It's a software bug, but it still happens to many others besides myself. Why not respond to anything else I've written? Because I have some logical ideas that could be implemented now.

Further, explain to me why it is so much easier to type on my Q10's keyboard than my iPad's keyboard? The keys are around six times the size, no? Jow is this any different than an end key vs a virtual end key?

And just to reiterate, one benefit of a physical end key would be to end a call from another app on my multitasking Q10.

The only thing more satisfying than a physical end key is a flip phone. If BlackBerry came out with a flip phone that ended a call when I snapped the phone shut, I'd be happy.
    I have responded to most of what you've written, in this thread and the other one. I haven't said that having a physical key as a shortcut to end a call is a bad idea, I said using the space bar would make the most sense for that. I don't think its reasonable to have the q10 redesigned to have a physical end key.

we aren't talking about typing though, we're talking about hanging up the phone... its 1 onscreen button, and it doesn't need to pressed in combination with others to make sense, ie a word. So I don't think its a fair comparison at all.

Yes a physical end key would make it so you can hang up from within any app, but like I said above, its not realistic to expect blackberry to redesign the Q10 for this reason. Its not like its hard or time consuming to swipe up and then end the call... if one can multitask effectively, hanging up shouldn't be an issue.

I really think a main issue is that your screen times out / locks, if that wasn't the case I don't think you'd be as upset without and end guy as you are.

Nothing will ever be as efficient, or gratifying as just slamming a phone down onto its receiver, after that, the flip shut is 2nd best.... I even have an NFC tag at my desk at home and at work that when I put the phone down it ends the call. (granted I can't SLAM the phone down, so its not as gratifying as it could be)
    09-05-13 12:51 PM
    I think they were thinking that it would be harder for someone to press a key 1/16th the size of an on screen button.
    I don't think they were thinking, and if they were, these guys are idiots. They already had the basic functionality that most of us wanted on the Bold 9900. We just wanted it to work (better).
    09-05-13 12:51 PM
    Its not like its hard or time consuming to swipe up and then end the call... if one can multitask effectively, hanging up shouldn't be an issue.
    Two functions to end the call? Swipe up and then push a button. Crazy. Stupid. I don;t think anyone is suggesting building a new phone with different keys, now that we have and are stuck with this lousy stupidly designed and highly flawed device. But we are suggesting that Blackberry get off it's **** and introduce software updates which make things better. Yes, any key, from the space bar to "e" for end call would do.
    09-05-13 12:56 PM
    I don't think they were thinking, and if they were, these guys are idiots. They already had the basic functionality that most of us wanted on the Bold 9900. We just wanted it to work (better).
    I just gave you a rational explanation, as did zerobarrier, both of which shows thinking.

I'm no BlackBerry expert, but I'm willing to take a guess; and my guess is they looked at the millions upon millions of people with touch screen only phones that have absolutely zero problems hanging up a call using an on screen button.
    09-05-13 12:57 PM
    Looking at iPhone users and iPhones was their first mistake. Completely different audience. Idiots.
    09-05-13 01:16 PM
    you just want to speak negatively. My explanation had nothing to do with iphone users, so you ignored it.

You call them idiots, yet I don't see you starting a mobile phone company to answer these problems. You blame blackberry for YELP not having an app for the BB10. Misplaced anger all over.
    09-05-13 01:20 PM
    An NFC hangup patch? Where can I get one of these. Brilliant.

No need to redesign the phone. Give me an alt+spacebar keystroke to end a call from any app and I'd be a little happier.

Though, if these new samsung android flip-phones are any good, I might have to jump ship to let the powers know that I want to end my calls with a satisfying click (whether that be a keystroke or a clamshell closing shut).
    09-05-13 01:27 PM
    you just want to speak negatively. My explanation had nothing to do with iphone users, so you ignored it.

