And I had a really hard time typing on it. I really want a keyboard blackberry but if the q10 is like the curve I tried today...not sure I could do it. The keyboard was super small. Is it just naturally tough at the beginning? What am i missing? Thank you for your time
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    02-02-13 01:28 AM
    1. BlackBerry physical QWERTY keyboards are made so that your fingers adapt. I had a Tour (smallish KB like the Curve) and I could fly on it. Later on I got a Bold 9930 (larger KB) and easily adapted to it as well. So how you start is not how it will end up. Curves have that nice clicky feel.

2. The Bolds in general have larger keys than the Curves. And the new Q10 from what I read has keys that are even 30% larger still.

So the answer is on any QWERTY BB you will learn to type well. But the Q10 will have much larger keys than the Curve if that is your desire.
    02-02-13 01:45 AM
    The keyboard on Q10 will be more comparable to the keyboard on Bold 9900. The keyboard on the curve is no comparison.
    02-02-13 01:49 AM
    And I had a really hard time typing on it. I really want a keyboard blackberry but if the q10 is like the curve I tried today...not sure I could do it. The keyboard was super small. Is it just naturally tough at the beginning? What am i missing? Thank you for your time
    The smaller Curve keyboard has a totally different feel than that of the upper-end BB. You can develop a feel for it, but the experience is definitely different.
    02-02-13 02:58 AM
    I had a chance to be shown the Q10 at the global launch in Johannesburg. He gave me about a 10 minute run through, and it was amazing. The os works well on it, and overall everything looks good and in proportion. However I am still getting used to the aesthetics of the straight keyboard.
    02-02-13 03:44 AM
    Thank you all! Feeling much better about this
    02-02-13 11:58 AM
    I'll just add to help out.... I have a 9700.... it's, I believe, a tad smaller than the newer curves. The Curve is one I never got used to, but I can go to town on my Bold. The key difference (pun not intended but works none the less), is the keys themselves. The way they're edges are raised (can't really explain for some reason but look at pics) makes all the difference. If you're a keyboard kinda person, you'll love it.
    02-02-13 07:21 PM
    Can't agree more there, just yesterday I played with two different Curves at a store. As a 9900 owner, I can say they really can't be compared in terms of keyboard quality. Now I don't want to say the Curve keyboard are bad, but the Bold keyboard is simply on a different, higher league.
    02-02-13 09:12 PM
    I've had three Curves. A grey 8320, a gold 8320 and the grey 8900. They were great phones. The 8320 was the first full qwerty BlackBerry with a camera, and the 8900 felt/looked high end, and was the first BlackBerry to have the "atomic trackball" (it was black and made out of a hard rubber material, so you couldn't see how dirty it got). They were just as good as the BlackBerrys that were "high end" (the 8800/8820 lacked a camera, the Pearl didn't have a full qwerty keyboard).

Then RIM BlackBerry let the Curves go, in a sense. The Curve 8520 was the first BlackBerry to offer the optical trackpad, which was cool (I remember stopping by a T-Mobile store the day it launched, just to SEE what an optical trackpad was). But that was really the only cool feature. The screen resolution and camera megapixel count was worse than its predecessor, the 8900, it did not have a camera with flash, like both the 8900 and 83xx series did. The keys felt more plasticky than both Curve series before it, which already had pretty loud keys.

When the 9300 launched, it still didn't have a camera with a flash, and I knew I'd probably never buy a Curve again, since it was clearly being aimed at the low-end. Then came the 9360, with a 5megapixel camera, a better processor and screen, light-up trackpad, etc., and I finally thought that BlackBerry had launched a decent Curve. I think the Curve 9360 and 9315 look great, and would not mind being given one by work or something. It still is no Bold, and the keyboards are totally different in look and feel. The Q10 is definitely the next Bold, but adopts the new naming system. While I'm kinda sad to see the Bold name disappear, as I've had a Bold of one kind or another since 2008, the Q10 has that Bold-esque keyboard, a great screen, and just looks bada$s... can't wait to get one!
    02-02-13 10:27 PM
    you just can't compare the keyboard on the bold 9900/9930 or the Q10 to a curve... the bold and the Q10 give you a true experience to the blackberry keyboard. The question is, are you ready for it?
    02-02-13 10:46 PM
    The curve is definitely not a good comparison to the Q10.

