How will Q10 users use their devices differently than Z10 users?

What business or productivity applications would make a lot of sense?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 02:17 PM
    How will Q10 users use their devices differently than Z10 users?

What business or productivity applications would make a lot of sense?

Text entry.

Despite all the gushing enthusiasm for the BB10 keyboard, as a longtime physical-keyboard fan on smartphones and a 100wpm desktop computer typist, I have found it to be a disaster.

Unfortunately, the lack of a physical cursor positioning mechanism (ie trackpad/trackball) and the current sad state of the text-editing/cursor-positioning tools in BB10 does not leave me particularly enthusiastic that my productivity with the Q10 will even reach what I could do with my old Blackberry, when it comes to entering text.

We shall see. If I'm forced to buy the Q10 in addition to the Z10, it will cost me a lot of money for that learning-experience because I will no longer qualify for a subsidized price on the device like I did with the Z10.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    04-09-13 02:36 PM
    Yep - for people who type a lot of names, addresses (or anything that's not normal everyday texting) the Z10 is horrid. And the trackpad was awesome for precision selection of text. Like I keep saying to people asking about the Z10, "it's an iPhone with BBM." For some that's awesome news, but for Blackberry power users it's not what they want to hear. It's like the BB10 developers were in a bubble completely isolated from the OS7 vets who made Blackberry what it is today.

However for me, what's even worse is the price for the Q10. Telus is selling it outright for $700. That's in Apple fanboi territory. Sorry. I got all excited and waited eagerly for the Q10 but that bubble burst for me.

Especially consider that because of the screen size, many apps designed only for the Z10 won't run on the Q10 (think games and other full-screen apps) unless the developers rejig their entire interface.

Where the OS stands today, without the OS7 BB features you're worse off with BB10 on a Q10 than you are with a 9900. Why? If you're on BES, your company needs to specifically support your Q10 with BES10. That's unlikely if you're in a large company that needs to evaluate software/hardware and train IT staff. EAS may be available if your company decides it doesn't need as much control over the device as with BES. And unless the 'features' list for 10.1 is incomplete there's no word on email filtering, level 1 notifications, customized alert sounds, profiles... yes I'm running Hub++ on my Z10 as a workaround. A good workaround at that but a workaround.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    04-09-13 11:23 PM
    Like I keep saying to people asking about the Z10, "it's an iPhone with BBM."
    I disagree with that, quite a lot actually. The experiences are completely different. That's like saying the Nexus 4 is a bigger iPhone.
    sam_tek likes this.
    04-09-13 11:50 PM
    My work went from Blackberries to iPhones. All of us hate it (I swear it's the execs' kids saying 'hey mom/dad look at how cool our iphones are!' and they demanded them.) In our line of work we email a lot of contacts, addresses, work-related terms, etc. that aren't part of everyday conversations like "hey what r u doing later tonight?" My Z10 is connected to my work through EAS to test it out since it's really no different than an iPhone as far as IT is concerned. And from MY perspective (I know it differs from many) transitioning from the 9900 to the Z10, those things above that I mentioned are the most missed OS features apart from the keyboard and trackpad which is why I was excited about the Q10.

I had 30+ filters going on BIS with do not forward, forward w/level 1, silent alerts, 'loud' alerts, different noise alerts, etc. so I knew exactly what came into my BB so I know if I can ignore it or it's important. Now, Hub++ is doing most of this on the Z10 so it's not a total loss. And the best part is, when travelling, I can turn filters on and off to save on roaming fees and so I won't get bothered!

Although I do enjoy playing games (I love Yello and Funky Smugglers) on the Z10, enough to get a low battery alert (oops). My phone is a tool, and the 9900 fit the bill almost perfectly despite its legacy BBOS quirks.

Well, I hope Blackberry comes out with a Torch-like BB10 device... Z10 screen size with a keyboard and 'gasp' maybe a trackpad? Probably not.
    04-10-13 12:24 AM
    Would you all be interested in an app that's essentially word substitution on steriods?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:00 AM