You call them idiots, yet I don't see you starting a mobile phone company to answer these problems. You blame blackberry for YELP not having an app for the BB10. Misplaced anger all over.
    If there's something too difficult or too limited that mainstream apps that worked on their previous devices don't function now and they didn't check this and pre-clear it with key app/software providers before launching out into new territory, then yes they are arrogant idiots.
    09-05-13 01:35 PM
    Look, it was idiotic to not design the Q10 without an end key. The functionality will have to be present if they did release a flip phone (doubtful, but samsung might be onto something). They had one with BlackBerry7 right?

Hell, the iPhone has a physical end key. The power button on an iPhone ends a call. See, even iPhone has it. I forgot how much I used that when I had an iPhone.
    09-05-13 01:49 PM
    Guys, I figured it out. We're all worrying about using face keys to control the phone app when we should have looked elsewhere: the sidekeys.

Say a phone call is active, use the middle sidekey to end the call. Or the down button. Maybe allow users to assign functions to these keys (moreso than what we have now).

I know I don't use the bootleg-siri app, so my middle key is only used when I'm playing music. But no music during a call. Use it to end a call!

Any thoughts? Is this as much of an A Ha moment for anyone else? It seems so obvious and perfect to me.
    09-05-13 01:52 PM
    Look, it was idiotic to not design the Q10 without an end key. The functionality will have to be present if they did release a flip phone (doubtful, but samsung might be onto something). They had one with BlackBerry7 right?

Hell, the iPhone has a physical end key. The power button on an iPhone ends a call. See, even iPhone has it. I forgot how much I used that when I had an iPhone.
    I'm not looking to sell this phone at a loss and have to buy a new device which might have a physical key, if this phone doesn't have one. I would to see a software updates which fixes all these basic functionality and usability problems. I would like a trackpad, but realize this phone doesn't have one. So the answer has to be through software updates which don;t seem to happen very quickly or meaningfully. These guys should be working doubletime to fix all these problems, or refund our money and not charge us until they get this fixed.
    09-05-13 02:03 PM
    Guys, I figured it out. We're all worrying about using face keys to control the phone app when we should have looked elsewhere: the sidekeys.

Say a phone call is active, use the middle sidekey to end the call. Or the down button. Maybe allow users to assign functions to these keys (moreso than what we have now).

I know I don't use the bootleg-siri app, so my middle key is only used when I'm playing music. But no music during a call. Use it to end a call!

Any thoughts? Is this as much of an A Ha moment for anyone else? It seems so obvious and perfect to me.
    The side keys are tied to volume up, volume down, and mute. How can they do double duty. What's wrong with the space bar or a letter?
    09-05-13 02:07 PM

Thats actually a great idea, I would caution that it shouldn't be a default, but an enabled option. I could see people trying to adjust the volume of the call and hanging up by accident. I also liked your space bar + another key combo.

NFC patch, I had to use a combo of the apps myprofiles pro and shorcutme

I had no idea about the samsung flipphones, i'll have to look into them... Somedays I wish i still had my StarTAC to slam shut after a call haha
    09-05-13 02:11 PM
    Let the user define the keys, then. I don't need volume or mute functionality from my sidekeys in a call. Most of all the mute key. Let me define the middle key as mute or end. Problem solved.

The issue with spacebar is that I might need to be typing notes in the notes app or texting someone when I'm on a call. It would need to be a systemwide keystroke. That's why I recommended the alt+spacebar to end a call, but that's inconvenient. The middle sidekey makes leagues more sense.

If it's not a systemwide keystroke, then what's the point of trying to implement it anyway? Sidekeys also don't get accidentally bumped so easily as a spacebar.

It's too bad they did away with the camera shutter key from bb7.
    09-05-13 02:13 PM
    not for nothing, but I do miss the the ability to program the side buttons like in BBOS, it would have been nice if they had left 1 button on the side open to be programed to any app and /or action.

some could use it for the camera, others for ending calls, others for bringing up the keypad to make a call etc.
    09-05-13 02:17 PM
40 12