I want something not Android or iOS or Windows but that will work on a Sprint MVNO. I'm currently using a Motorola Admiral. I like its size, the real (Blackberry style) keyboard and its quality. Unfortunately the Admiral is getting really "long in the tooth" and I'm afraid that sooner, rather then later, Android 2.3.x will lose what little support it still has. I like the size, specs and keyboard on the Q10. My phone/data usage is light, but I do like to get my email on my phone, use Evernote and -- very occasionally -- use my phone for navigation. I've checked and the Q10 (Sprint version) will activate on the Sprint MVNOs I'm looking at, which -- finally -- brings me to my questions.

Pre OS 10 Blackberries would activate on Verizon MVNOs, but you had no access to data (or if you did, it required finagling and it only halfway worked). Sprint MVNOs wouldn't even let me activate -- returned an error that Blackberry services were not available. First question, if I activate the Q10 on a Sprint MVNO, do I need any special data package, like BES or BIS (I think those are the right acronyms)? or will the Q10 activate just like an Android with data, talk and text "out of box"? If data works, would I be able to set up my email accounts ... Charter, Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Yandex -- or does that require a special subscription service? Would I automatically get access to the Blackberry app store (not sure of the name), or would that require an annual fee. I believe BBM is free, but is there a sign-up fee, etc. Can unwanted pre-loaded apps be deleted, or does Blackberry lock you into them, like Android? -- except with my Android phone I can root it and remove (or freeze) these apps.

Sorry to ramble. I just want to know if the FULL use of a Q10 is possible on a Sprint MVNO. Thanks for any pointers or advice.
    05-20-16 12:42 AM
    First question, if I activate the Q10 on a Sprint MVNO, do I need any special data package, like BES or BIS (I think those are the right acronyms)? or will the Q10 activate just like an Android with data, talk and text "out of box"?
    BB10 phones do not require a BIS plan for full functionality, so everything will activate and work out of the box.

If data works, would I be able to set up my email accounts ... Charter, Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Yandex -- or does that require a special subscription service?
    Assuming your email services support the standard protocols like IMAP or POP3, you will be able to connect them to your Q10 just fine. There are no fees or subscriptions for that.

Would I automatically get access to the Blackberry app store (not sure of the name), or would that require an annual fee.
    Access to BlackBerry World is free. Like any app store, the apps themselves can either be free or paid, depending on the app. If you are running the latest version of BB10, it will also come with the Amazon Appstore and you can install Android apps that run on the BB10 Android Runtime. Like BlackBerry World, access to the Amazon Appstore is also free (individual apps can be free or paid), you just need an Amazon account. If you are feeling adventurous, there is a way to get the Google Play Store, as well. Search for "Cobalt Google Play" in the CB Forums.

I believe BBM is free, but is there a sign-up fee, etc.
    BBM is free, no sign up fee. You can pay to add features, remove ads, and buy sticker packs, but none of that is necessary.

Can unwanted pre-loaded apps be deleted, or does Blackberry lock you into them, like Android? -- except with my Android phone I can root it and remove (or freeze) these apps.
    You can delete many pre-loaded apps like Facebook or Foursquare, but there are some you cannot delete, like the Amazon Appstore. There may be ways to get around that but I haven't bothered to try - I just create a home screen folder labeled "unused" and that's where I put all the apps I don't use but can't delete.

So the short answer is yes, you will be able to enjoy full use of a Q10 on a Sprint MVNO without extra hassle or costs.

Based on the details you shared about what you are looking for in a smartphone, I think you will enjoy the Q10 very much. You will be surprised at how smoothly and efficiently BB10 runs on it and enjoy communication and productivity features that no other mobile platform has.

Join me on BBM!
    05-20-16 06:01 AM
    Based on the details you shared about what you are looking for in a smartphone, I think you will enjoy the Q10 very much. You will be surprised at how smoothly and efficiently BB10 runs on it and enjoy communication and productivity features that no other mobile platform has.
    Yep, since asking the questions here I've been watching reviews and the Q10 looks much more polished than the Android phones I've used or tried. I thank you for all the information, amazingly you were able to cut through all my rambling and answer the questions I sort of asked. Looks really good.

If I can delete Facebook I'll be content to move all the other unused apps into their own folder and ignore them. I guess I'll need to figure out how to get the Android Kindle app to work (if I read correctly you can just install the one from Amazon?). I may have to do the same with Yahoo Mail app since I don't have POP or IMAP on that account. All the other accounts have both POP and IMAP.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure I'll be going forward with the Q10. Once I get it and activate it on -- probably -- Tello, I'll be asking more questions here, if that's okay.

