900 has an FM transmitter which is well cool. I output to the fm radio in my kitchen.

Posted on my Q10.
    10-16-14 01:23 PM
    I just tried - and I don't see an option to play radio through my UE Boom bluetooth speaker. Only phone speaker or headphones.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1052
    10-16-14 05:16 PM
    I just tried - and I don't see an option to play radio through my UE Boom bluetooth speaker. Only phone speaker or headphones.
    The FM radio use the bluetooth antenna to receive... you will not have both
    10-17-14 07:19 AM
    The FM radio use the bluetooth antenna to receive... you will not have both

Didn't know that - Thanks.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1052
    10-17-14 09:19 AM