Having used the Q for nearly a month, I do have some issues with the keyboard despite the great tactile experience.

As I do have to type long emails at times, I find that typing punctuations can be a hassle. Thank God for double-space bar for the period. But then again this feature is nothing new in other OS.

Punctuation happens more frequently than capitalization. I think if we can long-press a key to quickly input the associated alternate symbol, the process of punctuating texts would be easier. This means (on a US qwerty) that long-pressing N would yield the comma, etc. Since capitalisation is less frequent (and since we can auto-caps the first word of the sentence), two-button presses for caps is better suited than two-button presses for punctuation.

What would be awesome is if we can actually have the option to choose what the 'alt' button would do and consequently what the long-presses would be for. Some would prefer the normal whereby the 'alt' is for associated symbols and numbers while others may like that long-presses be allocated for the symbols and numbers.

BlackBerry should actually implement this, somehow by programming the 'sym' key as a toggle.

Just my two-cents on the matter. Any thoughts on this?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 01:49 AM
    Nah I like the long press caps and plus its a BlackBerry staple. Typing on mobile is more casual now due to everyone moving to touchscreens and auto correct. So less punctuation forgivable.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 02:01 AM
    Having to press and hold the "alt" and then pressing return to skip to the next line can be a pain at times. I see no need to have to change the input language especially since my phone doesn't have an additional choices at this time. That is what the quick press of alt and return gives you at this time.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 03:32 AM
    As an avid Bold 9900 user, I cannot understand why you're complaining about it. I can understand complaining about using characters such as {}[]<>^%, but that's about it.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 03:36 AM
    Nah I like the long press caps and plus its a BlackBerry staple. Typing on mobile is more casual now due to everyone moving to touchscreens and auto correct. So less punctuation forgivable.

Posted via CB10
    Using text speak anymore is inexcusable now as well. Heck I used compete sentences, puncation and spelling words out when texting on a T9 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 03:37 AM
    The keyboard in my opinion is the same if not better then the Bold. I really don't see much if any difference at all.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 05:17 AM
    I bang out long emails every day and while I think it would be cool to be able to customize the function of a long key press, I'd choose to keep it as is.

BTW. BlackBerry was first to have a double space insert a . and a capital letter so saying it's nothing new is more true than you seem to know.

Posted via talented thumbs
    06-21-13 06:42 AM
    BTW. BlackBerry was first to have a double space insert a . and a capital letter so saying it's nothing new is more true than you seem to know.

Posted via talented thumbs
    This is what I thought but wasn't sure. I also want to see them put back in the auto placement of the @ and the . when typing an email! That's BlackBerry too.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 12:01 PM