Again, thanks. Very helpful information.

Mod note :
    This post was a "duplicate" and under moderation but since previous was a bit different, please find it below.
    @rcentros :feel free to edit/delete this part.

Sounds great. Once I get a Q10 and sign up on -- probably Tello -- I'll come back and ask more questions if that's okay. I was looking at some of the reviews of the Q10 and it definitely looks like the phone I want. I have zero interest in loading up on games and apps. If I can get rid of Facebook I'll be happy with putting the rest in an unused folder. I guess I'll have to figure out how to install one more app -- Kindle -- but it looks like you can get that from Amazon, so that should be about it. I don't have POP with Yahoo -- so I might have to figure out how to bring over the Android Yahoo Mail app -- all the other email addresses have POP and IMAP.

One more question ... (sorry). What maps and navigation does the Q10 use? Google?

And thank you very much for all the information. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for when I posted my rambling questions.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-20-16 at 06:59 AM. Reason: merged
    05-20-16 06:40 AM
    I'm sorry to say, this is the third post that will probably show up in response to Newfangled. If the moderator doesn't mind deleting this post -- and the first of the two just above it (which were redundant) I would appreciate it. I didn't realize my posts were waiting for moderation. My apologies.

(EDIT: Now this post shows up? Is it because I used the quote feature in the other two?)
    05-20-16 06:42 AM
    I'm sorry to say, this is the third post that will probably show up in response to Newfangled. If the moderator doesn't mind deleting this post -- and the first of the two just above it (which were redundant) I would appreciate it. I didn't realize my posts were waiting for moderation. My apologies.

(EDIT: Now this post shows up? Is it because I used the quote feature in the other two?)
    As it may be useful to others, let me explain
    Your posts were indeed under moderation which is an automatic process.
    We mods try to be as fast as possible to release them but as you may see, we sometimes have some extra-work to do (my edit).
    Just be patient, we go as fast as possible, with a great team of moderators all over the globe and time zones but, hey ... we're just humans !

Glad you found the answers to your questions, keep the good forum-ing going !

P.S: as noted, edit it exactly as you desire, now

SF
    mod team.
    05-20-16 06:59 AM
    Glad to help!

Regarding your maps question, BB10 does come with BlackBerry's own maps app. It's not as robust as Google Maps but does have built-in turn-by-turn GPS navigation and has worked well enough for me in the past.

There are also many other map apps in BlackBerry World and the Amazon Appstore that you can try.

Join me on BBM!
    05-20-16 07:07 AM
    Thanks to Superfly_FR and Newfangled for all the good information. When I get a little more time I'll probably edit out the redundancy in my two posts. I've got a used Q10 on order and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I think I'll pick up a Blackberry Hard Shell case for it (it comes with a screen protector) -- it looks like a fantastic deal at $5. Blackberry maps are fine for me. I'm not enamored with Google, so as much as I can avoid them the happier I'll be. Again, thanks. Extremely helpful folks here.
    Superfly_FR and anon(6038817) like this.
    05-20-16 11:26 PM
    The Sprint SIM came today so now my Q10 is a full-fledged phone. I like it a lot. I'm not going into detail about it right now since I haven't used it long enough to know -- yet -- what issues, etc., I may have to work through since I'm coming from Android. But this phone is pure quality and smooth. My brother and his wife already have Q10s on order. Looks like it's going to be exactly what I (we) wanted. The only thing that "bums me out" is that Blackberry won't be releasing any new OS10 phones. I guess I'm just going to have to make my Q10 last. I've seen a thread specifically for those who have moved to the Q10, so that's probably where my next post will be.

Again, thanks. I think (for me and my usage) this is the best phone decision I've ever made.
    05-31-16 06:25 PM
    The Sprint SIM came today so now my Q10 is a full-fledged phone. I like it a lot. I'm not going into detail about it right now since I haven't used it long enough to know -- yet -- what issues, etc., I may have to work through since I'm coming from Android. But this phone is pure quality and smooth. My brother and his wife already have Q10s on order. Looks like it's going to be exactly what I (we) wanted. The only thing that "bums me out" is that Blackberry won't be releasing any new OS10 phones. I guess I'm just going to have to make my Q10 last. I've seen a thread specifically for those who have moved to the Q10, so that's probably where my next post will be.