The Q10 will have the largest qwerty keys of any qwerty phones that RIM has ever made. (don't quote me on that)
    From the looks of the phone, I think it will be a fairly good typing experience. With everything I've seen of the Z10, they're very forward thinking and to make sure the BlackBerry Experience is good.
    If the new keyboard was bad, they wouldn't have made it that way.
    02-02-13 11:46 PM
    Then RIM BlackBerry let the Curves go, in a sense. The Curve 8520 was the first BlackBerry to offer the optical trackpad, which was cool (I remember stopping by a T-Mobile store the day it launched, just to SEE what an optical trackpad was). But that was really the only cool feature. The screen resolution and camera megapixel count was worse than its predecessor, the 8900, it did not have a camera with flash, like both the 8900 and 83xx series did. The keys felt more plasticky than both Curve series before it, which already had pretty loud keys.
    I think it is a little unfair to say they let them go, the 8520 had a specific aim in mind which was to widen the appeal of blackberry into more markets and in that respect the 8520 did great with probably a scary amount of them still being out there.

When the 9300 launched, it still didn't have a camera with a flash, and I knew I'd probably never buy a Curve again, since it was clearly being aimed at the low-end. Then came the 9360, with a 5megapixel camera, a better processor and screen, light-up trackpad, etc., and I finally thought that BlackBerry had launched a decent Curve. I think the Curve 9360 and 9315 look great, and would not mind being given one by work or something.
    Your reactions to the 9300 and the 9360 along with having purchased the 8900 which was more of a 2g Bold than a Curve do tend to indicate that by that point you had moved beyond the Curve range, the 9360 was probably a failure in a lot of places as carriers charged too much for it resulting in people skipping it for the 9790 once that came out. It is interesting that you don't mind the 9315/9320 as that is very much a a descendant of the 8520 in the low end of the market too, albeit with some useful updates like a flash along with the biggest battery of any bb7 device.
    02-03-13 06:44 AM
    the curves have never had stellar keyboards. compare old flagships (bolds) to the Q10.
    02-07-13 12:09 PM
    I have the Curve and I have the opposite feeling, the Q10 might be too big. The biggest advantage of the Curve is that it comfortable in the pocket walking and sitting, unlike carrying a glass brick in your pocket. I'm wondering if BB will release a 10OS device closer in size to the Curve. Oh and yes the small keyboard grows on you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    02-08-13 05:55 PM
    A curve ?? If it were a car it would be a Toyota Yaris.
    02-08-13 06:29 PM
    I doubt we will see a really small bb10 device, you already see limitations with the q10 that would be just too much on a smaller device and give or take variations in casing size I think this is how big all the qwerty devices will be for a while.
    02-09-13 06:13 AM
    greetings from helsinki. just wanted to share my opinions about curve and its qwerty. i have a curve 8520, curve 9300, and currently i'm using bold 9700. keyboard wise, bold is by far the best keyboard i've ever used. i hate typing with curve. that's all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    02-09-13 08:06 AM
    The keyboard on Q10 will be more comparable to the keyboard on Bold 9900. The keyboard on the curve is no comparison.
    Exactly
    02-09-13 09:42 AM
    Holy god, I finally played with a bold 9900 at a TMobile store and I looooove that keyboard. A physical keyboard is a magical thing. *_*
    02-09-13 09:39 PM
    Holy god, I finally played with a bold 9900 at a TMobile store and I looooove that keyboard. A physical keyboard is a magical thing. *_*
    Yes the 9900 kb is bar-none the best text input device in mobile. The 9800 (Torch slider) had an almost identical keyboard design, but had to be just ever so slightly narrower and it was just enough to ruin the experience.

Don't know if you've seen it, but there's the "Crackberry Cradle" method to hold the keyboard in a kind of a cradle with your index fingers and pinkies of both hands, freeing up your thumbs to type on the keyboard. You can get to be EXTREMELY fast with it.
    02-09-13 09:46 PM
    I doubt we will see a really small bb10 device, you already see limitations with the q10 that would be just too much on a smaller device and give or take variations in casing size I think this is how big all the qwerty devices will be for a while.
    Yes ... as long as people continue to buy the Curve no need to replace it.

BlackBerry: no budget BB10 phones in 2013 | News | TechRadar

I have to say , I bet BB9900 users will not find the Q10 as big of a step up as they hoped. E-mails, texting and the internet experience will not dramatically improve. It will be better but not contract breaking better.
    02-09-13 10:06 PM
    Yes the 9900 kb is bar-none the best text input device in mobile. The 9800 (Torch slider) had an almost identical keyboard design, but had to be just ever so slightly narrower and it was just enough to ruin the experience.

Don't know if you've seen it, but there's the "Crackberry Cradle" method to hold the keyboard in a kind of a cradle with your index fingers and pinkies of both hands, freeing up your thumbs to type on the keyboard. You can get to be EXTREMELY fast with it.
    I actually have! My friend had a blackberry and did that very same thing. Never was interested in BB so never asked to look at it but wish I did.
    02-09-13 10:08 PM
    I use the curve 9310. Have big hands, getting ok on the keypad....still better than
    virtual. Also, this model does have flash with the camera.
    I'm sure you tech experts know that the higher pixel camera does not a better
    picture make. 3.2 is fine on this device.
    02-09-13 10:20 PM