Again, thanks. I think (for me and my usage) this is the best phone decision I've ever made.
    I'm glad to hear it's working out for you so far! BlackBerry CEO John Chen has said there will be no new BB10 phones in 2016. But he didn't say anything about 2017!

There are 2 more OS updates coming for BB10 this year, too.

The Q10 should last you a good long while, especially since you can easily replace the battery.

I have also replaced the keyboard, screen, and frame in mine - all relatively easy to do with the proper tools and the help of some great YouTube videos.

I'm on a "retro kick" right now enjoying a BlackBerry Bold 9930. Even at 5 years since release, it's still a very capable email, SMS, and communication device. I actually like the keyboard on my 9930 more than the Q10, although the Q10's is excellent in its own right.

My point is, BlackBerry phones are made to last, so you should easily get at least a few years out of that Q10.

Enjoy!

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    05-31-16 07:35 PM
    May I ask what model is the correct sim card for the Sprint Blackberry Q10 and where u got it from? Also which MVNO did u activate it on?
    06-01-16 09:49 PM
    May I ask what model is the correct sim card for the Sprint Blackberry Q10 and where u got it from? Also which MVNO did u activate it on?
    SIMGLW206R is the correct model and you can get it through Ting or on Amazon As far as activation, you can use Ting, Tello, and if you are lucky Ringplus
    06-02-16 08:56 AM
    Thanks for the information, I really hope it can be activated on RP, I have seen Q10's passed the ESN Checker but as for registering, did anyone encounter errors regarding blackberry services?
    06-02-16 02:30 PM
    Thanks for the information, I really hope it can be activated on RP, I have seen Q10's passed the ESN Checker but as for registering, did anyone encounter errors regarding blackberry services?
    The Q10 does not require BlackBerry Internet Service. No BB10 phone does.
    06-02-16 02:32 PM
    My point is, BlackBerry phones are made to last, so you should easily get at least a few years out of that Q10.
    No argument here. Love the build quality of the Q10. Haven't found much to complain about yet -- though I wish I could hide email titles and the back and menu keys when reading emails in the Hub. Together they take up about a third of the screen. But if this is the worst I'm going to run into, I'm not complaining much. Thanks.
    06-02-16 04:59 PM
    Sure. RingPlus (for now). I also talked to Tello and they'll activate the Sprint Q10 -- even though they say no Blackberries in the ESN checker. I also checked Ting and Kroger iWireless and they showed good to go. I'm pretty sure it would also activate on TPO, but their ESN checker (like Tello's) comes back with "No blackberry devices." These use the Sprint SIMGLW206R ICC SIM. I got mine on eBay, where you can find new ones for about $8, including postage. (I wouldn't buy a used one.) You can also find them on Ting for $9 plus postage, if you don't like eBay. Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry for the redundancy. Most of this was already answered.
    06-02-16 05:04 PM
    I'm currently using the Q10 on RingPlus. No issues with data, text or talk at all. (I should say no extraordinary issues. You still have the latency issue that RingPlus is "infamous" for. Some places worst than others, I'm told.) Blackberry services is not an issue with the Q10. Once I did try to activate a pre-OS10 Blackberry on RingPlus. It passed the ESN check but when I actually tried to activate it, it came back with "Blackberry services not supported." No issue like this with the Q10. A clean ESN and a valid ICC # and you should be good to go.
    06-02-16 05:10 PM
    I tried to activate my Q10 and couldn't get it activated. But since I have the iccid sim card, I tried an ebay listing esn and iccid on ringplus, and still couldn't get it activated. I know I need a new q10 but also need a new sim card? I really wanna use a q10 on ringplus, can you tell me the exact steps and any issues u been through? do you have to submit a ticket for them to activate it successfully?
    06-12-16 10:29 PM
    do you have to submit a ticket for them to activate it successfully?
    First ... I'm sorry I missed this post.

Secondly, no, nothing special with the activation(s). There are three of us who moved to Blackberry Q10s on RingPlus (me, my brother and his wife). We ordered new SIM (ICCID) cards from eBay, since our phones didn't come with them, but otherwise no issues at all. What ICCID card are you using? The Blackberry Q10s require SIMGLW206R ICCIDs.

What error did you get?

I just randomly checked another eBay Q10's ESN on RingPlus' ESN checker and it showed good to go.
    07-12-16 11:21 AM